• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How I Stripe my Ram Rods. A how-to video.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I pretty much do the same but I use painters masking tape and I follow the spiral with the torch and clean off with Shellite or Coleman Fuel - a light stain; a coat or two of Tru-Oil then use Boiled Linseed after that.

I pretty much do the same but I use painters masking tape and I follow the spiral with the torch and clean off with Shellite or Coleman Fuel - a light stain; a coat or two of Tru-Oil then use Boiled Linseed after that.
I think painters tape melts to the wood and is too difficult to remove. I also stain, color depending on the stock color. I use Tung Oil then BriWax. However, thanks for sharing. All ideas are welcome. :thumb: Semper Fi

I striped mine. I used a light flame from a torch and went round and round from tip to bottom. I then rubbed in several coats of coal oil.
Ohio Rusty ><>

Attachments

• ramrod.JPG
    ramrod.JPG
    983.7 KB · Views: 1
A striped ramrod is easier to find on the forest floor if you for some reason put it there. I used to soak my hickory rods in kerosene or coal oil for buggy whip flexibility but it would not take on stain and burned bad when using a torch. Painter's masking tape spiraled in the same rate of twist as the rifling in the barrel, trace with pencil and brush on a stain. Some bleeding of stain ( like Fiebing's leather dye) under tape unless burnished heavily. Remove tape, sand pattern to liking and then seal with spar varnish. If I use a denatured alcohol patch to remove any left over moisture from cleaning before oiling or lubing, the alcohol will soften the varnish. I think rods were spiral decorated for looks. Hacker Martin and some of the early 20th century gunsmiths had them in their rifles. Not too many surviving original ramrods from French and Indian and Rev war but how many of them were striped?

Never had any desire to stripe a rod but now I'm thinking of doing it. Looks like fun!

What's the little animal in the blue bowl!!
The critter is one of my Bantam Hens. Last fall when she molted, her feathers didn't grow back. I couldn't leave her outdoors in the winter without feathers. So, I keep her in my heated workshop 'til it warms up this spring. She has since molted again, and her feathers grew in. Semper Fi

As a newbie what it the purpose of striping a ram rod? Does is make ramming betterer?
Yes, traditionally seen in the south. It has been credited with the victory at New Orleans, and played a decisive roll at San Jauncinto
Later during the Mexican war Scott was stymied at Vera cruz until a shipment arrived
Unfortunately if you ran any sort of conical it slows the loading and causes the shot to go low and to the right. Adjusting the sites to try and compensate will only cause it to get worse.
This was the cause of the south loss in the late unpleasantness with the north

I knew the lack of striped rods led to the end of the war of northern aggression.

Honestly thanks for this - this hobby is sucking all free time away.

I also enjoyed your video. Thing that appeals to me is the UNprecise lines making your burnthrough on the tape a very natural appearance. Thanks for the tutorial.

I've looked a few times, but never found the video of any stripper...oh, that's striper, not striped bass. Anyways, how can I take a gander at this video, please?
I've done mine free-hand and was quite satisfied with my results. Howsomever, I don't think I've seen any old originals with such stripes, so....

Back