• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help Identifying

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have one of these early CVA .50 Cal Mountain Rifles with the pewder nose caps, Bought it at a wholesalers store back in the 1970s, along with another one, that were in a SALE! barrel, for under $100. Both were kits with maple stocks. I kept the one for myself because the serial number is 7000. Gave the second one to my hunting buddy for Christmas. I had just got my FFL and newly licensed Gunsmith. My hunting buddy has gone to the big range in the sky , but I still have mine,

Attachments

• 50MountainRifle02.JPG
    50MountainRifle02.JPG
    154.6 KB · Views: 55
There was an older model of the same gun, made in USA and well marked on the barrel flat near the rear sight. And a newer model of that gun marked [sometimes not very deeply] simply "Spain". The newer ones have, reputedly, Douglas barrels. Do not shoot a Douglas barrel. GR Douglas went out of that business in 1985, result of a lawsuit where a pipefitter lost most of his hand to a barrel with pre-existing cracks. Spanish made barrels are made to shoot.er. All are good shooters and are becoming more valuable. Dale

I have one of these early CVA .50 Cal Mountain Rifles with the pewder nose caps, Bought it at a wholesalers store back in the 1970s, along with another one, that were in a SALE! barrel, for under $100. Both were kits with maple stocks. I kept the one for myself because the serial number is 7000. Gave the second one to my hunting buddy for Christmas. I had just got my FFL and newly licensed Gunsmith. My hunting buddy has gone to the big range in the sky , but I still have mine, It is really accurate with a load of 90 gr FF and a patched round ball (poured and molded by me from collected lead shot scavengered at a loval trap range. I have a pound of tripple seven to try out that a "Modern "muzzleloading friend wanted me to try out, but I haven't yet.
My rifle is priceless, as my two boys both want it for their inheritance, but my grandson also put in his "dibs".

There was an older model of the same gun, made in USA and well marked on the barrel flat near the rear sight. And a newer model of that gun marked [sometimes not very deeply] simply "Spain". The newer ones have, reputedly, Douglas barrels. All are good shooters and are becoming more valuable. Dale
It is the older "made in the USA" barrels that were reputedly Douglas barrels. Use reasonable Black Powder loads and the barrel is quite safe.

It is the older "made in the USA" barrels that were reputedly Douglas barrels. Use reasonable Black Powder loads and the barrel is quite safe.
Please note: I did not write the bold type portion of the quote. It was added by Mr. Kelley. That's OK ... just wanted to be clear. I know that can happen but I would immediately find out what powder was being used. I have been using Douglas barrels for many years along with other ML users. I have never witnessed a barrel blowing, nor have I ever heard, or read about, a Douglas barrel blowing up when used with any reasonable charge of Black powder. I would love to see proof [not anecdotal] of such an event. Polecat

Follow the advice contained in an old adage. When you are selling something "you learn that it is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it". Pay no attention to the seller's asking price unless it is lower than you are willing to pay. Determine what it is worth to you and offer that to buy. If your offer is excepted then you got a fair deal, if it is rejected then it's price is simply to high for you.
Hiddensmoke. Thank you sir. Wisdom. It's a wonderful thing. You have it sir. I benefit from it. Thank you kindly.

Grenadier1758, Thank you and roger that. I appreciate your response. So if this is a Spanish version then it may not be equipped with a Douglas barrel? Please elaborate if you wish. By the way that's a nice Avatar you got there :thumb: Thanks again.

Our good friend Toot has a flexible way with spelling, just so's you know. 'co is prison' can be translated to read 'so is prison'. We love him anyhow, for all his forlts. ;)
TFoley, Good mornign sir. HAHAHAHAHAHA...I like that. Thank you for clarifying. Very interesting an humorous perspective. What a comparison. :)

Please note: I did not write the bold type portion of the quote. It was added by Mr. Kelley. That's OK ... just wanted to be clear. I know that can happen but I would immediately find out what powder was being used. I have been using Douglas barrels for many years along with other ML users. I have never witnessed a barrel blowing, nor have I ever heard, or read about, a Douglas barrel blowing up when used with any reasonable charge of Black powder. I would love to see proof [not anecdotal] of such an event. Polecat
Dale, Sir, I understand and thank you in reference to the BOLD quote. Got it. I will inquire about what powder that was used in the rifle. Hopefully, the real owner of the rifle is the owner of the pawn shop. If not then it will most likely be unknown? Thank you Dale for your comments. You sir, are a very helpful and friendly person. Thank you, Tim

