• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need help identifying flint rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello, so I went by my local pawnshop and came across this flint style rifle. Asked workers and no one had any background into the rifle. I couldn't pass this up for the $ they had it listed. There are no markings on it and wanted to see if anyone here could assist. Thank you.
1000029610.jpg
1000029604.jpg
1000029607.jpg

Hello, so I went by my local pawnshop and came across this flint style rifle. Asked workers and no one had any background into the rifle. I couldn't pass this up for the $ they had it listed. There are no markings on it and wanted to see if anyone here could assist. Thank you. View attachment 276626View attachment 276627View attachment 276628
It looks like a Hatfield Plains Rifle. I don’t think many were made, but they were good quality. If the bore is good, that price is a steal.

If it's super shiny and smooth, you got ripped off. Bad barrel. Not to worry, I will take it off your hands for $100.
Ok, being serious, you are looking for rust pitting and/ or really rough tooling on the rifling. Either way, since you own it now, shooting it will tell you what you need to know. But if it is pitted at all, or rough, I would give it a few rounds or 0000 steel wool on a jag to polish her up inside. Otherwise, if the bore looks good, clean, smooth and unpitted, you should be fine. Nice find tony. SW

If it's super shiny and smooth, you got ripped off. Bad barrel. Not to worry, I will take it off your hands for $100.
Ok, being serious, you are looking for rust pitting and/ or really rough tooling on the rifling. Either way, since you own it now, shooting it will tell you what you need to know. But if it is pitted at all, or rough, I would give it a few rounds or 0000 steel wool on a jag to polish her up inside. Otherwise, if the bore looks good, clean, smooth and unpitted, you should be fine. Nice find tony. SW
Thank you, I appreciate the feedback. Yes I am super excited about this find. Really appreciate all your help.

@tonytorres4934 ,

You got a great deal! That looks like a nice rifle.

Respectfully, I get the sense that you may be relatively new to muzzleloading. For any used muzzleloader, the very first thing you’ll need to do is check to make sure it isn’t loaded. If you don’t know how, that’s fine, just ask and we can tell you. It’s easy.

I see a .54 stamp on the barrel, and assuming it hasn’t been bored out or lined, you probably have a .54 caliber rifle. Storekeepers, bless their hearts, are sometimes clueless.

I would strongly recommend getting a basic muzzleloading manual, and look up cleaning and loading recommendations before you take it to the range.

Make sure you load black powder or an appropriate substitute only. This is very important. If you have any questions, please ask!

You got yourself a spectacular deal on a nice rifle there, Bub. There are fun times ahead. Just be safe!

Notchy Bob

Use this forum for a TON of information on the care and use of this rifle. Light rust in the barrel can be remedied with scotch brite pads on a cleaning jag (search in the forum).

As others have said that price was a steal.

You have an excellent deer/bear/hog rifle there.

I should have offered a better option for viewing the bore. The lighted arrow nocks or the fishing bobber lights are much shorter than the AAA battery. The light provides much more light to see the condition of the barrel and these are considerably cheaper than the bore scopes. It's worthwhile to have one with you when going to look at a bore.

These are available at many of the big box sporting goods stores.

https://www.fishusa.com/Thill-Nite-Brite-Battery-Lights/?sku=111699
And, of course, Amazon or Ebay.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=lighted+...3_13552456&tag=mh0b-20&ref=pd_sl_2sxanvqe2l_e

That is a Wildernesses Rifle Works “Elk Hunter” in .54. They were manufactured with leftover parts when Missouri River Rifle Works ceased production on the last generation of Hatfields. That rifle is 100% American made. The lock will be an L&R. The only difference between that and the last of the Hatfields is the lack of the name. Here is a shot of my .50. If you pass drop me a PM and I’ll buy it!A2EFCAE6-44BC-4A5B-949A-CB72983E6B5C.jpegA2EFCAE6-44BC-4A5B-949A-CB72983E6B5C.jpeg

Latest posts

Back