• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So who ever buys it I, never want to hear them complaining about food prices or the cost of gas
Whuddaya mean Packrat, I saw that same rifle for sale for $450.00 before Sleepy joe saved the economy. How are we supposed to forage when a $450 rifle now costs $10,000 ? That's $450 and 95 and a half tanks of gas for my truck. Ouch !
SW

I suspect that ol J&S Hawken copied the original Thompson Centre ones, but couldnt afford the glitzy Brass.........
Surprisingly enough, Jake and Sam Hawken produced a number of smaller caliber guns for the local small game and target shooters that had the brass hardware and single wedge to attach the stock. The T/C rifles look very much like the rifles that were produced for the local Missouri and Illinois market by Hawken and Dimmick. I think that is the Hawken model used by T/C

Surprisingly enough, Jake and Sam Hawken produced a number of smaller caliber guns for the local small game and target shooters that had the brass hardware and single wedge to attach the stock. The T/C rifles look very much like the rifles that were produced for the local Missouri and Illinois market by Hawken and Dimmick. I think that is the Hawken model used by T/C
OK, but why after reading your post here did I get an imaginary image of Pee Wee Herman pedalling along an isolated Hill track with a .22 cal Hawken Rifle on his girly boy Bicycle hunting for Grizzly Bear ?

And they couldn't find a source for that coil mainspring.
Or the chatter marks throughout the Rifling I saw when I was carefully checking out a TC "Hawken" Rifle way back in 89; not that I'm claiming it was common but there it was when I put a narrow flashlight beam into the muzzle.

I just took another look at the Parker Hawken (the subject of this thread) on the River Junction website. The asking price is now $6,950, which represents a pretty substantial drop. Maybe the original price of almost $10k was a typo (?). It is still out of my range, but in today’s world, for a rifle of this quality, the new price may not be out of line.

I was browsing through the Hallowell & Co. website last night. They deal in “fine sporting guns,” mostly britch-loaders Among their new arrivals, they have a Belgian Browning superposed 12 gauge for $13,975, and a Holland & Holland .375 SxS for $54,950 (not a typo). I was looking because for a long time, they had a Gary L. Henry Hawken listed for about $3,500, but it must have sold. It was nicely made, with a Robbins lock and Bauska barrel, and a maple stock with exceptional figure, but no patch box, checkering, or engraving.

So, I don’t know if the folks at River Junction fixed a typo, responded to customer feedback, or just changed their minds on the Parker Hawken, but if I’m remembering the original asking price correctly, the new price would represent about a 30% drop. I hope this rifle finds a good home!

Notchy Bob

Jake ran a gun shop in Ohio before mioving to Saint Louis. So I would expect he was an old hand at Ohio style guns. Dad was an SMR gun maker in Kentucky and the Jacob flintlock looks like a typical SMR.
I would bet half the originals I’ve seen in the flesh were small bore brass mounted Ohio pattern guns.
I see the famous plains gun as a big bore Ohio patterned after an SMR… is that confusing?

@tenngun, it was Sam Hawken who established a shop in Xenia, Ohio and the Xenia, Ohio Hawken rifle is signed Sam Hawken

Jake and two other Hawken brothers did work at Harper's Ferry. Below is a link to a brief history of the Hawken brothers and their gun building careers.

https://www.nramuseum.org/guns/the-...-plains-rifle/samuel-hawken-plains-rifle.aspx
I was thinking Jake opened the shop in Ohio and Sam can to work with him there. Jake’s first shop being in Maryland,
Howsomever I’m depending on my oldtimers brain to recall as I’m not a Hawken guy
Certainly one can see a relationship between 1803 rifle and Ohio guns and later plains guns

Here are some old pics of a Hawken rifle produced in the MD shop I believe by Christian Hawken. A friend of mine owned it.

C Hawken left buttstock.jpg
C Hawken rifle.jpg
C Hawken right side.jpg

I own 4 muzzleloader rifles, and they are what I like to call, Hawkins design. Whoever figured that out in about 1815 was a smart cookie and I like the idea of a quick remove barrel with one pin holding it on, and I certainly see nothing illegal or immoral about copying a good design, whether it's a knife or a gun or a pair of trousers. None of mine are original that doesn't impress me or make it look like I should have one, I have a nice pump unmentionable, it's the best darn deer getter you ever seen, that I'm sure is just an impression on an early design and that doesn't bother me either. It takes a while, to figure out that there are some things that are more important in life, especially when age comes along.
Squint

Latest posts

Back