• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

how do i adjust elevation?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newtothis

40 Cal.
Reaction score
ok so my new varmit rifle hits about three inches low and two inches left. i have never had a gun with fixed sights, so i dont know how to fix it. the rear sight is set in a groove lookin thing in the barrel and can be tapped a little one way or the other to adjust for windage, but i cant figure out what to do about the elivation. i shoot an extreamly fine bead, so would shooting a fuller bead help? fileing the notch deeper should lower the point of impact right? soooo how do i rase it? lol sorry i know it seems like an idiotic question but i cant figure out what to do about it.

You could file the front site down, but . . . remember it is hard to "un-file" anything.

I'd only put a file to it if you are sure that is the load your gonna use.

For windage you tap the rear site in the direction you want the bullet to go.

If your rifle is grouping low then lower/file down the front sight. If grouping high then you install a taller front sight. Most rifles will come with a sight that is too tall so you can lower it as you need. Be careful and make sure your rifle is grouping well and you have decided on a ball, patch, powder charge combo. As said before, you can't un-file.

filing the notch deeper will not lower the impact if you do not file the shoulders of the rear sight down as well. (When you have a proper sight picture you should be focusing on the front sight with it centered in the rear notch but with the top of the front sight even with the top of the rear sight.)

If your rear sight is centered and you need to drift the front sight, you must drift it toward the direction that the rounds are alreadi grouping in. Likewise if you are hitting low, you must file the front sight down a bit.

As was already mentioned, go slow, taking metal off is easy, putting it back is much more difficult. Also, the wise advice of making sure you have decided on the load you want to use as well as the range you plan to shoot at.

Another option if you wanted reduced load marks on your rear sight leaf you could carefully etch lines in the rear sight and then use some brass to fill-in/inlay the line to make it visible when focusing on the front sight. This would give you a second elevation reference that would be repeatable or shooting a load that strikes below point of aim, compared to your regular full load.

quote "i shoot an extreamly fine bead, so would shooting a fuller bead help? fileing the notch deeper should lower the point of impact right?"

Shooting a fine bead and deepening the notch would lower the POI, yes.

Best option is to drift the rear sight in the dovetail to the right to get windage. Then level the front and rear sights and fire for POI. Then adjust front or rear sight as appropriate for elevation.

TC

You carefully file the front sight to raise your point of aim! DO NOT file your rear sight (it will lower your point of aim even more). Windage you move the REAR sight by tapping it in the direction that you want to move your point of aim. ( To change your windage using the FRONT sight you tap the front sight in the OPPOSITE direction that you want your point of aim.) Clear as mud huh! :grin:

Rogue River said:
Clear as mud huh! :grin:
lol the turn-screw adjustments are so much easyer!! lol. ok so my rear sight is kind of a buckhorn sight, like a deep U shape where the tips almost come back in and touch eachother at the top. looks like looking head on at a pronghorn. sooo untill im ready to file the sight i could, instead of takeing my usual fine bead in the rear sight, i could maby float the tip of my front sight up to about the middle of my U shaped rear and that sould raise POI right? man i have put entirely to much though into this it aint that complicated.

Back