• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Historicly correct

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Wyatt

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Due to the HC correct police (one in particular) on this forum I will no longer post or read these. I quit this forum years back because of the same comments this is my 50th year shooting building and hunting with blk pwder firearms. I love helping new shooters get started. So what if there rifle is an Investarms,TC or Traditions it is a start maybe down the road they will be more "HC". I wear Pc correct clothing even tho I have Hanes under my skins bad me 2 of my rifles have vent liners beat me with a wet wipin stick to the rest of you Grenadier Zonie Stumpkiller and the rest may the Gods watch over you
Broken rod

One main member out of over 31,000 makes you leave? Wow, I am not a member here to argue about what is pc but to learn how to, fix things and best practices. That I hope is what the other over 31k members want.

Aren't we here to discuss historical practices? After all, it is a traditional muzzleloading forum...

I am new here, so I hope no one minds me saying my piece. This is a forum, not a living history club. Different clubs/groups have different authenticity standards by which the members are expected to follow. On a forum this does NOT apply, & if anyone were to start getting personal on this forum in regards to what they consider right or wrong in regards to authenticity, then & would expect a moderator to step in & do something about that.
I don't know Old Wyatt from a bar of soap, but it seems a great pitty to lose anyone from a forum over a matter of historical authenticity. The main priority in this pass time/hobby/lifestyle of muzzleloading is that we have fun, we enjoy participating. We find our nitch in this fraternity, a place that suits us best. Old Wyatt has found that place & I hope he remains on this forum so we can continue to enjoy his participation.
Keith.

Forum rule 1: The focus of this site is "Traditional Muzzleloading"; The history of muzzleloading weapons and battles, up to and including the American Civil War. (From the inception of firearms through 1865)

Standards of historical authenticity are applicable in this forum. As we have records of persons, places, dates and material culture, objectively speaking, there are correct and incorrect approaches. However, interpretations may vary (as they should)...

Adults can and do disagree - but you should have facts to back up your position.

Last edited by a moderator:
I THINK INSISTANCE ON SOMEONE BEING HISTORICALLY CORRECT SHOULD BE INFLICTED INLY ON THOSE WHO STATE THAT THEY HISTORICALLY CORRECT.
MY FIRST EXPERIENCE WITH THIS SORT OF NIT PICKING WAS WHEN I HEARD "DENIM" WAS NOT ALLOWED.
DENIM IS ONE OF THE VEY OLDEST FABRICS ORIGINATING IN NIMES, FRANCE. ITS USE BECAME SO WIDESPREAD OVER THE YEARS THE FABRIQUE DE NIMES HAD ITS APPELLATION REDUCED TO "DENIM" AND I BET THERE MIGHT HAVE BEEN SOME AT VALLEY FORGE THOIGH IT MIGHT HAVE BEEN A BIT PRICEY BACK THEN.. PEE[ SIGHT WERE OFTEN OUTLAWED THOUGH THEY WERE FREQUENTLY FOUND ON CROSSBOWS.

I ENJOY THE FORUM BECAUSE IT HAS A LOT TO DO WITH MUZZLELOADING RIFLES AND THE USE THEREOVE.

I DRESS LIKE A FAILED IOWA FARMER AND HAVE LONG REGARDED NIT PICKING ABOUT DRESS AS BEING RATHER FEMININE BY MY STANDARDS BUT INTERESTING TO SEE.

I TRUST THE HISTORICAL PURIST AVOIDS THE USE OF TOILET PAPER AND IS CAREFULL RIDING HIS HORSE WHEN ON A HUNT,

DR5X
I am new here, so I hope no one minds me saying my piece. This is a forum, not a living history club. Different clubs/groups have different authenticity standards by which the members are expected to follow. On a forum this does NOT apply, & if anyone were to start getting personal on this forum in regards to what they consider right or wrong in regards to authenticity, then & would expect a moderator to step in & do something about that.
I don't know Old Wyatt from a bar of soap, but it seems a great pitty to lose anyone from a forum over a matter of historical authenticity. The main priority in this pass time/hobby/lifestyle of muzzleloading is that we have fun, we enjoy participating. We find our nitch in this fraternity, a place that suits us best. Old Wyatt has found that place & I hope he remains on this forum so we can continue to enjoy his participation.
Keith.

While a thick skin helps, remaining on this forum is not an ordeal. Some consider PC to mean exact copies of one of the few old guns known to still exist. I consider PC to mean sidelock flinters during the flint era and flint and sidelock percussion during THAT era. Factory guns fit this definition and I own one. Plus, I even hunt wearing camo. If the technology is correct, the gun is correct.

While a thick skin helps, remaining on this forum is not an ordeal. Some consider PC to mean exact copies of one of the few old guns known to still exist. I consider PC to mean sidelock flinters during the flint era and flint and sidelock percussion during THAT era. Factory guns fit this definition and I own one. Plus, I even hunt wearing camo. If the technology is correct, the gun is correct.

Very well said

I stand with Black Hand, this is a "traditional" site. For what it's worth there has been far more untraditional nonsense progressing over the years and very few historical accuracy discussions. Anytime HC is thrown in people get up in arms and offended more and more... What happened to being able to disagree with someone and still be upon friendly terms? When terminology like HC police, thread nazi and the like are thrown around it's utter nonsense. We all are adults and I would hope backbones can be maintained and the traditions carried on.

I found this forum on June 24 2006 and been here every since. Same old arguments just different avatar's. But with all that, I really enjoy it and have learn a few things along the way. Men like Crewdawg445 and Black Hand I have deep respect for their doing things as traditional as can be done now. And I have learn from them. But for most of us we enjoy the sport just as much as they do, we just take more short cuts. Believe me there is room for all of us. Nuff said

Old Wyatt, please don’t leave my friend. We need your knowledge and experience here.

