• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Historicly correct

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't let the haters get you down! Just ignore there comments and move on. I don't know a single person on this forum, but I love the help/advice I get when I ask a question. This forum has helped me tremendously! If someone suggests that what I'm doing/asking isn't HC, I will just ignore them. I hope you don't leave!

Again who is hating? It's a perception... Don't come to a "traditional" forum and get up in arms when HC comes up... There is a major difference between a logical conversation/ disagreement and downright hating. Many people today can't nor won't accept any advice or beliefs that are not their own without throwing the hater card or here come the thread counters! Ridiculous... I'll shoot it straight, I call it how it is. You have a problem with someone, send them a message or email for the so called hating. I've done it a few times! I'll have a substantial amount of respect for an individual who can confront me and work through so said problem like a grown adult should. Many today just can't seem to find their backbone.

Last edited:
Again who is hating? It's a perception... Don't come to a "traditional" forum and get up in arms when HC comes up... There is a major difference between a logical conversation/ disagreement and downright hating. Many people today can't nor won't accept any advice or beliefs that are not their own without throwing the hater card or here come the thread counters! Ridiculous... I'll shoot it straight, I call it how it is. You have a problem with someone, send them a message or email for the so called hating. I've done it a few times! I'll have a substantial amount of respect for an individual who can confront me and work through so said problem like a grown adult should. Many today just can't seem to find their backbone.
I don't know who is hating? The OP is having an issue with someone, that's who the hater is. I can call it hating, you call it a disagreement. I don't know the extent to which the hater has bothered the OP, but it's enough that he is leaving the forum. To me that seems like more than a logical conversation/disagreement.

Don't let the haters get you down!

Your words, just saying.

When it comes to factual information relating to HC and someone chimes in, that indeed is not hating.

Last edited:
There is a wide divergence of opinions here. Some very serious historically pc guys are unreasonable, in my opinion. But, to just read their points of view can be educational whether you agree or not. There have been times my shorts get in a bunch when some of the super-pc types disagree with me. But I shake it off and move on. Suck it up and enjoy the visit or join a snowflake forum.

OLD WYATT please stay, I am Shure the PC people have skeletons in there closet that will come out sooner or later. jmho. lets all get along.

SPEAKING OF HISTORICLLY CORRECTNESS, WE SHOULD NOT PICK AND CHOSE WHICH ITEMS OR PRACTICES OF THE PAST WE SHOULD FASTEN ON TO. IT'S ALL OR NONE.
MY GRANDFATHER TOMAS SCULCEWSKI WAS BORN IN 1830 IN POSEN, POLAND, MY FATHER RAN A BARBER SHOP IN BOEMAN, MONTANA AROUND 1910. A PHOTO SINCE LOST IN A HAPPY DIVORCE SHOWED BATHS 10 CENTS.
A SMALL BOOK ON PERSONAL HYGENE BELONGING TO MY GRANDFATHER SUGGESTED THEAT SMELLING OF SWEAT WAS NO LONGER CONSIDERED TO BE "ANLY".
SO IF YOU TRULY ARE HC THERE ARE TO BE NO MORE BATHS OR DEODERANT, ALL CLOTHING AND FOOTWEAR MUST BE HAND SEWN, TOILET PAPER IS A NO NO, CORN SHUCKS IF YOU'RE LUCKY, POISON IVY IF TRULY UNFORTUNATE. NO BEER OUT OF BOTTLES OR CANS, JUST OUT OF THE BARREL IT WAS BREWED IN. THE LIST GOES ON.
THIS KNOWLEGE HAD AN EFFECT ON MY WATCHING GUN SMOKE FOR 18 OR SO YEARS. A SISSY FROM THE 20TH CENTURY PUSSHING HIS WAY INTO THE LONGBRANCH SALOON WOULD BE KNOCKED FLAT BY THE OVERWHELMING SMELL OF THE GREAT UNWASHED POPULATON.
THE FRENCH TRIED TO COVER THIS UP WITH PERFUMES WHICH PROBABLY MADE IT WORSE.
BATHING WAS WIDELY BELIVED TO BE VERY UNHEALTHY.
THERE MAY HAVE BEEN SOME TRUTH IN THAT AS A FEW UBWASHED MONTHS MIGHT MAKE ONE SO FOUL THAT EVEN GERMS AND VIRUSES WOULD WANT TO STAY THE HELL AWAY.
WHEN YOU SMELL SO BAD YOU MAKE PAINT PEEL, THEN AND ONLY THEN CAN YOU CLAIM THE IDEAL OF HISTORICAL CORRECTNESS.

DUTCH SCHOULTZ

Old Wyatt, please don’t leave my friend. We need your knowledge and experience here.

Yes, there are a few who can make our forum an unpleasant experience. I too was in your shoes a while back. Like you, I too believe in building up and not tearing down! Like you, I have a big heart for the newer members.

Some are a lot further down the road in their journey than others. Some seem to forget from where they started from?

Being HC or PC correct in all you do is a personal choice. I say good for them. They made their choice.

Others have different goals and expectations? It’s their choice. Their journey to travel as they see fit. It’s not my place to tell someone how to act,dress, or what products to use? That’s unless they invite your advice?

