• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

How to carry a long rifle on a horse.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First, I have no horse but love them.
The posts about having the horse used to gun fire is ABSOLUTE, but sounds like your is - however; has it been around Muzzleloaders (black powder, smoke and all)??
As one who has ran with Civil War groups and Calvary; having the critters used to the Bang AND the Smoke is vital. It may be used to a modern rifle blast but be sure he/she dont spook when a Differnt blast is near.
Our 'horse guy' takes his out regular to make sure all the horses are able to handle both pistol and rifle/musket noises.

That aside: I have usually read that most "Mountain Men" of the day had more then one horse but rather one for riding and at least one Pack Horse...after all, they needed to Pack Out all them furs, as well as Pack In all their supplies. Mountain men did not normally hunt from horseback, just saying.

First, I have no horse but love them.
The posts about having the horse used to gun fire is ABSOLUTE, but sounds like your is - however; has it been around Muzzleloaders (black powder, smoke and all)??
As one who has ran with Civil War groups and Calvary; having the critters used to the Bang AND the Smoke is vital. It may be used to a modern rifle blast but be sure he/she dont spook when a Differnt blast is near.
Our 'horse guy' takes his out regular to make sure all the horses are able to handle both pistol and rifle/musket noises.

That aside: I have usually read that most "Mountain Men" of the day had more then one horse but rather one for riding and at least one Pack Horse...after all, they needed to Pack Out all them furs, as well as Pack In all their supplies. Mountain men did not normally hunt from horseback, just saying.
My goal is to introduce her to black powder after a while. I have found that shooting and then feeding a horse a positive response overall.

I’m not sure either why horses are miserable. I find them loyal and good companions. I guess it depends on the horse.

I’m also thinking of riding with a cheap traditions Kentucky, until I get used to carrying it across my lap.

War of 1812, don't recall the reference. Indians in Midwest were impressed with how Americans shot squirrels from the saddle.
This was when Gen'l XXX was headed North trying to get Tecumseh. Those familiar with that war can fill in details.

War of 1812, don't recall the reference. Indians in Midwest were impressed with how Americans shot squirrels from the saddle.
This was when Gen'l XXX was headed North trying to get Tecumseh. Those familiar with that war can fill in details.

Okay now that is cool

I have a great Kibler colonial and new horse. Hope to ride into a hunting great hunting spot this fall

what is the best way to tote a long rifle on horseback.
Very carefully... Hey did you know that you can rest the barrel between the ears on the horse...makes a great gun rest for shooting.... ROFLMAO I couldn't resist. My dad told me a story of a guy who did that......once...

Very carefully... Hey did you know that you can rest the barrel between the ears on the horse...makes a great gun rest for shooting.... ROFLMAO I couldn't resist. My dad told me a story of a guy who did that......once...
I knew a guy who bulldogged a mule deer off the passenger-side running board of a Jeep... once...

I wonder how much time long hunters spent on horseback though, as opposed to walking and leading packhorses through the woods? I don't know much about how they operated, but a long gun on horseback in dense woods seems it could be problematic.
You have to remember that the woods weren’t especially dense. These were climax forests with thick canopies and little undergrowth. In his “Notes on the Map of Virginia,” John Smith specifically mentions how open the woods were, saying “a man may gallop a horse amongst these woods any waie, but where the creekes or Rivers shall hinder.”
Jay

"Blanket questions"? He asked only one, about the best way to tote a long rifle on horseback. Which seemed like a totally reasonable question to everyone else on this thread... And you come back with manure like, "honestly, have you ever loaded gear on your horse?" Really?
Ty, Considering that this is the 21st century. And that this is a forum about traditional guns, not new horse owners. It's reasonable to understand that most that would post here are over 18 and somewhat experienced with the concept of basic internet research .
To quote you "how to tote a long rifle on horseback" is directly related to,, as I said,, loaded gear on your horse.
A "person" sitting in a saddle on a horse alone, feels different to the horse then the same with "extra stuff" attached to the same animal.
That is horse forum issue, not guns. There are so many issues around the animal alone before you consider a gun,,
Open carry comes to mind, a rifle scabbard comes to mind, shooting of said carry comes to mind when around animals considering there are laws in most states about just that,,
And you chastise me here while quoting a "woodboat magazine?
I'm sorry to have offended you.
Perhaps the OP could re-consider and ask what kind of offerings there are for legal carry scabbards available for his state regulations,, Or if "open carry" is a wise thing to do while riding a horse while hunting,,

I knew a guy who bulldogged a mule deer off the passenger-side running board of a Jeep... once...

I knew a kid who once caught a mule deer by the hind leg on a steep, loose rocky hillside after running her down with a friend....once.

