• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Over powder patches............

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I've been doing a little research on this and I find it interesting. One such video I viewed was from a guy that uses on over the powder patch due to the RB patch being blown all to pieces. It baffles me as to why he doesn't simply go to a thicker patch or a more durable material patch for the RB. Could it be that the bore is too tight to accept a thicker patch?

So this begs the question of, is it conductive for better accuracy to use an over the powder patch on most ML's? And yes, I am fully aware that there can be quite a difference between barrels of the same type of ML.

At what distances will any difference be seen?

Simply looking for some input before I load some over the powder patches to see.

I have found that an over powder patch or wad makes a marked improvement in accuracy if the breech area of the rifle has some corrosion. The extra patch or wad raises the PRB above the corroded area and keeps the ball patch from shredding. I have used an over felt wad on an original 35 caliber gun from 1843 that has a corroded area from a charge that was left in the gun for over 100 years. Before using the wad accuracy was dismal at best and patches were shredded to pieces, but after using the wad I am now able to get 1.5" groups at 35 yards and the ball patches come out fine with just some minor fraying on the edges. I also found that an unlubed patch over the powder charge on my hunting guns that stay loaded sometimes for weeks helps to keep lube from contaminating the powder. Accuracy was not affected in any way.

As Grimord above states: I also use a simple over powder "card" to keep damp 50/50 Dawn/water patches from contaminating the powder....with 3 very positive results...consistent shots irregardless how long between shots, increased accuracy, and never a need to swab between shots...by that I mean shoot all day without swabbing between shots! In fact, our M/L group of folks have been doing the same for several years. Patches come out perfect.

In fact, there is a 4th obvious advantage...cleaning the barrel at the end of shooting is a breeze...plug the firehole with a toothpick, fill the bore 2/3 with plain water, slosh, dump it, repeat a second time, maybe a 3rd time for the charm... and bore is clean, just dry and lube the bore. The slight amount of Dawn/water patch residue in the bore after shooting, does the job quick and easy. Try it......

Last edited by a moderator:
As Grimord above states: I also use a simple over powder "card" to keep damp 50/50 Dawn/water patches from contaminating the powder....with 3 very positive results...consistent shots irregardless how long between shots, increased accuracy, and never a need to swab between shots...by that I mean shoot all day without swabbing between shots! In fact, our M/L group of folks have been doing the same for several years. Patches come out perfect.

In fact, there is a 4th obvious advantage...cleaning the barrel at the end of shooting is a breeze...plug the firehole with a toothpick, fill the bbl. 2/3 with plain water, slosh, dump it, repeat a second time and bbl. is clean, just lube. The slight amount of Dawn/water patch residue in the bore after shooting, does the job quick and easy. Try it......
Thanks, Tex.

Indeed. I've read of much good about over the powder cards. But I'm not really seeing what or why the need for an over the powder patch. Thus my rational for posting this thread. If there are any advantages then I'd sure like to hear them.

Can't speak to an increase in accuracy but I use a wad made from cotton insulating material. It is random all cotton, comes in meds I take so I have a lifetime supply.

Like others have said, makes all day shooting easier, clean up as well.
Yes I have the proper size ball/patch/material/lube combo.....

Don

I have been using 1/8” thick Durofelt wads soaked in olive oil over the powder in my .32 - allows me to use a wet patch and benefit is easy loading all day, good accuracy and clean up is easy like @1911tex mentioned.
Indeed, over powder wads has been proven. This is especially true for conical(s).

Still looking for information on over powder patches.

So is the any advantage of using an over the powder patch when using a proper patch?
That's easy yes just like using a seat belt ,added insurance ! Costs nothing except a little time, a patch can fail if your using to much powder /fabric is old /picking the wrong patch material with the wrong bore condition/or your crown doesn't like your choice (That day) ' lots of reasons to use an over patch ,and only one reason (nope 2) . Lazy /stuck on old school thinking or have to hurry this up (the injuns are coming ) It is the seat belt when you mess up and no down side . Ed

Last edited:
That's easy yes just like using a seat belt ,added insurance ! Costs nothing except a little time, a patch can fail if your using to much powder /fabric is old /picking the wrong patch material with the wrong bore condition/or your crown doesn't like your choice (That day) ' lots of reasons to use an over patch ,and only one reason not too. Lazy /stuck on old school thinking or have to hurry this up (the injuns are coming ) It is the seat belt when you mess up and no down side . Ed
Indeed. I certainly plan on trying it anyway even though my spend patches are fine.

I've never fired my .50 without a lubed felt wad between powder and patched ball. Just something I have always done. Other than time consumed, what can it hurt.

@ETipp , I found that the extra patch over powder below patched ball/conical to be effective in improving accuracy in some rifles. However, I found that the felt wad under the patched ball/conical improved accuracy more consistently than the patch under a patched ball/conical. I contributed it to the variation of how the patch packs under the patched ball/conical versus the consistent way a felt wad will be packed under the patched ball. A Theory: How much this technique improves a rifles accuracy MAY be contributed to the condition of the barrel internally.

Good luck with your trials & Keep us posted on your results.

I've never fired my .50 without a lubed felt wad between powder and patched ball. Just something I have always done. Other than time consumed, what can it hurt.
Accuracy?

As I stated above, I tried Eastern Maine shooting supplies 54 caliber lubed wads in my Woodsrunner, accuracy dropped, I was curious about what the spit patches looked like and found a couple with the lubed wad stuck to the patch.
Went back to spit patch only, accuracy returned, I may try it again one day with a dry wad instead of lubed but not today.

Latest posts

Back