• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

gun oil v. olive oil

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was wondering if olive oil would give the barrel the protection it needs?

No.............

It will gum up. It will not protect against rust either. In a breech loader it will foul the mechanism into a non functional state. When cleaning one, I usually envisioned some sheppard using his olive old to cook, his hair, his rifle, whatever. Then the rifle is so gunked up it won't even fire. So he takes it the the gunsmith for cleaning. As a patch lube, I have not issue. heck, spit works too, a pretty low bar.

Olive oil is fine for salads and cooking, not guns. Forget olive oil.

G96 is a fabulous rust preventative/gun oil.

I actually tried olive oil mixed with bees wax as protectant repeatedly for a couple months during squirrel season.....it worked just fine...the only complaint I would have it that it is labor intensive to apply.....but it protected the barrel inside and out for me.
I've never had olive oil get gummy.....but I do use the ultra refined stuff for guns....some really cheap olive oils are nothing but soybean oil with a little EVO for color...soybean oil gets gummy in short order.

G96 has been one of my favorites for a VERY long time. :hatsoff: I've used it on every firearm I own, including very high-end Trap guns and NEVER had an issue with it's performance on metal or the wood it got onto along the way over years of weekly use.

I read this many years ago how Gun barrel were keep from rusting. I have been doing this for years with my Guns. I find it works very well. Heat Gun barrel; You can do this by laying Gun barrel on the dashboard of your car on a hot day. Then hang the barrel up by the Tang Screw hole. Now take beeswax and with long strokes slide wax down barrel. just one coat, allow to cool.

Or you can hanging barrel and using a blow torch to heat barrel.

This is not for the inside of barrel. I would not use Olive oil on any part of my gun. Olive Oil will get gummy.

Woods Dweller said:
I read this many years ago how Gun barrel were keep from rusting. I have been doing this for years with my Guns. I find it works very well. Heat Gun barrel; You can do this by laying Gun barrel on the dashboard of your car on a hot day. Then hang the barrel up by the Tang Screw hole. Now take beeswax and with long strokes slide wax down barrel. just one coat, allow to cool.

Or you can hanging barrel and using a blow torch to heat barrel.

This is not for the inside of barrel. I would not use Olive oil on any part of my gun. Olive Oil will get gummy.

1. Gun oil stops guns from squeaking.

2. Olive oil stops olives from squeaking.

3. Apply appropriately.

tac

Olive oil is great for cooking but not for guns; and yes, it can turn thick as anyone who has left a bottle of it in the fridge can testify. Cheap olive oil isn't "soybean oil"; it's just cheap olive oil from second or third pressings. But it has no place in the protection of guns for any significant length of time.

The problem with olive oil is that it is so good.No matter how you store your gun it will migrate to the lowest spot, leaving the rest of the gun unprotected. In days past guns wewe made of wrought iron and the barreled had to be seasoned just like a pot. The olive oil had a lot of places to migrate to in the pores of the metal. We dont season bores any more, and all the praise I can sing for popeyes girlfriend just wont help a modren ml. Oil just leves a film on the metal that comes between it and o2 in the air. Mostly hitching a ride on water molocules. Pure water wont rust anything, its the desolved o2 in the water that does it. Barricade klings and works. A solid animal fat works also, like mink oil or lard. Using oo would require a thickener to make it stick. Bees wax or a lard would do it. However you got the extra work of making something tht wont work any better.

I use olive oil on my knives and skillets. Not on my guns yet. But I also use Sunflower oil as well, a little lighter and has less smell.

Cheers.

Back in 2009 I did a rust test using several types of lubricant, and posted the results on the forum.

I used finish nails driven into a 1x4 and cleaned with alcohol.Products used were WD40,Hoppe's gun oil,ATF,TC Bore Butter and Olive Oil.

I left them outside during the rainy season in Oregon.Week one, the WD40 was showing lots of rust. Hoppe's was nearly as bad. ATF was doing pretty good with some freckling. Bore Butter as well. The Olive oil nails were still free from rust.

After week two, the clear and I do mean clear(No rust)winner was the olive oil.

The ATF was second best with rust flakes. All the others were pretty darn rusty. I know this wasn't scientific, but it made a believer in using olive oil out of me.

Glad your happy with the olive oil but as I've mentioned, a coating of it doesn't do a very good job of protecting my cooking wok.

I think I'll just continue to stick with Birchwood Casey Barricade. (In my guns, not in the wok. :grin: )

Yes, I know. You folks in California can't get Barricade but look on the bright side.
Your Government and tax dollars are protecting you. :grin:

I use a lot of WD-40 and buy it in gallon cans. Still, I never use it in gun bores for any kind of long term storage. For a few days or weeks it does a fairly good job; but for months-long storage it's Barricade, Breakfree CLP or (rarely) a good gun oil.

WHILE I HAVE HAD GREAT SUCCESS IN HUMID ST. LOUIS WITH WD 40 I WILL AGREE THAT IF YOU INTEND TO EXPOSE YOUR RIFLE TO OUTDOOR RAINY WEATHER FOR A PERIOD OF TIME WD 40 IS PROBABLY NOT THE BEST IDEA.

SHOULD I DECIDE TO PUT MY RIFLE BARRELS OUT THERE IN THE ELEMENTS, I WILL COAT THEM WITH OLIVE OIL AS SUGGESTED.

DUTCH.

I don't like to take my BP guns out in the rain as much for my discomfort when wet as for the gun's protection. Yes, I have taken them out in the wet a few times but haven't done that in a long, long time.

Back