• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help getting started in muzzleloading

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad S.

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hello all,

Joined the forum recently for help getting started in muzzleloading.

I have a Pedersoli Brown Bess and I need some help getting it ready to shoot. I picked up 5lbs of 2F BP to start shooting with, but I need to know what other accessories I should get.

I know I need some lead flint clamps. I got some 1 1/8 English flints last year track of the wolf, which look like they will work fit.

What else should I get? I know I need a powder measure, and I figure I will eventually get a cartridge box. Would 75 grains of 2F be a good load to shoot PRB ? Should I get a separate priming measure? What is a good way to measure how much powder works to prime?

Regards

Last edited:
Hello all,

I have a Pedersoli Brown Bess and I need some help getting it ready to shoot. I picked up 5lbs of 2F BP to start shooting with, but I need to know what other accessories I should get.

I know I need some lead flint clamps. I got some 1 1/8 English flints last year track of the wolf, which look like they will work fit.

What else should I get? I know I need a powder measure, and I figure I will eventually get a cartridge box. Would 75 grains of 2F be a good load to shoot PRB ? Should I get a separate priming measure? What is a good way to measure how much powder works to prime?

Regards
My BB does not like lead! Get some leather for the flints. Make sure you have a ball puller, ball starter, knife, patch material, and or some tow. U don't measure prime, kind of like how much salt do you like on your burger.
Larry

My King's Musket likes 100 grains of real black powder I have handy. I use the same powder in the pan. I much prefer the leather wrap for the flint. It's easy to get the leather to conform to the shape of the flint and lead will loosen as the musket is fired. C300

Have you measured the bore? Most likely it will be 0.750". These smooth bored guns are pretty forgiving when it comes to ball size. A ball no larger than 0.735" is a good size. 0.015" cotton patching will work. You can go smaller for easier loading.

The best measure for priming the pan is the pan. Use your horn to fill it about half full to 3/4 full with the powder even on the bottom of the pan.

Once you get a cartridge box, you will begin making the paper cartridges. That's time for another discussion.

Hello all,

Regards
Congratulations on getting started. Take heed of the good advice given above. Make a list of the recommended items and get what you need.

My BB does not like lead! Get some leather for the flints. Make sure you have a ball puller, ball starter, knife, patch material, and or some tow. U don't measure prime, kind of like how much salt do you like on your burger.
Larry
I agree with Larry: don't use lead to hold your flint in the jaws. Find a pair of worn-out leather gloves in your garage and cut a piece of the thin leather from part of the glove.

Last edited:
Do an internet search and look for a muzzleloading club in your area! Meeting, talking and shooting with other like-minded folks will teach you a lot.

I picked up 5lbs of 2F BP to start shooting with, but I need to know what other accessories I should get.

Much less than you would think. For 15 years I shot and hunted with a Bess and used the attached rammer and a tow worm to clean. Used tow (Silver Shuttle in TN - doubt they are still in business) and soapy water to clean. Once home a bottle of Kroil and cotton rags to wipe the metal down.

You need flints, a turn screw (screwdriver) or punch to fit the top jaw screw. A powder measure (90 grains +/-), 2F blackpowder for charge AND priming works but you need a horn or flask and should have a smaller one for priming . . . but technically not required, flint leathers (lead was used but not recommended by folks like Jim Chambers), cast balls of appropriate size. I rolled paper cartridges and used onion skin typewriter paper (still have a little left). For lube I used 50/50 beeswax and mutton tallow to dip the ball-end of the cartridge in. If you carry it for a patch cut it to 30/70 wax to tallow and put it in a little "tin" (Altoids/shoe polish metal container or similar).

The one thing you do want to have is a ball puller. Inevitably you will dry-ball a load or want to pull one without firing. When that happens you need a good ball-puller attachment. I also carry a 12" x 1" leather strap. Can be used for flint leathers, but when pulling a ball by wrapping that around the rammer you get a LOT better grip to drill into and pull the ball.

A Hawthorn tree thorn or porcupine quill makes a GREAT vent pick. Toothpicks work but can break in the vent and leave you in a pickle. I make metal ones out of hammerred (heat softened) clothes hanger wire; but you should be able to shoot a dozen shots before needing to pick the vent. I seldom had to with my Bess - but it had a HUGE vent. A real treat to shoot with a wide hat brim.

A belt or shoulder bag to carry your accoutrements around in.

Anything after that is luxury, or worthless junk to carry around and eventually end up in a drawer somewhere. It is a good plan to have a proper screwdriver to remove the lock for cleaning at home.

