• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman Deerstalker Hunting Peep Sight Suggestions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all,
Back in 2020 I bought a 50 cal Lyman deerstalker flintlock from Dixons Muzzleloading shop per suggestions from this forum. It’s a fantastic gun, and a joy to shoot! Right now I’m using .15 inch thick patches, and a .490 roundball, with 90 grains of 2F. Last night during the last 10 minutes of shooting light to end out the Pennsylvania muzzleloading season, I had a shot on a deer roughly 90 yards out, and missed. Now historically on paper, I’m getting roughly 2-3 inch groups at 50 yards, but at 100 consistency goes way down. Once I missed that deer, I knew I needed to put some real work into making my flintlock effective out to 100 yards. A big part of this I believe to be a peep sight. What peep sight would you all recommend for my deerstalker, and what other things should I consider to help increase my confidence at range with this rifle?

All input is Greatly appreciated - Ethan

If you want something that can be locked down for one specific load this is a goo option, while still offering adjustability. The second photo shows the Williams Foolproof (not really foolproof since fools are so darned clever)
IMG_3475.jpeg
IMG_3474.jpeg

The Skinner peep is also a very good hunting sight. You’ll need to adjust windage from the foresight but they’re very solid and lightweight. Just drill and tap one hole on the top center of your tang.
IMG_3477.jpeg

Coupla thoughts come to mind. In the last ten minutes of “shooting light” I’m going suggest that a peep sight would be pretty worthless, especially so at 90 yds.
Without actual range time at 90-100 yds, there’s actually no way to know what you’re getting at those kind of ranges from your rifle and load combination. 2-3 inches @ 50 on a paper target under good shooting conditions will likely be “ good enough “ to humanely kill a deer at 50 ( or less) but things get wonky when you try to stretch it to 90-100. That’s my experience, not opinion.
With respect, I recommend recalibrating your expectations until you spend a lot of range time at 90-100 yds under low light conditions.
Also take a look at your patches. I’ve had.015 patch material that held up fine with modest paper target loads but totally disintegrated when the powder charge was increased into the 80-90 gn range. That could also be affecting the longer range results.

Everyone has different eyes and opinions but there is no more effective low light iron sight system than a peep and post. I have used peeps almost exclusively since 1955 or so. Conditions varied from noon day Arizona sun to the twilight in Vietnamese jungle. Across canyons and at handshake distance. The only adjustment necessary is to the aperture. Use a large ghost aperture for the lowest light and a tighter target aperture for bright sun. Lately I have been using a fiber optic front sight which shows up very well in low light conditions. I prefer green but some people like the red fiber.

My journey with a Deerstalker (percussion) is the same as yours. Years ago iron sights OK, then peep sights were needed and I also put a small dia fiber optic on the front sight which I also had filed much thinner. This works well in normal light but I found that those sights on the late-arriving deer wouldn't give me a reliable sight picture in the low light. Look thru my 8X binocs and the deer were perfectly clear. So all of my rifles now wear Lyman or Williams peeps, but my low light solution was to put a 2-7X Scout pistol scope with epoxied-on Weaver mounts. Yes, it's a bastardization but you gotta do what you gotta do. My family loves deer meat and depend on me putting it on the table.
As for your 100 yard deer shots, I won't take a shot if I don't honestly believe I can make it cleanly. My Deerstalker will group very well at 50 yds but even off a very steady rest it won't give me 100 yd groups that I would feel confident in putting a clean kill shot on a deer, and I'm shooting a cap lock. If you really want to pursue that 100 yd goal i'd recommend LOTS of practice and refining a load for that distance. With that short-barreled flint lock it would be a hekuva shot and would best be taken from a stand with a solid support for shooting.

Not tryin ta be a smarty but I have found that if I use the twilight times to either walk in or out of my hunting area, then I tend to use shooting times to great benefit. Also if a bad shot, it also allows me time to track ‘em and not ruin meat … just sayin. To be an ethical hunter, means that if no certain kill shot is available, then either wait for more daylight or hang it up till mornin.

again, not tryin to be a turkey, just mentioning that part of our sport is the ethical taking of game. Wanna stretch that limit then the more modern weapons might serve ya better with the glass sights they offer.

Not tryin ta be a smarty but I have found that if I use the twilight times to either walk in or out of my hunting area, then I tend to use shooting times to great benefit. Also if a bad shot, it also allows me time to track ‘em and not ruin meat … just sayin. To be an ethical hunter, means that if no certain kill shot is available, then either wait for more daylight or hang it up till mornin.

again, not tryin to be a turkey, just mentioning that part of our sport is the ethical taking of game. Wanna stretch that limit then the more modern weapons might serve ya better with the glass sights they offer.
Yeah, this is true. Looking back, I'm really glad I missed the deer, instead of wounding it or having to track it for miles. I'm definitely going to have to put in the work if I wanna take a shot that far again.

Old post but I thought I would add a question: are peep/adjustable sights allowed in the Penn muzzleloader season. I thought they had to be barrel sights i.e notch sights.

PA allowed peeps, maybe 15 years ago, maybe more.
Way back, it was ball only too.
In October, they allow percussion and inlines for doe for a week. That season you can even use scopes.

Old post but I thought I would add a question: are peep/adjustable sights allowed in the Penn muzzleloader season. I thought they had to be barrel sights i.e notch sights.
“Flintlock Muzzleloader Season Flintlock ignition, single-barrel long gun, 44 caliber or larger, or 50 caliber or larger handgun, using single- projectile ammunition. It is unlawful to use telescopic sights. Peep sights are permitted.”

Everyone has different eyes and opinions but there is no more effective low light iron sight system than a peep and post. I have used peeps almost exclusively since 1955 or so. Conditions varied from noon day Arizona sun to the twilight in Vietnamese jungle. Across canyons and at handshake distance. The only adjustment necessary is to the aperture. Use a large ghost aperture for the lowest light and a tighter target aperture for bright sun. Lately I have been using a fiber optic front sight which shows up very well in low light conditions. I prefer green but some people like the red fiber.
I wholeheartdly agree my father swore by and always used a peepsight on his Winchester 95 in 30-06. when I was a kid he would have me check it out before hunting.
Now that was arifle a person did not want to be shooting prone even at 9 pounds , a shoulder killer.
When I was in the service we shot the M1 Garrand rifle equiped with peepsights or better called aperature. No I am not tyuing to start an argument but a battle rifle is designed to be used in any and all conditions.

And was with good effect as history shows.

Blitz

Last edited:
I am a 63 yrs old newbie at muzzle loading. My eyes are not what they used to be and I am having issues seeing regular irons so I might give a peep sight a try. The issue is I have a left handed Great Plains rifle and cannot find one of those Lyman's to fit it. Thinking about making one in the future.

I am a 63 yrs old newbie at muzzle loading. My eyes are not what they used to be and I am having issues seeing regular irons so I might give a peep sight a try. The issue is I have a left handed Great Plains rifle and cannot find one of those Lyman's to fit it. Thinking about making one in the future.
Many have recomended the Skinner peep for ease of installation and I think the price is decent also.

Blitz

Williams make a barrel mounted peep which replaces the rear sight. I’ve never tried a peep mounted so far down the barrel but I’ve heard from some who have and they say it works just fine…

Latest posts

Back