• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Historically Incorrect, or (A Story of Thread Counting and Delrin Rods)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's something I often wondered.....how HC and/ or PC are left handed side locks? Are there many examples in firearms museums such as Cody? I am sure an early gun maker could produce a lefty at will, but how often was this done? Militia muskets obviously weren't produced in left handed, or were they? Did left handed infantry learn to shoot right handed? You know, the question sounds a bit silly in one way, but kind of gets to the core of how far HC can be taken.

The only left hand locks I’ve ever seen photos of was on doubles.
I can think of at least one painting that shows a left sided lock.
I don’t think any military cared if you were a lefty and taught you to do things ‘the right way’
Whole question sounds a bit sinister to me.

In the book "Colonial Frontier Guns" by T. M. Hamilton, he describes a number of French Fusils. On Page 60 and 61, he has pictures and the simple description of a found left handed gun from a grave site in Angola, Louisiana. According to the description, that gun was "the only left handed 18th Century gun to be recovered archaeologically". The book was originally published in 1980. I don't think any more left handed guns have been recovered.

So to answer @Bucky's question, the left handed gun was Historically Correct as at least one existed. The Period Correct side of the question is a bit more difficult. The left handed gun would have been very rare. Use in the period is not supported by the historical record. Period Correct in only the most minimal of applications therefore, not Period Correct.

The Pennsylvania Gazette
September 19, 1765
European and East India goods, for cash or short credit, to be sold on the lowest terms, by JOHN KAIGHN,....pewter spoons, felt and castor hats, bar lead, powder and shot, a neat left handed fowling piece, &c

The Pennsylvania Gazette
March 5, 1772
PHILIP WILSON, has removed his store to Water street, between Chestnut street and the Crooked Billet Alley, adjoining Mr. Thomas Pryor, where he has for sale, viz.....London snuff; wool and cotton cards; brass kettles; scythes; straw and hay knives; pipes, and 6 d. nails; and a very neat left handed fowling piece.

Spence

Early 19th century is far different than mid to late 18th century.
Part of the point to that side of the argument. And what we can tell from the few gun maker's records and letters we have, is that some embellishments really didn't cost anything extra. They were almost what might be considered marketing tool or a marketing gimmick. Making the gun nice was just part of what the makers did back then. Those rifles were produced differently in those shops than our current builders work now.

With respect, I think you may be generalizing a bit too much.

Prior to the AWI, civilian smoothbores were imported from England in a variety of grades from very plain to fairly fancy.

Also prior to the AWI on rifles, American Gunsmiths made very plain rifles that would be sold in trading posts and to farmers. However, they also made rifles with some to elaborate carving, engraving and some other things as "bespoke work" (custom made) for clients who had a deep enough purse.

People like Caspar Wistar was importing high quality rifles from Germany in the 1740s in Philadelphia, along with long barrels, locks and many other goods.

I think you are referring to the Post AWI period when there were far more gunsmiths than customers. So at that time, American Gunsmiths did include some carving and engraving "for free" on their lower grade rifles, but only because there was so much competition.

Gus

Gus you are correct about a too broad generalization, and blending of time periods. This what happens when an exhausted night shifter posts while still having only his 1st cup off coffee upon getting up from a post work nap. Lol.

I still think, given that there were often apprentices involved, if not a few workers with specific tasks, to free up the master builder/smith, that some at least minor embellishments would have been common. Maybe tang border carving and something simple behind the cheek piece, or something incised lines down the forstock, would have been more common than all this beautiful curly wood we see now?

Also, if we put carving and engraving aside, some "poorboy" or "barn gun" features don't make sense to me.
If I'm buying all the gun I can afford, and will be relying on it to feed and protect myself, I need that gun built to last. I'm certainly not going to risk splitting the stock by not having a butt plate. Even if it is used off a musket or broken fowling piece, "please Mr. Builder, put something there to protect my gun."

If I'm buying all the gun I can afford, and will be relying on it to feed and protect myself, I need that gun built to last.

I agree, family first, protection and feeding them also first.

I'm certainly not going to risk splitting the stock by not having a butt plate. Even if it is used off a musket or broken fowling piece, "please Mr. Builder, put something there to protect my gun."

That can happen easier than expected depending on how the grain runs in the stock.

Gus you are correct about a too broad generalization, and blending of time periods. This what happens when an exhausted night shifter posts while still having only his 1st cup off coffee upon getting up from a post work nap. Lol.

I still think, given that there were often apprentices involved, if not a few workers with specific tasks, to free up the master builder/smith, that some at least minor embellishments would have been common. Maybe tang border carving and something simple behind the cheek piece, or something incised lines down the forstock, would have been more common than all this beautiful curly wood we see now?

Also, if we put carving and engraving aside, some "poorboy" or "barn gun" features don't make sense to me.
If I'm buying all the gun I can afford, and will be relying on it to feed and protect myself, I need that gun built to last. I'm certainly not going to risk splitting the stock by not having a butt plate. Even if it is used off a musket or broken fowling piece, "please Mr. Builder, put something there to protect my gun."
I THINK such guns were made, but.... I think they are far more popular today then in the past.
that said the out lines of a barn gun is floating around in my ‘like to build’ list.

Latest posts

Back