• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How many here tried engraving?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was thinking about teaching myself how to do it. Perhaps do some Celtic knotwork relief patterns on the wood stock of some kit guns.

How many here do this?

I bought a few gravers and chisels with the intent of doing some small work on a rifle build. After practicing on scraps of wood and brass, I also put them away. There is a learning curve and I am obviously still at the bottom. :(

Maybe on a future build after a lot more practice.

Engraving and carving are not the same. You appear to want to carve, start simple with very sharp tools on a piece of plane hard wood. You’ll soon know if the work suits you.

Get the book "Engraving Historical Firearms". It walks you through a lot of the first steps. Key to both engraving and carving is having sharp tools, good lighting, good wood work holding tools (vices), and a comfortable place to sit during your work. And an ability to see what you're doing.

The videos you will see show people removing vast amounts of wood using mallet-driven tools. DON'T DO IT! Use small push driven tools (at least at the start) before you even think about driving things with a mallet. You want to master control. Small tools make small mistakes that can be corrected. Big tools make big mistakes that can not.

Engraving is of course different (than carving) because the substrate is harder. Gravers are driven with small hammers. Metal is also generally more consistent than wood in its' hardness. Just go slow, and start your first few cuts as shallow ones. But in the end, engraving is essentially incise carving in metal.

As with any skill, desire, patience, and becoming your own worst critic are paramount to progress.

Last edited:
I have started incise carving and want to do some simple engraving as well. maybe on a future build. with all things there is a learning curve and mistakes cannot be undone. What is more important than trying to be perfect is to just get started. get the tools and scrap and mess around. one does not need to be a master to learn a new skill.

The thing about incise carving is that it goes faster, but is actually harder to do than raised carving. Why? Because incise carving is a ditch in the wood. If it's in the wrong spot, or too wide, you can't fill it in. That happens with all carving, where you get an "elbow" that develops in a curve that needs smoothing out. With raised carving you can alter the shape somewhat in other spots to make it smooth.

Key to both of course is your drawing. Spend PLENTY of time on that. Draw, erase, repeat until satisfied. Then start with very fine push tools. At first you're barely going to cut in a line, like 1/32" or even finer. Look at it. Odds are that there will be an "elbow" (or several) that aren't too smooth in the curves. Now you actually CAN correct it. When widening the incise you can cut more off the inside, and then the outsides where needed. If it's REALLY off (and it shouldn't be too bad because of all the time you took in drawing) you can cut another, because the scratch is so shallow it will just sand away when you are preparing the stock for finishing. Keep widening and deepening the cuts until you are at your final width and depth.

It's best to do one carving area (the butt carving for instance) all at once rather than individual tendrils and volutes until you're happy with that one individual. That way you can step back and look at the whole. carving in totality (I call it the 3' rule) to gauge the overall impression. There will be a central focus area where your eye naturally centers, and then things will radiate outward with your eye's attention. Just go slow. I take a LOT of time in carving. I might spend as much as 40-50 hours on each carving attention area [butt, wrist, tang, enter pipe (sides and bottom)] between drawing, erasing, and carving.

Then, as you move to another area (wrist for instance) you can keep coming back to it over and over as you progress in your build. Having some time away from your last focus area can give you a "fresh set of eyes". For most guys, carving and engraving are the "fun part" of building, so take your time and enjoy it.

Of course, it's all for naught if the gun is unsafe, not functional, has poor inletting, the architecture is poorly executed, or the stain and finish is bad. You'll just have nice earrings on an ugly pig.

Last edited:
The thing about incise carving is that it goes faster, but is actually harder to do than raised carving. Why? Because incise carving is a ditch in the wood. If it's in the wrong spot, or too wide, you can't fill it in. That happens with all carving, where you get an "elbow" that develops in a curve that needs smoothing out. With raised carving you can alter the shape somewhat in other spots to make it smooth.

Key to both of course is your drawing. Spend PLENTY of time on that. Draw, erase, repeat until satisfied. Then start with very fine push tools. At first you're barely going to cut in a line, like 1/32" or even finer. Look at it. Odds are that there will be an "elbow" (or several) that aren't too smooth in the curves. Now you actually CAN correct it. When widening the incise you can cut more off the inside, and then the outsides where needed. If it's REALLY off (and it shouldn't be too bad because of all the time you took in drawing) you can cut another, because the scratch is so shallow it will just sand away when you are preparing the stock for finishing. Keep widening and deepening the cuts until you are at your final width and depth.

It's best to do one carving area (the butt carving for instance) all at once rather than individual tendrils and volutes until you're happy with that one individual. That way you can step back and look at the whole. carving in totality (I call it the 3' rule) to gauge the overall impression. There will be a central focus area where your eye naturally centers, and then things will radiate outward with your eye's attention. Just go slow. I take a LOT of time in carving. I might spend as much as 40-50 hours on each carving attention area [butt, wrist, tang, enter pipe (sides and bottom)] between drawing, erasing, and carving.
Better basic walkthrough than I was gonna give, bravo!

Wood carving and metal carving are the same, it's just that your materials are different, and so your techniques and tools have to adjust to accommodate that.

If you can draw you can engrave. The pattern you start with has to be your guide. Below are a few pages from my pattern book. I would first draw the patch box or whatever inlay I wanted to use, to size, and then copy that to the rifle inlay. I did the same thing for carving patterns.

I once knew a fellow who decided he would make rifles for people but did not have good eye/hand coordination. His carvings and his engraving were, at best, crude. I'm sure he could have become better at it but he was in a hurry. I suppose some people just do have the skill set.

Engraving brass or German silver is not difficult. The metal is relatively soft compared to barrel tangs or barrels or lock plates.

How to sharpen engraving tools can be learned through books on the subject.

It is quite rewarding when you finish the engraving, and all the curves are graceful, and the design looks like the pattern.

IMG_6158.JPG
IMG_6159.JPG

Hi,
The OP never answered my question. What does he mean by engraving on his stock. Carving? Wood block style engraving? Wood burning?

A corollary to the comments above:
"Winners never quit and quitters never win, but he who never wins and never quits is an idiot."

dave

Back