• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hog hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Anyone have private land that needs the hog population thinned a bit? I understand they are quite a problem down south. I’m looking for a place to do a flintlock hog hunt, preferably on a large piece of land. I am in Illinois but would be happy to travel to any of the southern states. Also willing to pay to hunt. I’m dying to get out on a hunting trip with my new .45 kibler SMR!

My son did some hog hunting in both Texas and Tennesee about 10 years ago. My only comment here would be "A .45 BP rifle for southern hogs?" He took one down with a 30-06 where the first shot was on target, but the hog turned and was charging him when he put the second one into it at very close range. They were both BIG hogs. And they sure tasted good. :) I'd solicit a lot of advice and accurate stories from BP hog hunters before undertaking that adventure. Maybe think of using a double rifle? 🤷‍♂️

My son did some hog hunting in both Texas and Tennesee about 10 years ago. My only comment here would be "A .45 BP rifle for southern hogs?" He took one down with a 30-06 where the first shot was on target, but the hog turned and was charging him when he put the second one into it at very close range. They were both BIG hogs. And they sure tasted good. :) I'd solicit a lot of advice and accurate stories from BP hog hunters before undertaking that adventure. Maybe think of using a double rifle? 🤷‍♂️
Well actually what we refer to as a southern mountain rifle was commonly referred to as a hog rifle by the people who owned and used them back in the day, as that was what most people used them for. Some might even argue that was its main purpose, but they would also take bear, deer, plenty of squirrels and other small game with their hog rifles as well. The vast majority of these rifles fired a .30-.50 caliber round ball with many of them on the smaller side! But just like any other big game hunting, safety must be taken into consideration and I plan to have a large caliber back up pistol in case the need for it should arise! It’s been a while now since I’ve had feral hog bacon fresh from the smokehouse and there’s nothing like it!

Last edited:
Anyone have private land that needs the hog population thinned a bit? I understand they are quite a problem down south. I’m looking for a place to do a flintlock hog hunt, preferably on a large piece of land. I am in Illinois but would be happy to travel to any of the southern states. Also willing to pay to hunt. I’m dying to get out on a hunting trip with my new .45 kibler SMR!
Pm sent

@Rangefogger, if you ever find yourself in north Texas, then you can try on my ranch; I have 165 acres and plenty of destructive feral hogs rooting up my fields. All I ask is you teach me to fire your flintlock once...
Half of the fun of gun ownership is showing off your guns right? I’d be happy to let you try out the flintlock, and take care of those pesky hogs for you!

Well actually what we refer to as a southern mountain rifle was commonly referred to as a hog rifle by the people who owned and used them back in the day, as that was what most people used them for. Some might even argue that was its main purpose, but they would also take bear, deer, plenty of squirrels and other small game with their hog rifles as well. The vast majority of these rifles fired a .30-.50 caliber round ball with many of them on the smaller side! But just like any other big game hunting, safety must be taken into consideration and I plan to have a large caliber back up pistol in case the need for it should arise! It’s been a while now since I’ve had feral hog bacon fresh from the smokehouse and there’s nothing like it!

The smaller calibers might be okay for hogs if you only shot the small to medium sized ones.

Reactions: GBG
My son just started a new job in Temple, Texas. My wife and I will be driving down, through Oklahoma to Temple to visit…4 to 5 day trip, drive down and back. I’ve never been been through this area before…

5440DA79-520F-44A7-BAFC-C9DE67C00D59.jpeg

What is your opinion on using a .54 calibre for hunting a hog?

Last edited:
Well actually what we refer to as a southern mountain rifle was commonly referred to as a hog rifle by the people who owned and used them back in the day, as that was what most people used them for. ... I plan to have a large caliber back up pistol in case the need for it should arise!
Well, I think that size (of the hog) may matter. And the backup pistol is wise. On those hog hunts my son was careful to be wearing his .44 magnum single action Ruger, and there was a second hunter in the group as well. You can also hedge your risk by shooting from some distance, but I'm not sure how feasible that is with a BP rifle, and particularly with round ball.

