• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Historically Incorrect, or (A Story of Thread Counting and Delrin Rods)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's always been my personal feeling that it's the gun, the powder, and the projectiles that need to be historically accurate. In other words, no in-lines, no smokeless substitutes, and no sabots. But, that's just the way I feel about it. If someone else wants to be hysterically accurate about his clothes and the horse he rode in on, that's fine by me.

Last edited:
Ha, yeah gonna have to figure out something that is acceptable. I ain’t dipping snuff or I’ll be hurling all over the place...which I guess that’s “HC/PC” correct enough. Thing is for me, I know I know nothing on how all this reenactment stuff works but I do know, should I decide I want to pursue something like that then I would be all in. I would do the research and make the contacts, make sure my kit was squared away and then go play. If while playing and someone notices an error by all means square me away. However, an un solicited comment in an environment that has nothing to do with a particular event then it is unwarranted and I will respond accordingly. I would submit that common courtesy goes a long way. Thinking from what I’ve seen on this forum that rarely happens and if it does it’s usually a misunderstanding or a claim was made that’s not quite accurate and someone points out that deficiency. Does that have to happen? For some it does, when it happens to me ( which I am sure it will) OK, noted, thanks, moving on. No biggie. Where’s my beer? Jus saying.
Snuff was expensive so pretty much only the wealthy could afford it. If you planned on doing a certain period which would it be?

Ha, yeah gonna have to figure out something that is acceptable. I ain’t dipping snuff or I’ll be hurling all over the place...which I guess that’s “HC/PC” correct enough. Thing is for me, I know I know nothing on how all this reenactment stuff works but I do know, should I decide I want to pursue something like that then I would be all in. I would do the research and make the contacts, make sure my kit was squared away and then go play. If while playing and someone notices an error by all means square me away. However, an un solicited comment in an environment that has nothing to do with a particular event then it is unwarranted and I will respond accordingly. I would submit that common courtesy goes a long way. Thinking from what I’ve seen on this forum that rarely happens and if it does it’s usually a misunderstanding or a claim was made that’s not quite accurate and someone points out that deficiency. Does that have to happen? For some it does, when it happens to me ( which I am sure it will) OK, noted, thanks, moving on. No biggie. Where’s my beer? Jus saying.
To go to a juried event you have to pass a jury. So you will know in advance what you can and can’t have. If you go to a ‘voo it’s unlikely any one would say anything about your outfit or equipment unless it’s very out of it.
I had a man proudly shim me his gage amore, gift of love, a heart shaped bag to carry tobacco and a pipe.
His was braintanned, good looking bag. It had a hidden pocket he kept his lighter in and cigarettes in the bag. I doubt any one mentioned any thing to him at any time about cigarette at a pre 1840 event.
You will see out of place chairs and sometimes a sleeping bag pointing out under a blanket.
you will see ‘wrong’ cleaning equipment and maybe some stuff in plastic bottles. Come supper time you may get a whiff of charcoal lighter. No one cares.
If you ask there will be plenty of people to give advice. But no one is going to force it on you.

Snuff then was very dry, not the finely chopped chewing tobacco of today. A small pinch was inhaled in to the nostrils. They didn’t ‘dip’ then.
Nothing to sneeze at was a saying that you have to take such and such seriously and not dismiss it with a pinch and a sneeze

Snuff then was very dry, not the finely chopped chewing tobacco of today. A small pinch was inhaled in to the nostrils. They didn’t ‘dip’ then.
Nothing to sneeze at was a saying that you have to take such and such seriously and not dismiss it with a pinch and a sneeze
Ahh hell no. Yeah, I know what you’re talking about. Nope, will pass please.

Yep, I’m very interested in this stuff and like the Gentleman said, It’s not cheap and it takes a while. (Paraphrase). Figure here pretty soon, I’ll have more time. I do want to build an appropriate rifle as well. The TVM is a southern and I know it’s generic etc but I’ll enjoy shooting it and have something to model off of on what not to do and what’s OK. All this is gonna be fun just can’t get in a hurry. Hell, been trying to buy a Capote just because I want one for the last 6 months to no avail. All the other stuff I will try and make what I can and purchase the rest when it comes available. No hurries, no worries. 😎

Being as it seems to be so difficult to be perfectly pc/hc nowadays, I was thinking about how an 1805 mountain man would view our modern made smoke poles and clothing. I would venture to say that he would give his left nut for a good Pedersoli rifle or even a TC Hawkin and a gore tex suit of clothing if he new they were available. He wouldn't be pc/hc for his time but he'd be better armed and clothed. How's that for a train of thought?
But in 1805 he would have been looking for the best materials he could find and afford. That 1805 member of the Corp of Discovery sure would have liked good insulation at Fort Mandan perhaps more so than a Pedersoli rifle.