Yes, there are a few who can make our forum an unpleasant experience. I too was in your shoes a while back. Like you, I too believe in building up and not tearing down! Like you, I have a big heart for the newer members.

Some are a lot further down the road in their journey than others. Some seem to forget from where they started from?

Being HC or PC correct in all you do is a personal choice. I say good for them. They made their choice.

Others have different goals and expectations? It’s their choice. Their journey to travel as they see fit. It’s not my place to tell someone how to act,dress, or what products to use? That’s unless they invite your advice?

We are here to build up and encourage!!

As long as all the rules are followed on this forum, no one should talk down to others. That’s just plain rude! Coming here should be a pleasant experience for all no matter where they are on their own personal journey.

With that being said, I’d like to ask you to stay and continue to post my friend.

Respectfully, Cowboy

Old Wyatt, please don’t leave my friend. We need your knowledge and experience here.

Yes, there are a few who can make our forum an unpleasant experience. I too was in your shoes a while back. Like you, I too believe in building up and not tearing down! Like you, I have a big heart for the newer members.

Some are a lot further down the road in their journey than others. Some seem to forget from where they started from?

Being HC or PC correct in all you do is a personal choice. I say good for them. They made their choice.

Others have different goals and expectations? It’s their choice. Their journey to travel as they see fit. It’s not my place to tell someone how to act,dress, or what products to use? That’s unless they invite your advice?

We are here to build up and encourage!!

As long as all the rules are followed on this forum, no one should talk down to others. That’s just plain rude! Coming here should be a pleasant experience for all no matter where they are on their own personal journey.

With that being said, I’d like to ask you to stay and continue to post my friend.

Respectfully, Cowboy
Your a good man Cowboy!

I hope he doesn’t leave, but it is a traditional forum. Our personal standards are varied. A person shooting a TC Hawken with painters pants and a calico shirt is as welcome to give advice and kick around ideas as the ‘stitch counter’. None of us can be 100 %, it’s just a goal we like to work toward... or not. You can have as much fun dancing with historic accuracy as you can going whole hog. And we are just playing cowboy and Indian, old gray hair having fun.

Due to the HC correct police (one in particular) on this forum I will no longer post or read these. I quit this forum years back because of the same comments this is my 50th year shooting building and hunting with blk pwder firearms. I love helping new shooters get started. So what if there rifle is an Investarms,TC or Traditions it is a start maybe down the road they will be more "HC". I wear Pc correct clothing even tho I have Hanes under my skins bad me 2 of my rifles have vent liners beat me with a wet wipin stick to the rest of you Grenadier Zonie Stumpkiller and the rest may the Gods watch over you
Broken rod
If you are truly interested in helping new shooters, you will ignore the few people who are causing your distress and stay here on the forum.

The forum has features that will allow you to totally block off the posts of whoever you choose so it is easy to ignore them.
Poke the little image of a man in the upper right area of the screen and choose "People You Ignore". Fill in the name of the person you want to ignore.
Poke SAVE CHANGES.
If there are more you wish to add, get their name and fill it into the box and again, poke Save changes.
You can ignore as many as you wish. You can also remove the "Ignore" by finding their name and poking the Stop Ignoring button.

As for the purpose of the forum, yes, it is a traditional muzzleloading forum as it says in the forum rules but that rule was written to explain the cut off date for acceptable guns/gear. It was not written to say that only posts about historically correct or period correct things can be discussed here.

Don't let the haters get you down! Just ignore there comments and move on. I don't know a single person on this forum, but I love the help/advice I get when I ask a question. This forum has helped me tremendously! If someone suggests that what I'm doing/asking isn't HC, I will just ignore them. I hope you don't leave!

The Forum is full of wonderful information and advice. Every member is free to choose that which applies to them and to ignore the rest. It is obvious that a few members have no interest in historical accuracy which is fine, except when they attempt to shout down those that post re historical accuracy which is of interest to others. Making a factually accurate observation on a piece of gear is not a personal attack. Whether it is how to achieve a certain finish, how to tighten a group or to become more aware of what is historically accurate, we are all diminished when someone attempts to impose censorship of information that they claim to be of no interest. I can decide for myself what is of interest to me. I doubt that I will ever go elk hunting, but the information re guns and loads for elk does apply to some, and even tho I have no expectations of ever using the info, I can still learn something by reading those posts and I can cheerfully ignore that information when it comes to selecting guns and loads for me and my intended use. The only time that information should be challenged (politely) is when it is believed to be inaccurate. All Forum members should welcome all of the great information presented here and be grateful for the members that choose to freely share their knowledge.

I’ve head others left over too much arguing. The fact is our experiences our reading our activities allgive us a strong personal experience. When we express our findings in a few words it’s easy to sound mean or even ugly. I doubt very much if we were around a campfire we would come off so.
What we argue about are mostly the friges ( no pun intended). Oft times we all most agree. I learn something new most every time I get on. Some of that I even remember the next day.

I hope Old Wyatt doesn't leave the forum. I don't know him, but I already like him because of his first name! :)
I have already learned a lot about how to deal with others on any forum from Cowboy. He is a friend to all, and a tormentor of none.
If someone gets my goat, I'm already trying to remember to ask, how would Cowboy respond before I post a reply? Also, I have already deleted a post without posting it. And I have edited posts after reading them and feeling I was too overbearing.
I'm learning a lot on this forum. If all else fails, I will offer an apology if I feel I've ticked someone off with my blathering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back