• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hopkin & Allen Underhammers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First shot on the x next 4 cloverleafed above.
578EFD32-E588-4E67-87F4-C0A3CC4B555C.jpeg

Numrich was able to do it but I wouldn't try myself. I guess you could drill and tap up into the barrel but I'm not in favor of that method myself. If you look at the photo in the link below you'll see the way they attach the forearm with a combo ramrod guide and forearm attachment screw that dovetails into the barrel. They are available for separate sale but a little pricey. Under barrel lugs and wedges would work but you would need to add an under rib for the ramrod.

http://www.longrifles-pr.com/underhammer.shtml

The picture gets clearer and clearer. :) so, next question, how does it work out as far as ramrod length goes. It seems that the nipple and hammer (in the fired position) would limit the length of the rod. ??

As a boy I scrolled through Gun Digest and Shooter's Bibles as if Christmas catalogs. Muzzleloader attracted my interest and back then H&A advertised the Minuteman, a sidelock long rifle, and an assortment of underhammer models. There was also sidelock half stock rifle I can't recall the model of. If I remember correctly the underhammer models were reasonably priced.

Watching auction sites the H&A underhammer models seem to bring fairly high prices for what they seem to be. I've no experience with them, does anyone know what makes them attractive on the used market?

When I ordered my Heritage model .45 they came in only 2 calibers, .45 & .36. Their catalog, I still have it, was almost "pamphlet" size. I ordered the Heritage model with gain twist rifling. Those UH rifles were incredibly accurate with very fine barrels. In the late 1960s I ordered a flintlock Minuteman longrifle in .45. It was an excellent rifle, reliable and accurate. The only downside was the muzzle heaviness of the 39" barrel. I regret that I eventually sold it. Another thing, they both came with very nice leather rifle cases, one of which I still have and use. The Heritage also came with two old cans of WWII "rifle cleaner". Incredibly it cleaned the bores quickly and completely; the UH bore remains pristine to this day.

The picture gets clearer and clearer. :) so, next question, how does it work out as far as ramrod length goes. It seems that the nipple and hammer (in the fired position) would limit the length of the rod. ??

They do as with most underhammers unless you don't mind a ramrod sticking out past the muzzle. It's not as bad as it sounds since the nipple is almost on the face of the breech and with powder and a ball the ramrod will stick out of the barrel by that much.

H&A under hammer rifles are very good shooters and very neat.The truth is how ever is That the original Hopkins & Allen co. Never made muzzle loaders they were famous for inexpensive revolvers and shotgun s early breech loaders The Hopkins &Allen under hammers were the Brain Child of Numirch arms co.West Hurley NY. Made its appearance on the market in early 1960s utill the late 1970s when Numrich arms sold out the brand to a buyer in NJ.who continued offer the under hammers for a few years till they closed their doors.The H&A /Numich arms under hammers rifles were some of first mass produced muzzle loaders of the modern era.Though not a true replica it certainly has the appearance of the classic New England Under hammer rifle.These under hammer rifles ,shotguns and Pistols are becoming quite collectable in their own right

I feel fortunate to have been able to buy one about 20 years ago, from a classified ad in the local newspaper. (remember those?) I think I gave about $100 for it. The buggy rifle, 45 caliber with a really short barrel. I ended up reshaping the buttstock and adding a nice Neidner type plate to replace the plastic one it came with. Someday I'll get around to doing the forestock to match... Anyhow, it is a great accurate little rifle that I have had plans for making interchangeable front ends for eventually.

Back