Last edited:
On the bit about lead, most folks don't recommend it these days because while it holds your flint securely, it holds it too securely. There isn't much if any give when the flint strikes the frizzen, leading to more shock to the parts of your lock, which, in turn, wears it out quicker. That is the rational, at least. I've never tried it, so I can only offer up what information I've been told. Some lock makers apparently believe it enough that they will not warrant a lock that has been used with lead to secure the flint instead of leather.

On the bit about lead, most folks don't recommend it these days because while it holds your flint securely, it holds it too securely. There isn't much if any give when the flint strikes the frizzen, leading to more shock to the parts of your lock, which, in turn, wears it out quicker. That is the rational, at least. I've never tried it, so I can only offer up what information I've been told. Some lock makers apparently believe it enough that they will not warrant a lock that has been used with lead to secure the flint instead of leather.
Agree, lead was used on military arms during the 18th century, but very little, if any, civilian use. Pedersoli is the only maker I know of that packages with a lead wrapped flint, I assume they still do, maybe not.

As above, turn screw, ball puller, worm. I like a large wooden rod to clean with. The end should be pinned on. Easy to make, a place like Log Cabin sport and Track of the wolf sells them pre made, but several
Tow can be hard to find. You can buy hemp cord at wal mart, cut in to one foot length then tease it apart. Doing it of an evening watching boob tube you can make a big pile of fiber real quick
An adjustable measure.
As above bess can like a stout charge. However different loads can be done effectively. A shot load may be real happy with seventy grains
Patches work great, and while we can’t document any PRB in a smoothie before the 1840s it could have been done. On the other hand a stout charge and bare ball on top of wadding works great, be ready to experiment.
Accuracy is relative. A bess can never stand side by side with a rifle, however you can get accuracy superior to a slug in a shot gun.
If you choose to hunt keep in mind it’s archery on steroids. Get close, fifty yards or so, the closer the better.
Don’t let the sun set on a dirty gun. And one shot is as dirty as fifty
All sorts of cleaning procedures, and my way is the best says every shooter. It all boils down to one thing. Clean dry oil. Make sure you do all three
Don’t look on it as a drudge. It’s part of the sport. While your cleaning relive in your mind how it got dirty, enjoy the feel of bess in your arms while doing it
Set aside a penny jar. Remember one ML and the stuff to go along with it is too much, and a thousand not enough

I've never shot a BB and don't own one. That said, I do own a T/C Renegade flintlock and have shot it both with leather and lead ("forged" bullet). Honestly, I haven't noticed any difference between the lead and the leather. YMMV.

I agree that loads in the seventy grain level or so are kind of light for a bore as large as that of a Brown Bess musket... unless you are using 3f powder, which many of us do these days.

As you are rapidly discovering, different loads and techniques are heavily based on opinions of crotchety old men such as myself. Wait until you enter the Cleaning and Lubrication War. ;)

Hello all,

Regards
Using lead will break locks. Too much inertia. Most companies won't warrant a lock used with lead. Just because they used to do it, doesn't mean it's a good idea.

Welcome to the madness ! In your pouch ....a touch hole pick ,can be just a nail ground smaller on one end , a flint knapper screw driver combo , cleaning jag , patch puller and ball puller , patching material ( I like T shirt material , .015-0.17 thick and cheap to free ) , flints , powder measure , patch knife ( if you dont have one o. Your belt ) . Powder horn or flask . Measure your priming just by sight , its fine . Prime with the same powder as your main charge is . Find a round ball mold and a shot dipper ( for measuring shot amount ts ) later when you can , Folks make cleaning a muzzleloader into such a huge chore , I've never understood why . After reading crazy stuff on here I've timed my last cleaning sessions . 8 min. and 12 minutes were my last two cleaner ng sessions for my N.W. trade gun . 15-20 patches , 2" sq. approx. cleans up most shooting sessions . Tooth pic in your touch hole or close frizzen on a patch if your worried about gunk down your stock , I leave it all open , cleans the touch hole out , I do t mind the gunk , it wipes off . Dip the patch in water , run it down the tube and out , first few will be soaked dripping black gunk , do this until it ain't near as bad and sometimes you can flip the patch over and use that side too ....anyway , water patches until gunk is gone ( if using dark colored material I'll throw in a light one to check for fouling ) , then a few dry patches then an oil patch and I keep it down, I tooth brush with water the pan and surrounding area , then wipe dry ....I pull the rod out and take the patch out and run it down the barrel , in pan , on frizzen and area .... and any iron parts quick .... Its done . Some time folks like leather for flint / jaw clamping but lead works good too. Hammer a round ball down then cut it into a rectangular strip .....75-80 gr. of powder is just fine for a powder charge . Folks seem to like to waste powder . Later if you want to up the charge , fine ....but why ? Its your choice . 2F or 3 F is fine . I use them all....

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back