We are here to build up and encourage!!

As long as all the rules are followed on this forum, no one should talk down to others. That’s just plain rude! Coming here should be a pleasant experience for all no matter where they are on their own personal journey.

With that being said, I’d like to ask you to stay and continue to post my friend.

Respectfully, Cowboy

Typical total misunderstanding of what the hobby we call 're-enacting is all about, and a prime reason we have these persistent squabbles. Don't forget about the toilet paper, if you don't wipe your arse with prickly pear cactus you aren't really a re-enactor.

I read all the posts to or from Old Wyatt that I could find, and saw nothing with the slightest reason for his outburst. If someone knows what triggered it, post it.

I, for one, won't miss him.

Spence

This thread typifies what I love about this Forum. It's never dry or dull, but peopled by those who range from enthusiastic to passionate, from those who just want to have some fun and maybe play old gunfighter or Dan'l Boone for an hour, to those who seek to recreate a moment in History, down to as minute detail as is possible including the way their clothing is sewn.

I have been moved to emotion reading these posts. Most of you I agree with - Cowboy, you are the Light of Love. Those with whom I disagree, I still feel your passion and understand from where you are coming.

I recall several years ago, a young man (twenties?) had been posting with some frequency. He lived with his parents on a farm (if I remember right) and was into flintlock rifle. I came on a new thread he had started, with great pride, pictures of himself in a complete buckskin outfit that his Mother had sewn for him. He was out in the snow, rifle in hand, full of joy.

Even I could see ( from what I had learned here) that the leather was all wrong, bright yellow, modern chrome tanned(?), incorrect fringing, and the pattern of a more current era. Already, the hoots and hollers had begun. He was being called everything from a "Clown" to "Buffalo Bob"! it was cruel. I immediately began a PM to Claude (then owner of the Forum) to stop the abuse, but when I went back to the original thread to get information, I found that the entire thread had been removed. I then tried to PM the young man, but he had already been removed from the Forum.

How much hurt was given to this young man (and his Mother)? There is a time and place for Period Correct and Historically Correct, and yes, it is appropriate to this Forum, but not everywhere on the Forum. If the poster is just sharing his enthusiasm for a piece of equipment, is it really necessary to chime in that his equipment is not PC? Given time, he may discover that himself. For now, he's just having fun. Why ruin it? If he posted in an historically accurate section of the Forum, get the thread moved to the general section. He'll get the message. And, maybe, he'll come to appreciate the more authentic approach, and start down the path.

Old Wyatt - if you are still here, please stay, and continue to share with all of us. We are all diminished by your loss.

My love to all,
Richard/Grumpa

This is a forum, not a living history club. Different clubs/groups have different authenticity standards by which the members are expected to follow. On a forum this does NOT apply, & if anyone were to start getting personal on this forum in regards to what they consider right or wrong in regards to authenticity, then & would expect a moderator to step in & do something about that.

Well my friend, we're not speaking of folks who jump in unasked, telling somebody, "that ain't right". At least not in this forum. Sure folks may be given a friendly warning akin to "I have one of those and sometimes I get grief over using it".

No, most often such hurt feeling depend more, ...on the way the question was asked.

What I mean is that when a person asks, "Is this [item] historically correct?" They are asking a valid question, and usually will get valid answers, and they asked, ..., so yes it is alright to give them a response.

The problem is, often the person asking the question didn't understand what they truly asked. We make fun of folks visiting a historic site that ask, "is that gun real", when they really want to know if that gun is a plastic mock up or an actually working piece. Another is "Is that fire real?" when what they should say "Is that fire just a showpiece or are you going to use it to cook and maybe do something else like make musket balls?"

So even among us, folks ask "Is this authentic" or "is this historically correct", which is a history question, but sometimes folks who do the asking fail to understand, it's not a permission request. YET..., when folks get a "no" about the authenticity of their item, they somehow think they have been told, "You can't use that". Then they get all butt-hurt about it, and resent in some cases the very valid response(s) that were posted. So my neck knife is likely NOT something a English colonist would've worn, the knife itself is not very right either, so all in all not HC, but I wear it and I do use it, a lot. Another case-in-point, a fellow on a Facebook Page on trekking asked if the Pedersoli Frontier flintlock rifle was historically correct, and to what time frame. I pointed out that right out of the box it was pretty much a 20th century, full stocked, flintlock rifle, but sometimes people modify them a little or a lot. I also pointed out that he wouldn't get turned away from an event for carrying a factory bought unchanged version.

So while we poo poo so called stitch-Nazi's, the fault may sometimes be found in the question asked, not in the response.

LD

I don't know who is hating? The OP is having an issue with someone, that's who the hater is. I can call it hating, you call it a disagreement. I don't know the extent to which the hater has bothered the OP, but it's enough that he is leaving the forum. To me that seems like more than a logical conversation/disagreement.
And so the OP is automatically in the right and has actually been abused by some anonymous 'hater'? Because he told you so? Show me. I challenge anyone and everyone to point us to this supposed abuse of Old Wyatt. That's only fair, how can we judge if we don't know what took place?