Reactions: GBG
The 560 pound boar I shot took two well placed shots from a 7mm mag. I almost felt under gunned.
Yeah, after that one incident with the first hog, my son switched to a .300 Win. mag. I fired that gun from a bench once. I mean once. It was not something I was anxious to repeat. BP would be much more interesting and pleasant, no matter what the load, I think. <= Obligatory BP content :)

They are a probelm but most land owners down here have figured out that people will pay to hunt them, so the urban legend that they need help thinning them out is no longer .

My son just started a new job in Temple, Texas. My wife and I will be driving down, through Oklahoma to Temple to visit…4 to 5 day trip, drive down and back. I’ve never been been through this area before…

View attachment 134130
What is your opinion on using a .54 calibre for hunting a hog?

I believe that would be a very good choice for Hogs. I have seen and know of Hogs being taken with .36 - .62. Of course shot placement is paramount. Personally if it were me, for large hogs I would stay with .50 or larger. Piglets or grilling pigs say less than a 150 lbs .36-.45 will work jus fine.

JMHO

RM

Yeah, after that one incident with the first hog, my son switched to a .300 Win. mag. I fired that gun from a bench once. I mean once. It was not something I was anxious to repeat. BP would be much more interesting and pleasant, no matter what the load, I think. <= Obligatory BP content :)
Used to own one that was a pleasure to shoot - course it had a heavy barrel, which helped with recoil. Shot a 120 lb hog at around 100 yards with it once, found out it was a perfect heart shot and it still ran 150 yards. Point being, a 45 will kill a hog but I'd want to use hard cast round balls and load it with a heavy charge of powder. My experience with hogs is they are harder to kill than deer, and deer almost never charge you when they are shot.

I’ve shot a number of hogs, some with a ML. If folks haven’t been around hogs they don’t always realize they can be almost “armor plated.” Here’s what I mean: hogs have a thick hide and very coarse hair. When it’s hot they love to wallow in the mud near water and then rub on trees. This will leave dirt/mud in their hair. So any bullet PRB or modern, must have enough energy and integrity to penetrate this barrier before moving on into vital areas.
The size of Texas and the broad range over which hogs can be found also means that their behavior and even size varies with location.
In my area hogs seldom exceed 500 pounds. Only once have I ever experienced aggressive behavior. That was many years ago. My dog had a hog cornered. I threw a stick (at the dog) and hit the hog - the hog resented that act and turned toward me. I can’t say I blame the hog. Since I’m typing this you may infer that I was the victor in that confrontation.
My $0.02 worth is if you intend to hunt with a 45 just be careful with shot placement.
This is based solely on my experience. Your mileage may vary.

I’m dying to get out on a hunting trip with my new .45 kibler SMR!
My hunting partner and I have been pursuing hogs almost exclusively for over a decade on three WMA's and a national forest in AL. I call them "hillbilly hogs" because they spend their entire lives running up and down steep terrain in the thickest brush. When butchered they have almost zero body fat - pure lean pork.

I've seen a grown hog hit at 30 yards with an unmentionable smoothbore handload, launching three heat treated .600 RBs (915 grains) at 1200 fps. Two passed thru the lungs and one thru the liver. My eagle-eyed partner blood trailed him for an hour until dusk. Although bleeding out both sides of the boiler room, when we jumped him in a blackberry and pine sapling thicket, he exploded out the brush and disappeared into the night. Circling vultures confirmed a kill three days later.

I've also watched my partner poleaxe two hogs in the 100+ pound size (and one BIG boar, weight unknown) with a 20 grain 17 caliber unmentionable. All three were at 30 yards or less and the tiny bullets perfectly centered the brain between the eye and ear. The hollow points were traveling at the maximum MV a long barreled BP gun can reach.

During small game season and on all WMA hunts, we're restricted to MLs of 40 caliber or less (plus no modern or multi-shot BP handguns allowed for backup).

IMHO if you want to be certain of recovering the hog with one shot; a 40 - 45 caliber PRB driven at max accurate MV is good for brain shots out to 30 yards (with my eyes). Sorry for a long post - trying to condense 10+ years into a few paragraphs.

Other hunters in different conditions may have totally different experiences, so YMMV and good luck on your hunt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back