• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Should I Buy This?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Track of the Wolf has a 10 day "acceptance" period, so if you don't like the rifle, it only costs you return shipping. I've bought several rifles from them, and returned one. It was just too pretty for me to think about carrying it in the woods. Probably silly, but ended up with a different gun a few months later.

@Smokey Plainsman,

Putting on my Gemmer Gun Club hat.

The rifle has a great list of parts. I do not know George Nelson. The Goodoien barrel is known for its excellence. The Hawken Shop lock is good. The price is less than the price of a rifle built by Browner or Brennen and it is available now. If it fits your needs, I would buy it. It is more of a Sam Hawken late rifle than the J&S rifles. It does appear to be an authentic replica.

Get it and make arrangements to bring it by the Gemmer Range for a look see.

Last edited:
Briefly, yes... you should buy it.

It is (barely) within your $3,000 budget. It looks like a properly designed Hawken, with all the right lines. Nelson is a reputable builder. The parts are of best quality, and the Goodoien barrel is a real plus. The late Don Stith offered Goodoien barrels with his Hawken and Dimick parts sets as an extra-cost option.

Some of the features are subtle. The barrel is tapered, for example, as almost all original Hawkens were. The barrel channel is evidently bedded, which will reinforce the forend but also ensure repeatable seating of the barrel when it is removed after cleaning. I don't know what they mean by the "swept" hammer, but they add that the Hawken Shop locks are copied from originals, so it is authentic.

Oddly, I don't see any mention of number or configuration of the grooves or the rifling pitch (rate of twist). Funny that they would overlook that. However, they make it clear that this is a barrel intended to shoot patched round balls, and I have no doubt Mr. Goodoien chose the appropriate twist and groove depth.

Does the rifle fit you? I am short, and the industry-standard 14" LOP is just a little too long to be comfortable. However if you are over 5'8" or so, it should be good.

Track of the Wolf is an established and reputable dealer, with a solid return policy. If you get the gun and regret the purchase, you can return it.

This rifle is not a "steal." It's expensive, and it is new and unfired. If you want to resell it at a later date, it might be hard to recover your full investment. However, you're not buying it to resell, you're buying it to shoot. It has everything you want and it is within your budget. To paraphrase the old mountain man, "Ho, Smokey, thar's the rifle and thar's the mountains. Shoot sharp's the word."

Notchy Bob

Briefly, yes... you should buy it.

It is (barely) within your $3,000 budget. It looks like a properly designed Hawken, with all the right lines. Nelson is a reputable builder. The parts are of best quality, and the Goodoien barrel is a real plus. The late Don Stith offered Goodoien barrels with his Hawken and Dimick parts sets as an extra-cost option.

Some of the features are subtle. The barrel is tapered, for example, as almost all original Hawkens were. The barrel channel is evidently bedded, which will reinforce the forend but also ensure repeatable seating of the barrel when it is removed after cleaning. I don't know what they mean by the "swept" hammer, but they add that the Hawken Shop locks are copied from originals, so it is authentic.

Oddly, I don't see any mention of number or configuration of the grooves or the rifling pitch (rate of twist). Funny that they would overlook that. However, they make it clear that this is a barrel intended to shoot patched round balls, and I have no doubt Mr. Goodoien chose the appropriate twist and groove depth.

Does the rifle fit you? I am short, and the industry-standard 14" LOP is just a little too long to be comfortable. However if you are over 5'8" or so, it should be good.

Track of the Wolf is an established and reputable dealer, with a solid return policy. If you get the gun and regret the purchase, you can return it.

This rifle is not a "steal." It's expensive, and it is new and unfired. If you want to resell it at a later date, it might be hard to recover your full investment. However, you're not buying it to resell, you're buying it to shoot. It has everything you want and it is within your budget. To paraphrase the old mountain man, "Ho, Smokey, thar's the rifle and thar's the mountains. Shoot sharp's the word."

Notchy Bob

Thank you! The 14” length of pull is the only thing holding me back. I am 5’ 7” and have found over the years a 13 1/2” pull works best for me generally.

I am 5’ 7” and have found over the years a 13 1/2” pull works best for me generally.
I am taller than you but still find a 13-1/2” pull about right as it just seems to fit. A little shorter pull still feels ok, but extra length, not so much. The the bane of a ‘custom’ gun that’s was not made for you is that it wasn't ‘custom’ made for you…. If it were me, unless I wanted to consider giving the stock a haircut, it’s a pass.

+1 for saving your money, at first glance it is a nice looking rifle and made with excellent parts. However to my eye and I’m my opinion there are some problems with the stock architecture from the lock plate panels to the butt plate. That whole end of the rifle doesn’t do it for me. If I were spending 3k on a Hawken which I have and will it has to be correct. I think of you want what you call a “real” hawken I would pass. Again it’s a nice looking gun but 3k I don’t know that’s up to you. If it were my money I’d keep looking. Again this is just my opinion, so take it for what it is….not much!

Hope you find a good one soon!

I will say if you have $$ and see a ML you like BUY IT. Then unless i'ts just "The One" you will sell it later anyway. Always buy a gun when you can. Resale at a slight loss is really your only risk....right? Might resale at a profit?? Ya, order it now.

+1 for saving your money, at first glance it is a nice looking rifle and made with excellent parts. However to my eye and I’m my opinion there are some problems with the stock architecture from the lock plate panels to the butt plate. That whole end of the rifle doesn’t do it for me. If I were spending 3k on a Hawken which I have and will it has to be correct. I think of you want what you call a “real” hawken I would pass. Again it’s a nice looking gun but 3k I don’t know that’s up to you. If it were my money I’d keep looking. Again this is just my opinion, so take it for what it is….not much!

Hope you find a good one soon!

I kind of see what you mean and thought sort of the same but wasn’t sure if I was seeing things. It still looks beautiful in its own right though but I am looking for as close to an original as I can.

Got it, gang. If the length of pull was a half inch shorter I would have already bought it by now lol!

But while I don’t know much, I do know that fit is very important.

I’m going to pass on it. If a taller guy out there wants one boy it sure is pretty!

It’s a beautiful rifle, you can’t take the money with you in the end, but if you have doubts about the fit I’d reconsider things. Maybe talk to Track about your concern on the length of pull and insure you have a trial period guaranteed.

The fact that you even had to ask this question tells me the answer is NO!

Back