He has posted a grand total of 17 time since he joined in August. I've been able to find 11 of them, and in every one of those he was treated with complete respect and kindness, praised, and one member volunteered to post pictures for him because he didn't know how, and did so.

Haters? I don't think so !!!

Spence

A few years after creating this forum, I wrote this. There are things I would word different now, but you get the idea...

The subject of "Historical Accuracy" and it's place in Muzzleloading is often debated, so I thought I'd offer a few thoughts. I'm not defining anything for anyone, I'm just offering my point of view, which changes as I grow and learn.

What we call "Muzzleloading" means different things to different people, encompasses many different activities, and that can cause confusion and conflict.

Possible levels of involvement (there are others, but this will do to illustrate my point)

1. There's Muzzleloading; Owning and shooting a muzzleloader. Period.
You don't need any special clothes or gear to enjoy shooting or hunting with the weapon. There are no rules, other than those imposed by the government. It's just another way to enjoy the sport of shooting.

2. There's also the historical aspect of muzzleloading. Some people are interested in the time-period in which the weapons were developed and the people that used them, but they don't want to "reenact" the period. They read the history to have a better understanding, but they choose not to become involved in "acting it out".

3. Then, there's the Reenactors or Living Historians. They want to explore the historical aspects of a time-period by emulating, as much as possible, the equipment and practices of the people of that period. This is a choice on their part and they pursue it to whatever degree they are comfortable with. Some are more dedicated than others, but it's the individuals choice.

Some people participate in all three of the above mentioned "styles", and they appreciate the difference when doing so.

I'm starting to think that the term "PC Nazi" was coined by non-reenactors, expressing their misconception that they had to become a reenactor to be involved in Muzzleloading. This misconception is hard to debunk.

The Forum:
We have general weapon categories for those who wish to discuss the firearms themselves, without any reference to their Historical aspect, if they so wish.

We have "Reenacting" categories for those who are interested in reenacting, but these categories are not here to force people to become involved in Reenacting. Please feel free to avoid these categories if you have no interest.

The Reenacting Forums are not here to argue whether pursuing Historical Accuracy is valid or not. If you think it is, enjoy the dialog. If you disagree, this is not the place to condemn those that enjoy the pursuit.

The Forums are not here for someone to tell us, "I never want to be a reenactor. I don't care about being PC. Can't I just shoot my gun? You're all a bunch of Nazis!". With all due respect, if that's your attitude, the reenacting categories are not for you. They are for those that have chosen to participate and wish to share their experiences, not have their motives questioned.

With all respect, Spence, I think the original poster was referring to "newbies" being pounced on, and not himself (even though he used the first person in his examples). There seems to be a perception among some members that this Forum is only for the PC/HC, which is not the case. It is a broad tent, with very distinct historic parameters.

Richard/Grumpa

I think a large part of the issue is the consistent, unsolicited and relentless persistence by a few to beat the HC/PC issue to death when the OP or others on the post are not asking that question, or really even caring. If they must say there piece, say it but quit beating a horse.

Fleener

I think a large part of the issue is the consistent, unsolicited and relentless persistence by a few to beat the HC/PC issue to death when the OP or others on the post are not asking that question, or really even caring. If they must say there piece, say it but quit beating a horse.

Fleener
My experience is that someone mentions that something isn't PC or HC and the anti-HC/PC crowd are the ones that beat it to death. I've been on the receiving end of this outpouring of vitriol and it is very disappointing and sad. Take the Damascus patch knife thread - I mentioned it wasn't PC and asked for documentation that OP claimed the piece was based upon. After receiving 4-5 pages of verbal abuse from the anti-HC/PC crowd, I still hadn't gotten any documentation but had been insulted several times. Did I block or place any of the verbal abusers in the lead box? No. Why? because I am a big boy, am not afraid of disagreement and my feeling aren't hurt by someone disagreeing. I know some on this site have placed me in the "you hurt my feelers" box because they have contacted me and told me so. Doesn't bother me one bit - matter of fact, I find it extremely amusing that something I posted on an internet website has upset an adult so much that they need to block me so that what I post in the future doesn't injure their delicate feelings...

I share the information I have freely. If you don't like what I have to say, don't read my posts. If you do read, take the information for what it is worth and correct me if you think I am wrong with INFORMATION OF YOUR OWN. Don't post FEELINGS, post FACTS.

Last edited:
I did as Spence did and reviewed all (17) posts made by old Wyatt. I didn't see anything that would be considered inappropriate. He noted that in the past he was registered as "Broken Rod".

But, one never knows what goed on in the PM section. I can personally attest to that.:confused:

I did as Spence did and reviewed all (17) posts made by old Wyatt. I didn't see anything that would be considered inappropriate. He noted that in the past he was registered as "Broken Rod".

But, one never knows what goed on in the PM section. I can personally attest to that.:confused:
He seemed upset for others who perhaps weren't upset themselves. In other words, he didn't like what someone posted as a response to someone else and decided this personally upset him enough that he should make a grand exit (and garner sympathy?). If you don't like it - leave. You don't need to make a dramatic exit...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back