• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help with Southern Appalachian Flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thomas S

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey Y'all,
I’m new to the forum and am looking to purchase or possibly build a flintlock that would have been popular around the NC, VA, TN area. I’ve heard them referred to as Southern Mountain rifles/Poor Boy rifles etc. My question is who or where would be the best place to start searching for a historically accurate (as possible) reproduction rifle? My family is from S.W. Virginia (near Bristol VA/TN) and I would like to have a flintlock that would've been a common mans rifle, as I have no original to go off of.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The desired time period is an important consideration for historical accuracy. :wink:

Trapper Tom Longrifle 78 aka Joe Shell on the forum would be a good guy to contact .He does some neat rifles ,knives,etc.618 579 5407 is his # Curt

Take a look at www.tnhogrifle.com They are nice. Here's mine been shooting her since 1978. .45 cal. Douglas bbl. L&R lock all other parts by me.

Last edited by a moderator:
1810 Mathew Gillespie

There were some small flaws in that rifle but I feel it's a great example of a very early North Carolina Mountain Rifle.

Now the "plain" rifles are really a 19th Century thing.

Now if you want to do the Rev War style of course the brass mounts would be more appropriate for a historical build.

Another feature for a Rev War era rifle would be stock decoration. At the bare minimum a rifle of that era should have carved fore stock and butt stock moulding, carved "beavertail" lock panels, sculpted cheek piece and either a simple metal or sliding wood box.

Nice rifles fellows......
A fellow can get lazy making them southern rifles!
No carving,or patch boxes".... :grin:

Tip Curtis, Cross Plains, Tenn. He has a shop, with all kinds of rifles. You'd get some good advice and a good price. He's an older guy, and doesn't do the internet. Call before you go, he does shows and such. I got a late Va. rifle from him, and several others, on this site, have bought guns, from him.

Thanks a bunch for the information guys. After talking to Longrifle 78 (Joe) last night I think I'm going to try my hand at building one. Like I told him, my son is a gunsmith who has more experience at inletting than myself; so that should be a plus.
Again, any help from this point forward is greatly appreciated.

Good luck friend, just buy the best parts you can afford, get a building book & take it slow. Plenty a people here to answer questions....Tom

Thanks Tom”¦ After pondering on this a bit I've come to the conclusion that the best way to get back in the water is to purchase a fairly good rifle kit, probably in the form of a .36 cal. squirrel rifle. After that, then tackle the S.W. Virginia rifle. I put together a percussion longrifle in the mid 70's which turned out pretty good, I even surprised myself being that I've always been a stickler for detail.
Of course I sold it; like I did with my forge, anvil and other blacksmithing tools thinking I'd never need them again or come back down with the muzzleloading fever. Sometimes it just pays to hang on to stuff! Joe told me to check the Pecatonica River kits, if there are any other companies out there that put together rather descent kits let me know.
Thanks again!

you might check with mr. Tip Curtis in Cross Plains, Tn. He's well known for his quality. 615-654-4445 He sells guns, kits and in the white.

If HC/PC is really a concern as you say, then I know of no "kit"/parts set offered by anyone other than Dennis Glazener and his Gilespies that comes close. He has really done all the homework for you and is a very helpful gentleman.

No offence to any vendor, but those offered by Tip, Track, TVM, Pecatonica, Sitting Fox, and all the others are only PC to the the 1960's and up. Heck, many don't even offer the appropriate lock in some of their sets.

I'm not even talking about the fact that they use investment cast steel hardware instead of hand forged iron as the originals. They are just a generic mock up and follow no actual makers form.

They can be reworked to be more representative, but only if one does their homework and really studies orignial work.

If somebody knows of somebody else who offers a set of parts that's as PC/HC as Dennis' please offer up the information.

Enjoy, J.D.

This gun was built from pecatonica's southern mountain stock with forged iron hardware. they leave enough wood you can do a lot of changing on them. The only complaint i'v had with Pecatonica is their wood tends to be on the soft side sometimes.
Picture2431.jpg
[/URL][/img]

My Tennessee rifles all have hand forged trim. I make all the parts except the bbl./lock/set tgrs. A guard has up to 7 pieces of steel in it. Like this one.

Joe, I've been looking at the North Carolina rifle you built on Contemporary Makers website, which is a very nice looking rifle. The question I have is which lock did you use on that particular rifle? Reason asking, I notice the back of the lock is rounded, riminiscent to a lot of original Southern Appalachian longrifles I've observed online.

Tom, is the trigger guard forge welded with borax or electric welded? Either way you did an excellent job! I don't know how many times I've kicked myself in the rear for selling my forge and tools. :idunno:

That guard was oxy/ace welded with my torch, I have beat them out the old way, I'm a retired welder/fabricator & can usually make whats needed from nose cap to butt plate. You are right to see lots of rifles, and most but not all do have a more "english" round plate look to them. The Chamber's late Ketland is a fine sparker and looks good on a southern rifle. I've used lots of them. Tom

Back