• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hello from South Australia.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottgze

32 Cal
Reaction score
As the title says, hi all from the worst place in the world to be a firearms enthusiast!
I'm on the brink of buying my first flintlock rifle, a Kentucky pattern that to my meager understanding seems to be a Southern mountains rifle, although I have found a couple of threads that refute that title.
Needless to say, I'm a bit confused as to what pattern/era of rifle it could be. I'm pretty confident of the basis being a Kentucky (or Pennsylvania, as it has also been called apparently).

I'm looking forward to learning more about both my rifle, and the general history behind it and the people and culture behind it.
Sadly, there is limited chances that I'm aware of in Australia for events like Rendezvous etc, and all of the local shooting clubs tend to mock those that shoot in period dress :/
Having said that, if anyone else from Australia sees this and has information or recommendations for re-enacting or Rendezvous events, I'm all ears.

I have shot flintlock previously, but to date only handguns. I'm aware of the loading procedure etc.

When I have the rifle in my possession, I'll post photos if anyone is interested.

Scott

Welcome from Maine. Ask about your rifle in the flintlock section now and share pictures there when you get it.
Nit Wit

Welcome from Maine. Ask about your rifle in the flintlock section now and share pictures there when you get it.
Nit Wit
G'day nit wit.
Is that why my post is now waiting on approval to be seen publicly?
Sorry to be a pest, this forum seems to operate a bit differently to what I'm used to.

Cheers mate,
Scott

As the title says, hi all from the worst place in the world to be a firearms enthusiast!
I'm on the brink of buying my first flintlock rifle, a Kentucky pattern that to my meager understanding seems to be a Southern mountains rifle, although I have found a couple of threads that refute that title.
Needless to say, I'm a bit confused as to what pattern/era of rifle it could be. I'm pretty confident of the basis being a Kentucky (or Pennsylvania, as it has also been called apparently).

I'm looking forward to learning more about both my rifle, and the general history behind it and the people and culture behind it.
Sadly, there is limited chances that I'm aware of in Australia for events like Rendezvous etc, and all of the local shooting clubs tend to mock those that shoot in period dress :/
Having said that, if anyone else from Australia sees this and has information or recommendations for re-enacting or Rendezvous events, I'm all ears.

I have shot flintlock previously, but to date only handguns. I'm aware of the loading procedure etc.

When I have the rifle in my possession, I'll post photos if anyone is interested.

Scott
Welcome from Sydney, PM me and I can get you on the Rondy list here in AU

Welcome from Packer country. I'm a noob myself, but as I understand the Kentucky and the Pennsylvania are basically the same rifle. The difference I've noted among new replicas and kits offered today is that it seems the main difference is the Pennsylvania has a set trigger. I don't know how authentic to history that is, though, or what other minor differences there might be. I'm building a Southern Mountain Rifle. Post some pics of your rifle when you get it.

I'm in Vic, been interest in getting into the historical rendezvous but similar to yourself never found anyone interested.

I'm going to Adelaide next week for work, not missing a chance to buy swiss powder. It's the only place we can readily get it here.

Latest posts

Back