• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hog hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
@smoothshooter the laws really ain’t that bad. The hog hunting rules were put into effect because “hunting them” wasn’t working. I don’t really agree with it, but it’s a small thing to me. There are still areas where I can kill one during deer season if the opportunity arises and I choose to do it.

Tennessee has some of the strangest and most restrictive hunting and public land use laws I have ever seen. Several years ago I asked the owner of a company I worked for at the time what the Hell happened-did a bunch of Yankees come down from NY and Mass. and rewrite their game and public land use laws?
He shook his head and said he didn’t know; he had lived there all his life (60+ years outside of Jackson, TN) and it seemed like it had always been that way. He also had a farm with several hundred acres where he did all his hunting and told me be did whatever be wanted to when he wanted to and had long ago quit paying attention to any of the state alphabet agencies‘ decrees.
Example?

It has been about 20 years since I lived there, and was only there for 2, so don’t remember a lot of particulars. One was that it was illegal to camp overnight in a State Forest Area all or most of the year, or at least in some of them.
Another one has to do with caliber restrictions when hunting with muzzleloading rifles. Seems like .36 caliber was prohibited for deer because it was too small ( which is probably true in the hands of most shooters ), and not allowed for small game because it was too big.
There were other curiosities that I thought were strangely out of step with the regional culture.

Lyman Plains Rifle, .54 cal. Built from a kit in the 80's. I built a Lyman Plains Pistol to go with it as a companion piece. 54 also. I had a CVA Big Bore Mountain Rifle (58) I built from a kit prior to that. Gave it to my brother in law. Typical load is 90/100 grains 3F with a .530 RB that I cast. Pillow ticking patch .017/.018 lubed with my mix of beeswax, marvel mystery oil and a bit of olive oil heated and mixed together, poured into a shallow container and allowed to set. At the range I rub the strip of patch material in the mix then start the ball and cut at the muzzle. Hunting I carry speed loaders with the lubed patched ball, uncap, pour the powder in, use the starter to push the ball into the bore then ram it home cap and shoot. This rifle has accounted for an Axis spike, a Javelina and a couple of pigs. Never needed a 2nd shot except for the Axis spike. Nicked him on the withers trying to break his neck. Knocked him down and stunned him. Finished him off with a 44 Remington 1858.
Sounds like you've got it down pat, was your Lyman GPR the first kit you ever tackled? I've found that Lyman/Investarms barrels need up to 100 shots put through them before really good accuracy is achieved. Was your GPR similar?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back