• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hey!...It works patches!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We had our monthly shoot a few weeks ago and a few of the guys tried the powder and ball load on a 50yd gong they rang it several times, just have to be careful and not point the barrel down after loading.If you had to load quickly to keep your scalp, powder and ball would be the quickest.

colorado clyde said:
Unfortunately, the documentation I had for that was on my old computer and when it died, I lost all my files/sources.
Did you remove the hard drive and try to recover the information....When mine died I removed the hard drive and was able to recover all my old files.

Yes, they did remove the old hard drive, but it was toast and nothing was recoverable.

Gus

Hey Horner75, what did they do in the winter when the leaves were all gone from the trees? Maybe stole their women's petticoat material? ha ha :haha:

This is one of my points. Again, we are assuming that is what they did in an emergency. I'm assuming also that is what they could of did, but really how do we know? Someone's guess or speculation!

For those of you who think that I am saying that the old timers used leaves for patching. You might read my first statement. I am basically asking a question and telling you what I experience trying leaf patch with round ball shooting. No more!

Anything that helps create a seal and allows the ball to positively engage the rifling will probably work.....
I figure the old timers knew this....after all they invented this stuff not us....

horner75 said:
This is one of my points. Again, we are assuming that is what they did in an emergency. I'm assuming also that is what they could of did, but really how do we know? Someone's guess or speculation!

I understand. I found it interesting at this time of year, you all tried leaves and they worked. IOW, it is a type of experimental archeology.

Gus

I have experimented with alternative patching materials. Once when I was at a smoothbore shoot I realized that I didn't have any wadding for to shoot lead shot instead of roundball. I grabbed some "horseweed" that was growing next to me, wadded it up and used it to get off three shots. It was a good thing that was the end of that shoot. The inside of the barrel was a complete mess from all the hardened sap. It took me forever to clean the barrel. Lots of green crud.

I have also tried leather patching. I found that I could use a smaller ball when using leather. A .50 ball works quite well in my .54 rifle. I cut the patches from soft thin leather and then grease them. I have also been able to recover and reuse the leather patches. It might make sense to use leather patching if it allows you to use less lead.

GangGreen said:
Brokennock said:
The feather in the touch hole isn't to keep powder from leaking thru but to keep the hole clear during loading.

Thanks for the info.
If you reread that paragraph, it sure reads like the feather is blocking the powder from spilling into the
Pan, and no priming horn is mentioned.

Artificer said:
An early Portuguese book, Espingarda Perfeyta, The Perfect Gun, Cesar Fiosconi & Jordam Guserio, 1718:
"These were loaded by putting the bullet in a little piece of leather of a thin glove, folded only once, dipped in oil, and thus it was pushed down to the bottom in such a manner that the bullet may not lose its roundness:"

This last quote is interesting because it doesn't say whether or not it is a rifled gun. If it wasn't a rifled gun, this may be the only documentation I have seen of using a patch in a smoothbore.
No such luck, Gus. The sentence immediately preceding that one says:

"Others made barrels with rifling inside, some with more and others with less rifling, all of them deep and twisted in the form of a spiral. These were loaded...."

Spence

George said:
Artificer said:
An early Portuguese book, Espingarda Perfeyta, The Perfect Gun, Cesar Fiosconi & Jordam Guserio, 1718:
"These were loaded by putting the bullet in a little piece of leather of a thin glove, folded only once, dipped in oil, and thus it was pushed down to the bottom in such a manner that the bullet may not lose its roundness:"

This last quote is interesting because it doesn't say whether or not it is a rifled gun. If it wasn't a rifled gun, this may be the only documentation I have seen of using a patch in a smoothbore.
No such luck, Gus. The sentence immediately preceding that one says:

"Others made barrels with rifling inside, some with more and others with less rifling, all of them deep and twisted in the form of a spiral. These were loaded...."

Spence

Aw, SHUCKS!! There goes the only possible documentation on using patches in a smoothbore I ever saw.:wink:

However, thank you for providing the additional information and that is now added in my files.

However, I do wonder if they ever used a patched ball in a Pennslyvania Smooth Rifle? Do you possibly have any info on that?

Really appreciate the information.

Gus

Artificer said:
horner75 said:

I understand. I found it interesting at this time of year, you all tried leaves and they worked. IOW, it is a type of experimental archeology.

Gus

Rick,

Sorry I didn't finish my thought earlier. What I meant to add was while experimental archeology can not prove they "did it that way back then," it CAN prove whether it was possible to have done something "that way back then." If it is/was possible to have been done, as you showed, then it is possible that some folks did it that way back then.

Gus

Below is detailed account of Daniel Boone loading copied from Audubon's journals.

"Barking off squirrels is delightful sport, and, in my opinion, requires a greater degree of accuracy than any other. I first witnessed this manner of procuring squirrels whilst near the town of Frankfort. The performer was the celebrated Daniel Boone. We walked out together, and followed the rocky margins of the Kentucky River, until we reached a piece of flat land thickly covered with black walnuts, oaks, and hickories. As the general mast was a good one that year, squirrels were seen gamboling on every tree around us. My companion, a stout, hale, and athletic man, dressed in a homespun hunting-shirt, bare-legged and moccasined, carried a long and heavy rifle, which, as he was loading it, he said had proved efficient in all his former undertakings, and which he hoped would not fail on this occasion, as he felt proud to show me his skill. The gun was wiped, the powder measured, the ball patched with six-hundred-thread linen, and the charge sent home with a hickory rod. We moved not a step from the place, for the squirrels were so numerous that it was unnecessary to go after them. Boone pointed to one of these animals which had observed us, and was crouched on a branch about fifty paces distant, and bade me mark well the spot where the ball should hit. He raised his piece gradually, until the bead (that being the name given by the Kentuckians to the sight) of the barrel was brought to a line with the spot which he intended to hit. The whip-like report resounded through the woods and along the hills in repeated echoes. Judge of my surprise, when I perceived that the ball had hit the piece of the bark immediately beneath the squirrel, and shivered it into splinters, the concussion produced by which had killed the animal, and sent it whirling through the air, as if it had been blown up by the explosion of a powder magazine. Boone kept up his firing, and before many hours had elapsed, we had procured as many squirrels as we wished ..."

As related by J.J. Audubon, from Life & Times of Col. Daniel Boone by Cecil B. Harley

The original account in the Audubon journals (Vol. 2, page 460 of 1972 reprint) is the same as above but adds this at the end:

"...for you must know, kind reader, that to load a rifle requires only a moment, and that if it is wiped once after each shot, it will do duty for hours. Since that first interview with our veteran Boone I have seen many other individuals perform the same feat."

For some reason folks get the idea that cloth was rare on the frontier, but it in fact was normally the most common trade item on the lists.

Osborne Russell, notes in his journal that during at least one fight with the natives, you could see the blanket wadding when the natives fired their trade guns.

Back