Grenadier1758, Thank you and roger that. I appreciate your response. So if this is a Spanish version then it may not be equipped with a Douglas barrel? Please elaborate if you wish. By the way that's a nice Avatar you got there :thumb: Thanks again.
The Spanish barrels made for the CVA rifles are generally considered to be of good quality and have been proven to be accurate on target.

Last edited:

Attachments

• 6173WhOoqSL._AC_SX522_.jpg
    6173WhOoqSL._AC_SX522_.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 32
Coinneach....thank you so much for the comments. It's good to hear from folks all over about the pricing. I know that I would not pay that.
How's life down there? Never visited there. I'm sure it's a beautiful place. Not trying to preach with the following remark. Regarding marriage? It's a full time job. 37 years for me now. Personally, It can be very difficult at times an other times not so difficult? A friend of mine was wearing a t-shirt one day and it really hit home with me. It merely said "Mindset is Everything" I try to take one day at a time. LOL :thumb: Thanks again my friend.

Nice to hear from you, I've been married twice, last time round was 2005 it was a disaster that cost me my Home and land (no kids involved thank god).

Never again, I only enjoy casual hook ups nowadays.
Life isnt so bad out here in the country regions, the Covid BS politics etc dont affect us really, I've been high on independent living since my retirement in 2007, and BP Flintlocks are a part of that although it can be an expensive obsession in the land of Aussies. Everything is imported unless available as a second hand buy, example the other day I felt Santa had kissed my Arse when I bought 3 x 1kg WANO (German) 3fg Black powder for AUS$97 a Kg.

these are actually ok rifles but they have weak locks and sub standard fit and finish Its priced about twice what its worth on good day maybe $ 200.00 Over 400 bucks for a used Spanish made muzzle loader missing parts is a rip off beware 400+ bucks look for some thing better .

these are actually ok rifles but they have weak locks and sub standard fit and finish Its priced about twice what its worth on good day maybe $ 200.00 Over 400 bucks for a used Spanish made muzzle loader missing parts is a rip off beware 400+ bucks look for some thing better .
Irishmusket, thank you very much for your comments. If I do decide to buy it ? I would offer much less than $499.00 or I would not buy it, thanks again :thumb:

sorry a senior moment. SO IS PRISON!
Toot.... Yes I did:ThankYou: I must say, I got quite a chuckle out of that remark!! HAHAHAHAHAHA...Marriage is an institution....So is Prison!! May I borrow that from you sir? 😂

sorry a senior moment. SO IS PRISON!
Toot, I have those senior moments too. I just wanted to say that I really appreciate the warm welcome I have received from everyone on this thread! You know, me being the kid on the block and all? It's very nice here.
Thanks,
Tim

Nice to hear from you, I've been married twice, last time round was 2005 it was a disaster that cost me my Home and land (no kids involved thank god).

Never again, I only enjoy casual hook ups nowadays.
Life isnt so bad out here in the country regions, the Covid BS politics etc dont affect us really, I've been high on independent living since my retirement in 2007, and BP Flintlocks are a part of that although it can be an expensive obsession in the land of Aussies. Everything is imported unless available as a second hand buy, example the other day I felt Santa had kissed my Arse when I bought 3 x 1kg WANO (German) 3fg Black powder for AUS$97 a Kg.
Coinneach,
Hi. Well, it's Nice to hear back from you. :thumb: I have another 6 years before I retire...Not sure I want to but we will see. Say, how is that WANO powder? I've heard of but never used any. How does it compare with Swiss or the Old Eynsford? Assuming you have used either of those? 3kg equates to about 6.5 pounds roughly if my extrapolation is correct? The price sounds very good as well!!! That's about roughly $70 here!! WOW. Correct me if I am wrong on that please. You must have been good all year long!! 😇 How do you keep the "occasional hookups" a secret from Santa?

Back