• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hornet Nest Wadding

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, the barrel itself gets dirty.
I use the bees nesting for my wadding bc it is simple cheap and fast to reload. I just keep it in my pocket, but yes it does get a little dirty. When I’m squirrel hunting fast reloads arnt necessary for me the reload time gives the woods some time to calm down. What I like to do is have a small plastic wine bottle (wine has already been consumed haha) and fill it with 90% rubbing alcohol, I used this in between each couple shots to swab the bore and a quick wipe down of my lock and flint. This insures me that my next shot will go off quick and effective as well. You don’t really have to do it every shot but I do like to at least do a dry patch through after each shot and a quick wipe down. But that’s what works for me when using the bees homes for wadding

I use any kind of bee or wasp nest interchangeably. It works great and was my favorite until I figured out my shot card combo. I generally just keep my eye out during winter and knock down whatever I find. Ive never found anything live inside but I also only do it in New England or PA during winter. It compresses so well.

I use any kind of bee or wasp nest interchangeably. It works great and was my favorite until I figured out my shot card combo. I generally just keep my eye out during winter and knock down whatever I find. Ive never found anything live inside but I also only do it in New England or PA during winter. It compresses so well.

Edit: sorry about the double post. I dont know how to delete the second one.

My girlfriend found this off the side of the road today
image.jpg
My early Xmas present!!

Makes me wonder if someone cut it off a tree and the bees warmed up as they were going down the road and started flying around inside vehicle. Thrown out the window 🤣 to save themselves

I've used it a few times with little enthusiasm, but just to say I have done it. I'd rather use tow -- and the corn husk idea is interesting.
"Now search for tow, and some old saddle pierce. No wadding lies so close and drives so fierce ..." Pteryplegia

Hi everyone,

I have heard of lots of you using bald face hornet nests for shotgun wadding. How do you harvest the nests? To use them for historically correct wadding?
A damn long pole or ive shot them down before ....get them and in the winter time ! I'm always looking in the trees for them . I have three in my sights now . I'm going to stop and ask the folks if I can get them out of their trees ...I bet they say yes ! :)

Oh yes .... Not trying to be a know it all but its the outside covering not the nest proper . Folks on some other forums seem to think its the actual next inside . Now ....dont gete wrong you can use the inside and you can use old wasp nest too just make sure the holes are empty with more grubs in there .... Messy messy ! LOL ....green grass works good too but most hunting is done in the fall and winter , obviously , so a hand gull of hornets nest thrown in the hunting pouch is handy . it won't burn so doesn't smolder or catch the leaves on fire after its been shot .

I watched an old movie clip of Eskimo's hunting spring geese with black powder shotguns and they were using a wad of grass, shot, and another wad of grass over the shot. They were knocking them out of the sky pretty good! I imagine in the old days they used whatever worked....................

Back