That kid was me as as teenager...teenagers do some Really Stupid things....once

Ty, Considering that this is the 21st century. And that this is a forum about traditional guns, not new horse owners. It's reasonable to understand that most that would post here are over 18 and somewhat experienced with the concept of basic internet research .
To quote you "how to tote a long rifle on horseback" is directly related to,, as I said,, loaded gear on your horse.
A "person" sitting in a saddle on a horse alone, feels different to the horse then the same with "extra stuff" attached to the same animal.
That is horse forum issue, not guns. There are so many issues around the animal alone before you consider a gun,,
Open carry comes to mind, a rifle scabbard comes to mind, shooting of said carry comes to mind when around animals considering there are laws in most states about just that,,
Perhaps the OP could re-consider and ask what kind of offerings there are for legal carry scabbards available for his state regulations,, Or if "open carry" is a wise thing to do while riding a horse while hunting,,
Am I the only one here who thinks this is just a pile of irrelevant verbiage, that has nothing to do with the original poster's question? It makes no attempt at all to answer it...

Last edited:
I have owned long rifles most of my life, I have owned horses somewhat longer since my youth. I have carried rifles of all types on horses and on different types of saddles. With plantation saddles from the colonial age there were no saddle horns to hang a long rifle from, so one had to carry it by hand unless one had some form of a scabbard or frog to carry it in. Some plantation saddles had a ring or bar up front on either side to tie or hang items from. Later Spanish saddles came about and one could place a thong tied to a rifle on over the horn muzzle down at the shoulder. I prefer the right side. Depending on the length of the rife it may take two hands to get a long rifle out of a scabbard. I preferred a leather thong loop over the horn. In timber or brush I prefer to hand carry the long rifle as so I can maneuver it around as so it does not get beat up or worse broke.

I’ve been nice so let me clear up things because you are being condescending at this point and I am trying to be respectful to you.

number one, this question directly related to this sight. A large component of this webpage goes into history and the use of a Muzzloader in traditional ways.

the traditional carry of 1800 century arms is in fact relevant.

number two, I have been a gun owner and have carried fire arms legally in this state for 20 years. I have been employed by a lawyer in the past who dealt with gun carry issues. Infact I have the legal reference material that is used in case law.

Per Florida law open carry is specifically allowed during all hunting, fishing activities.

thank you to all who have answered my questions and have really enjoyed and will continue to enjoy further discussion on frontier carry and horses in regards tohunting with historical muzzleloaders.

To all those complaining.

I am a competent rider and outdoorsman who knows laws and horse husbandry.
Just wanted to include great things together.
please please stop 20 questions on things not related and use your car, motorcycles or mobility scooters to transport your weapons.
I’ll do what my forefathers did.

I rigged a sling to carry mine as I didn't have a scabbard suitable with longer barrel. Be aware of branches is biggest hint of my experience

I rigged a sling to carry mine as I didn't have a scabbard suitable with longer barrel. Be aware of branches is biggest hint of my experience
Thank you I agree that with a long barrel that will be my biggest problem. My youngest son has a growing entered in living history hunting and muzzloaders etc.
He has had a small horse for a while. I’m thinking he would love to tag along.

One last thing to add to those who do not think it is relevant.
I have seen discussion on what thread stitching is historical.

the proper carry of a long rifle on horseback is at least on par with stitching.

Last edited:
I have a great Kibler colonial and new horse. Hope to ride into a hunting great hunting spot this fall

what is the best way to tote a long rifle on horseback.
I can't help you with the long gun issue but for two years I was on the mounted patrol for a nearby police department and carries my sidearm in a holster on my hip.
Perhaps a modified rifle scabbard could be fashioned, depending on the overall length of your rifle and how many hands your horse is.

I’m confused by the response.

I am blessed to live near a large management area that restricts off road vehicles but allows horses.

I love shooting flintlocks
I love to ride
I love the woods.

Seemed like fun to me.
My take ?? It has been done as long as riders and rifles have been paired up !! Lay it across your legs behind the saddle pommel , or , hang it from your pommel with a leather loop , with the barrel tucked between your leg and the stirrup strap . Both ways are fairly secure and not bothersome to your steed !! KNOWING your animal , and developing a trust between the two of you is extremely important to both of your safety and pleasure . I see some dastardly comments on these big beauties , but it just tells me that some people have not , or won't spend the time required to make both parties act as one . Good Hunting !!

I can't help you with the long gun issue but for two years I was on the mounted patrol for a nearby police department and carries my sidearm in a holster on my hip.
Perhaps a modified rifle scabbard could be fashioned, depending on the overall length of your rifle and how many hands your horse is.
16 hands. A custom scabbard is not something I thought about.

Back