• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Scope mount hole fix

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awreis

36 Cl.
Reaction score
I was recently given a TC New Englander that the previous owner drilled for scope mounts. The problem is they drilled all of the way through the top of the barrel. My question is, would it be safe if I installed a screw with loctite the same thickness as the barrel where it didn't stick out the bottom to plug the hole. My other thought for a permanent fix would be, install screw to correct depth, cut off excess and weld it in place. What are your all's thoughts?

.... The problem is they drilled all of the way through the top of the barrel. My question is, would it be safe if I installed a screw with loctite the same thickness as the barrel ....
No, it wouldn't be safe. The barrel's ability to contain the pressure loads from powder ignition has been compromised. There may be another solution; I don't know. But locktited screws aren't the answer. I'd suggest consulting a black powder competent gunsmith.

So lets say the screws blow out from the pressure? Where they gonna go? Up......not back, not sideways but up. Put your hand out and catch on the way down before they hit the ground and you lose em.

Is it ideal? No of course not. It is not breech plug that comes backwards. Probably was shot just fine with the scope mounted.

if I did that, I would mount it in a tire and shoot it with a max load...and still would not trust it.
If you could get it lined, that is a different story. It might not be worth the expense to you.

I read of a gunsmith that was given a modern rifle that had the same problem. He just epoxied a screw in the hole and lapped the bore in that area. It held. But I’d get an experts opinion first.

I would not have a problem with it holding the pressure if the threads were in good condition and we can assume they are fine threads if they were for mounting a scope. Black powder just does not develop the pressures that smokeless does.

What I would have a problem with is, even if you get the threads on the inside of the barrel exactly flush, you are still going to have an imperfection in the bore that will retain fouling and I would worry about rust pitting in time.
Also, two dissimilar metals in contact.

If it was mine, I would contact Bobby Hoyt about installing a liner.

I read of a gunsmith that was given a modern rifle that had the same problem. He just epoxied a screw in the hole and lapped the bore in that area. It held. But I’d get an experts opinion first.
I would never trust this fix. Modern smokeless rifles can develop chamber pressures of around 60,000 psi, or more. In the 1980's I attended two years of gunsmithing school. One day a fellow student came out of the test fire room with a bolt action rifle whose rear sight had ricocheted around the room. The mounting screw holes had been drilled all the way through to the bore.

Blackpowder pressures are lower, but I personally would not trust a fix based on just threading a screw into the hole. Maybe if it were silver soldered in place?

As others have already stated - check with Mr. Hoyt.

Latest posts

Back