• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hooked a friend.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Over this summer I had some friends camp out and spend a couple weeks. Well durring that time I taught the guys the basics of how to load and fire a percusion cap rifle.
Turns out my friend who out of the group of guys seemed the most distant and uninterested in the shooting, has gotten a fire arms permit (he is Canadian) and is planing on getting a BP rifle as soon as he can afford it.
It turns out he was impressed with how easy the 'primitive gun' was to load and fire.
:grin:

That's great, cynthialee! Taking time to share the fun we have with these "old guns" is the way to grow the sport of muzzleloading :hatsoff:

nice job!

a firearm permit?? i knew canada was bad but i didnt realize they were that bad.

-Matt

cynthialee said:
I figured it was going to be the guy who was watching my every move that would have gotten the bug.

LOL maybe he was watching something else

Matt85 said:
nice job!

a firearm permit?? i knew canada was bad but i didnt realize they were that bad.

-Matt

Indeed! Up here, in order to legally buy any type of firearm, one must obtain a Possession and acquisition license. The pre-requisites are a firearms safety course, a background check, and spousal consent.

But that is not much of an issue with Canadian gun owners, if it can make it harder for criminals to procure guns. (That is the theory!)

We also have a gun registry. Our wonderful government has decided several years ago that it must keep track of every legally owned gun in this country. Only true antiques are not subject to registration. (Of course, the criminals do not register their guns, as they are not legally entitled to own them)

Several months ago, the registry was partly abolished, as far as long guns are concerned. One province (Quebec) has taken the Canadian government to court to preserve the long gun registry. It has succeded thus far.

having to register your firearm is a scary prospect... i think i would leave canada. is it even possible to build your own gun up there?

-matt

Nowadays, the long gun registry only applies in Quebec. If you were to build your own ML, and you live in Quebec, you would have to register it prior to reaching the point where it is a functional firearm.

This does not apply to flintlocks, which are exempt from registration, as they are considered "antiques" even if brand new,

Went shooting with the group that I got into BP. on a previous post. Two of there friends showed up with in-lines. One of them made fun of the flints. Had some fun with him. Told him to get his backside off of the bench and we would go at it offhand at 100 yds. He is up first ( and I couldnt resist) and I told him that his barrel was really moving all over the place. The next shot I said that I thought he flinched. Well you know what his target looked like. My turn and some how these old blind eyes kept a 3 inch group at 100 yds. Told him to trade it in and get a real weapon. Then felt bad for him and decided to teach him how to shoot offhand and not to let someone get into his head. Had him shooting my weapons and he had a ball once he kept his head glued to the stock. Had a great day with all the people and now he is thinking about trading the in-line in and buying a real weapon. Said he coulding believe how much fun they were. His friend said he might consider hunting with one but it would have to wait until next year as he is going to hunt with it this year. Oh well one is better than none, and since both of these guys shoot together all the time maybe he will see the light.

Matt85 said:
having to register your firearm is a scary prospect... i think i would leave canada. is it even possible to build your own gun up there?

-matt

Yup, we have our problems with regulation.

But as a private citizen, I can cast and sell round ball and bullets to whoever I want and can send guns and gun parts to the States without restrictions or permits.
Lead bans? What are those? Heh Heh

I think both our countries have a problem with being over regulated. :stir:

Back to the original topic, I am taking a fellow out on Sunday who has never shot a black powder gun before. I am also teaching a young lad how to cast round ball next week, as he just purchased an old caplock at the last gunshow.

This year we built our own black powder range at the club, but on occasion I still go down to the centerfire range to shoot. I use it as an excuse to let modern shooters shoot my guns if they wish and hopefully pull a few more over to the dark side. :wink:

Back