• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help Identifying

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Zulch, an easy bore light can be made by sliding a pistol case down the bore primer end up / facing you, use a shiny one and shine a flash light down the bore, it will show you what condition the bore is in, works every time, a poor mane bore light! make that the empty pistol case is smaller than the bore, exp. 9m/m , 45,acp, etc.

Zulch, an easy bore light can be made by sliding a pistol case down the bore primer end up / facing you, use a shiny one and shine a flash light down the bore, it will show you what condition the bore is in, works every time, a poor mane bore light! make that the empty pistol case is smaller than the bore, exp. 9m/m , 45,acp, etc.
Ahhhhhhhhh :thumb: I understand. That makes perfect sense. It would also send a message to the owner that I know at least to look at the condition of the bore. Thank you for that great advice!! 🙂

you are so very welcome. that is the little things that come from being around guns for 68 + YRS. yes he will know that you are not a NIMROD! that this is not your first rodeo!. glad I could help you. toot.

The ones that don't say Made in USA shoot very good also but people tend to value the ones that say USA more. ML season is over in allot of places so the prices usually drop this time of year. Just things to keep in mind to maybe get the price knocked down some.

I recently ran across this in a local pawn shop that sells BP supplies. No one could tell me anything about it. Please see pictures. I’m sorry if the pictures are not the best. Appreciate any thoughts that anyone cares to share. Thank youView attachment 108301View attachment 108302View attachment 108304View attachment 108305
yes it is a CVA mountain rifle. 1 in 66 twist. to get the price down maybe, run a spit patch down the barrel. most likely a little rust will come up with the patch. then tell them it's got problems, offer them 250 at the most. as other have told you, there good shooters. i make my rifles , but i own one of the american made ones, wont part with it. I think the company in spain that made them made the Austin halleck rifles to.

The ones that don't say Made in USA shoot very good also but people tend to value the ones that say USA more. ML season is over in allot of places so the prices usually drop this time of year. Just things to keep in mind to maybe get the price knocked down some.
mooman76, very nice of you to tell me that. I never even considered the ML season effecting prices. I have much to learn. Thanks for being so helpful.

yes it is a CVA mountain rifle. 1 in 66 twist. to get the price down maybe, run a spit patch down the barrel. most likely a little rust will come up with the patch. then tell them it's got problems, offer them 250 at the most. as other have told you, there good shooters. i make my rifles , but i own one of the american made ones, wont part with it. I think the company in spain that made them made the Austin halleck rifles to.
Hi unclelouie, thanks for posting on this thread. That's an excellent idea. Thank you. It seems, based on the comments I've received, that for the most part, these rifles are well respected by many? Great shooters and your comment that you wouldn't part with it? With all these positive comments the rifle must be a very good one to have. Thanks again. :thumb:

Dale, thank you for that information. Correct me if I'm wrong please. It seems you believe it's most likely made in Spain? Interesting to me since that is my last name. Maybe someone is trying to tell me something. HAHAHA
That is correct. All of those made in USA are clearly marked, have four screw patch boxes and hexagon ramrod ferrules. All of them are very good shooters. [may be] Dale

The "Made in USA" barrels were made by Douglas and are of excellent quality. The Spanish ones are nothing to sneeze at either. If the barrel is in good shape, it will be a good shooter.
rp77469. Thank you sir. I appreciate your comments and interest. :thumb:

I wouldn't offer over $300 for the rifle. If the bore is good it will be accurate.
hanshi, Good afternoon sir. Thank you very much. Man I've gotten some great information here. I appreciate all that have commented. Very helpful indeed!. :thumb:

late to the party ... not to sound conformist, but i concur with the overall consensus: what you have here is a 250 to 300 dollar rifle with a 500 dollar price tag (assuming that the bore is in good shape. Run a spit patch down the bore and it will most probably come up with a bunch of dirt (and maybe some rust) ... if you feel a hard spot or a rough spot, take a pass. When the patch comes up all finky, use this to dicker the owner down to the 250 range.

if he (or she) won't let you run a patch, keep your money in your wallet.

Good luck, and make good smoke :)

late to the party ... not to sound conformist, but i concur with the overall consensus: what you have here is a 250 to 300 dollar rifle with a 500 dollar price tag (assuming that the bore is in good shape. Run a spit patch down the bore and it will most probably come up with a bunch of dirt (and maybe some rust) ... if you feel a hard spot or a rough spot, take a pass. When the patch comes up all finky, use this to dicker the owner down to the 250 range.

MSW. I really appreciate your in depth comments and recommendations. Very good advice. Everyone here has been so helpful and I can’t thank you all enough.

I wish I'd had your advice before my second failed marriage .....

Well I cant speak for you guys in the USA, but here in Australia even our $499 would be considered extortionate for a CVA in that condition.
I wish I'd had your advice before my second failed marriage .....

Coinneach....thank you so much for the comments. It's good to hear from folks all over about the pricing. I know that I would not pay that.
How's life down there? Never visited there. I'm sure it's a beautiful place. Not trying to preach with the following remark. Regarding marriage? It's a full time job. 37 years for me now. Personally, It can be very difficult at times an other times not so difficult? A friend of mine was wearing a t-shirt one day and it really hit home with me. It merely said "Mindset is Everything" I try to take one day at a time. LOL :thumb: Thanks again my friend.

Follow the advice contained in an old adage. When you are selling something "you learn that it is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it". Pay no attention to the seller's asking price unless it is lower than you are willing to pay. Determine what it is worth to you and offer that to buy. If your offer is excepted then you got a fair deal, if it is rejected then it's price is simply to high for you.

Back