1780’s-1820’s I guess, this would be early years when people first started to head to Texas right? Filtering through Arkansas.
If you were a gentleman at the turn of the century you'd most likely be wearing Regency Era clothing. Shoes would probably be court (buckle) shoes or congress shoes, Jefferson booties (brogans) if you were a common worker. Boots would most likely still be Paul Revere boots though Hessian Boots were becoming quite popular, at least in England.
Bi-corns were very popular as were the new Regency Era top hat and the John Bull.
Note that even if you weren't a gentleman you would most likely try to look like one as much as your means would allow.

If you were a gentleman at the turn of the century you'd most likely be wearing Regency Era clothing. Shoes would probably be court (buckle) shoes or congress shoes, Jefferson booties (brogans) if you were a common worker. Boots would most likely still be Paul Revere boots though Hessian Boots were becoming quite popular, at least in England.
Bi-corns were very popular as were the new Regency Era top hat and the John Bull.
Note that even if you weren't a gentleman you would most likely try to look like one as much as your means would allow.
Thanks, bud this is exactly what I joined the forum for. Guidance. I don’t know what all those items are but now I know what to look for. I don’t mind doing the legwork, that’s actually the fun part, but figuring out where to start can be a bit pain. That’s where you fellas that “do” “Count the Stitches” come in. Thanks

RM

Thanks, bud this is exactly what I joined the forum for. Guidance. I don’t know what all those items are but now I know what to look for. I don’t mind doing the legwork, that’s actually the fun part, but figuring out where to start can be a bit pain. That’s where you fellas that “do” “Count the Stitches” come in. Thanks

RM
I was a semi stitch counter once many, many, many moons ago, what are called "campaigners" in the Civ War community. We were particularly stringent when we did living history at the National Monuments and parks. As I got older I relaxed quite a bit, comfort became more important than super authenticity. My motto became "if you can't see it who cares........" That's been further adapted to "if it's close, I don't care." If someone brings speckleware to an encampment I say nothing unless that person asks if it's appropriate. I have a modern pair of Nun Bush brogans, a thousand times more comfortable than period correct brogans and the only difference is the rubber sole on my Nun Bush shoes. I just modified an old pair of reproduction WWII German riding boots I've had for eons into a pair of Paul Revere boots. Are they entirely correct? No, of course not but they are passable to the untrained eye.
I have a cooler hidden under my non period cot which is in turn covered with a large blanket to hide the cot. If open fires are not allowed and there are no fire rings or small grills I use a Coleman stove to cook with and make coffee. Nowadays if I owned one I'd use a tin teepee and set up a basic camp just for show...........

I was a semi stitch counter once many, many, many moons ago, what are called "campaigners" in the Civ War community. We were particularly stringent when we did living history at the National Monuments and parks. As I got older I relaxed quite a bit, comfort became more important than super authenticity. My motto became "if you can't see it who cares........" That's been further adapted to "if it's close, I don't care." If someone brings speckleware to an encampment I say nothing unless that person asks if it's appropriate. I have a modern pair of Nun Bush brogans, a thousand times more comfortable than period correct brogans and the only difference is the rubber sole on my Nun Bush shoes. I just modified an old pair of reproduction WWII German riding boots I've had for eons into a pair of Paul Revere boots. Are they entirely correct? No, of course not but they are passable to the untrained eye.
I have a cooler hidden under my non period cot which is in turn covered with a large blanket to hide the cot. If open fires are not allowed and there are no fire rings or small grills I use a Coleman stove to cook with and make coffee. Nowadays if I owned one I'd use a tin teepee and set up a basic camp just for show...........
Understood. Enjoying yourself. I plan to as well. I told my wife, that I have a “warning” order and that we will be preparing shortly. I then let her read the text...”Cool” was her response....It’s on Boys! I got the green light!

RM
I know there are others out there where you can pick up much of what I listed through Townsends, not the cheapest but the clothing is made to fit you. If you know of someone who can sew, even using a (GASP!!) sewing machine you might be able to have your clothing items done cheaper. However I've found that cost of proper materials plus the time and frustration spent researching then sewing together the clothing will NOT save you any money.
The people at Townsends are great!! Email them or call them and they will help you out with whatever you need.

I know there are others out there where you can pick up much of what I listed through Townsends, not the cheapest but the clothing is made to fit you. If you know of someone who can sew, even using a (GASP!!) sewing machine you might be able to have your clothing items done cheaper. However I've found that cost of proper materials plus the time and frustration spent researching then sewing together the clothing will NOT save you any money.
The people at Townsends are great!! Email them or call them and they will help you out with whatever you need.
Please send link. I do have a sewing machine. Don’t know how to use it. I have stitched quivers together but not pretty but it usually holds together. Yeah, with the wife on board It’s all good!
Thanks again

Please send link. I do have a sewing machine. Don’t know how to use it. I have stitched quivers together but not pretty but it usually holds together. Yeah, with the wife on board It’s all good!
Thanks again
Here ya go. The good thing is you don't have to research what fabrics are correct, that's already done for you. Things like wool gabardine and duponi silk are not period correct unless you're doing 1880s onward. You can cheat somewhat and no one will know, rayon is indistinguishable from silk so rayons for linings or a wool/rayon blend is much cheaper than the proper wool weave, wool/silk blends and silk.

Townsends

Latest posts

Back