• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA Hawken Rebuild/Refinish?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rooster34

32 Cal
Reaction score
Good morning ladies and gentlemen,
Quick story, i inherited a couple of MLs from my grandfather that were unfortunately trapped in a case un his basement that got flooded this year. Any way they came into the shop pretty rusty, one is a cva hawken in perc cap and the other is a traditions hawken woodsman in flintlock. The Perc wasnt in too bad of shape but the brass was pretty tarnished and the lock plate is broken. The flintlock is another story and will post in the correct forum. I have the CVA Hawken all stripped down, the lock is completely disassembled along with the stock and barrel. My plan is to refinish the stock because i think the finish and color is terrible. To start this refinish project i need to find some parts or possibly re-work some things, first part would be a lock plate, i believe this hawken was built is 1993 according to the barrel stamp and im having trouble fining just the plate, i have mulled over the idea of hand making one out of 1/8 thick brass flat stock. Also i beed a button style breech plug and powder tumbler unless i can go with something different that would work with the tang

1701098373947.png

So there is no possible way even with machines and such? I cant imagine that just because a breech plug got messed up CVA would say to replace the whole barrel. I wanted to try my hand at hand building a lock from scratch. I know it seems a bit ambitious but it is something that i would like to do
With proper machinery, the job can be done. Without knowing the state of your breech, it will be difficult to describe a procedure to replace a breech as shown in @Frontier's post. The old breech would have to be cut off. A new breech plug threaded into the barrel. All the underlugs will need to be moved to match the previous wedges or new pins to hold the barrel in place drilled.

Have you tried Deer Creek for CVA or Traditions parts? May have to call.

So there is no possible way even with machines and such? I cant imagine that just because a breech plug got messed up CVA would say to replace the whole barrel. I wanted to try my hand at hand building a lock from scratch. I know it seems a bit ambitious but it is something that i would like to do
Rooster, every master lock smith had to start with the first one. If you have the tools, go for it. Got nothing to lose but some time and some metal.

I have removed and reinstalled the breech plug on several CVA's. You need a good sturdy bench vise with padded jaws, remove the nipple and put in a bolt to use a snug fitting wrench to fit over the bolster and use the bolt as a stop. Unscrew the bolster, then with a snug well fitting wrench unscrew the breech plug. This after soaking the breech in Kroil or a 50/50 mix of DexaronII Atf & acetone to penetrate the threads of any rust or crud. To reinstall you have to index the breech plug to allow the bolster to screw into it.

I've also bought barrels from Deer Creek when the barrel was a lost cause.

OP, post a picture of your lock plate with tumbler and bridle if it has a bridle.
i have a drawer of old cva lock parts.
last mountain rifle i rebuilt my nephew attempted to remove the breach. mangled mess. chopped off the breach end, threaded for button plug . installed a drum and bobs your uncle. had to move the under lugs and its 2 3/4 inches shorter but shoots nice.

I wanted to try my hand at hand building a lock from scratch. I know it seems a bit ambitious but it is something that i would like to do
Go for it. It will be interesting to watch as you step through the lock building process. Please post plenty of photographs to go along with your written description as you progress.

Good morning ladies and gentlemen,
Quick story, i inherited a couple of MLs from my grandfather that were unfortunately trapped in a case un his basement that got flooded this year. Any way they came into the shop pretty rusty, one is a cva hawken in perc cap and the other is a traditions hawken woodsman in flintlock. The Perc wasnt in too bad of shape but the brass was pretty tarnished and the lock plate is broken. The flintlock is another story and will post in the correct forum. I have the CVA Hawken all stripped down, the lock is completely disassembled along with the stock and barrel. My plan is to refinish the stock because i think the finish and color is terrible. To start this refinish project i need to find some parts or possibly re-work some things, first part would be a lock plate, i believe this hawken was built is 1993 according to the barrel stamp and im having trouble fining just the plate, i have mulled over the idea of hand making one out of 1/8 thick brass flat stock. Also i beed a button style breech plug and powder tumbler unless i can go with something different that would work with the tang
i specialize in building new breech plugs for cva's and the proper bolster assembled the same as the factory i also may have the parts your looking for

With proper machinery, the job can be done. Without knowing the state of your breech, it will be difficult to describe a procedure to replace a breech as shown in @Frontier's post. The old breech would have to be cut off. A new breech plug threaded into the barrel. All the underlugs will need to be moved to match the previous wedges or new pins to hold the barrel in place drilled.

Have you tried Deer Creek for CVA or Traditions parts? May have to call.
I would probably have to call them
Rooster, every master lock smith had to start with the first one. If you have the tools, go for it. Got nothing to lose but some time and some metal.

i got the breach out and the tumbler, they are both intact, i figure i can measure everything and make the parts in the lather. Looking at the tumbler i think i can rework/polish it a bit so the head looks as it should and then Re-blue it. I think the breech plug could be fairly easy to make.
OP, post a picture of your lock plate with tumbler and bridle if it has a bridle.
i have a drawer of old cva lock parts.
last mountain rifle i rebuilt my nephew attempted to remove the breach. mangled mess. chopped off the breach end, threaded for button plug . installed a drum and bobs your uncle. had to move the under lugs and its 2 3/4 inches shorter but shoots nice.

Attachments

• 20231127_130536.jpg
    20231127_130536.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231127_131255.jpg
    20231127_131255.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231122_132800.jpg
    20231122_132800.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231119_165149.jpg
    20231119_165149.jpg