• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help please. Rifle shooting way low

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flak Jacket

32 Cal
Reaction score
I have a .50 cal. Pedersoli Kentucky that I'm trying to sight in. With 40 or 50 grs. of FFG and a .010 patch, from a bench rest the rifle consistently shoots 2 inches low. 70 grains will bring the group up an inch. I want to shoot a light target load and 70 grains just pounds my old arthritic shoulder. I'm concerned any more than 50 grs. will lead to a flinch. Before I file the front sight, should I try a .015 patch? Would that maybe bring the group up? Thanks for any advice and expertise. P.S. windage is dead on.

A tighter patch could raise pressure and possibly raise the group, but if your rifle is loading and shooting well with a good group using the 010” patch, I’d just file the front sight to zero your rifle. I doubt that you will be filing very much off the front sight.

I also suggest 40 grains of 3Fg and work up for groups, then file the front sight as required. 3F has been more consistent for me at lower charges than 2F in the mid-bores.

Also, are you putting the crescent in the pocket of your shoulder like a shotgun, or out on your arm a little at the pocket made by the top of the bicep? Crescent butt plates are pretty uncomfortable from a shooting bench unless you contort a little and sit sideways to the rifle. A lead-filled shoulder pad can also help, or get some shooting sticks and shoot standing if you have any difficulty holding the rifle offhand.

Once you get that .50 dialed in, get yourself a .32 or .36 caliber for fun at the range and small game, they are a delight to shoot and the only downside is the little balls are fiddly toncenter on the patch.

I have a .50 cal. Pedersoli Kentucky that I'm trying to sight in. With 40 or 50 grs. of FFG and a .010 patch, from a bench rest the rifle consistently shoots 2 inches low. 70 grains will bring the group up an inch. I want to shoot a light target load and 70 grains just pounds my old arthritic shoulder. I'm concerned any more than 50 grs. will lead to a flinch. Before I file the front sight, should I try a .015 patch? Would that maybe bring the group up? Thanks for any advice and expertise. P.S. windage is dead on.
I suggest putting file down and not worry about sighting the gun in until you figure out the most accurate load or loads. Are you 2” low at 100 yards? Or 2” low at 25 yards? Doesn’t really matter initially. What distance or distances do you plan to shoot? Find the load or loads that shoot accurately at those distances, then worry about adjusting the sights.

While you didn’t ask, have you considered a smaller caliber gun if recoil is that much of a concern? If you will only be target shooting, a smaller caliber may provide an answer. And will all your shooting be from a bench? Another variable to consider. A 32 caliber shot offhand has recoil comparable to a 22RF, at least with the 12 to 15 grain loads of 4F and 3F I use. Amazingly accurate at 25 yards, though challenging at greater distances because of wind.

And don’t forget 36, 40 and 45 caliber guns as an option. Paper is pretty easy to kill with minimal tracking if you have an accurate load for your gun.

I have taken deer with just 50 grains of powder in my 54cal. It just shoots super accurate and was plenty for deer.
Accuracy is certainly more important than knockdown power. My first buck with a smoke pile came at the hands of a .40 poorboy with 35 or 40 grains of powder.

Pedersoli Kentuckys have a taller front sight than required. First off find a load that your rifle likes with the tightest group possible. Once and only once you have that then slowly begin to file down the front sight.
My own Pedersoli Kentucky .50cal likes a .495 round ball, ticking patch lubed with olive oil and about 85 grains on black powder. I only shoot my muzzleloaders with hunting loads. The Red deer we have are considerably larger than White Tail.

I shoot 65gr FFG in my .50. If you go 65gr., It's not flinchable but will bring your hit point up some. Then you can start filing your front site. If your front site is low, replace the rear site with a taller one. As far as the patch goes, you want the ball to be quite snug, not bang down tight. Semper Fi.

Just figure where they're going and shoot a little high. Kentucky style.

Better low than high. Develop load that shoots the smallest group. Then file sight down to make POI equal POA at whatever distance you think is best. Think twice, file once.

Thank yo for all the responses. I don't hunt, just casual plinking and target shooting. 50 yards max, usually 30. I get a good group with 50 grs. of 2F. Next week I am going to try 3F powder. If the group tightens I'll start filing

Thank yo for all the responses. I don't hunt, just casual plinking and target shooting. 50 yards max, usually 30. I get a good group with 50 grs. of 2F. Next week I am going to try 3F powder. If the group tightens I'll start filing
For what it's worth, MOST but not all repro's have very tall front sights that require filing down to suit the users needs/wants. Find the load that suits you, at the distance that suits you, then file (ASSUMING you are low) to suit your wants/needs. If you ever find a gun that shoots higher than your wants/needs, replacement higher front sights are cheap (sub $20) and easily fitted.

Do try several different powder charges. Perhaps up to 65 grains. Watch the group size. When you get the smallest group, shoot the same load again to verify that the group is the same before doing any filing on the sights. I do know that lighting conditions, wind can make changes to groups. Don't be in a hurry to get out the file.

First decide what distance you are going to be shooting the most at then pick a load that will hit that target. Next find a load that gives you the best groups THEN adjust your sight height to that distance. If the recoil is too much for you then get a smaller caliber gun:dunno:. No rocket science here:rolleyes:.

Latest posts

Back