• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Barrel Condition

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jefftbolt

32 Cal
Reaction score
I've had a Pedersoli Kentucky flintlock .45 for about two years with 448 shots fired. I thought I was being anal about cleaning same day as shooting and I've use Ballistol, Dawn, hot water, brass brushes, etc. Recently I purchased a bore scope and was a bit shocked by what I saw. Today I used Kroil to remove two small rust spots near the breech, then brass brush, then ballistol, then hot water, then J&B bore cleaning compound, then hot water again and then clean it again with ballistol. The J&B really takes out the lead that I found in the 6" ending at the muzzle. The rust is gone although the pits will always be there. She's always shot very nicely even before this intense cleaning.

Since I'm likely going to sell this (got a TVM Southern .45 as replacement), I'm curious about your thoughts on the condition as I want to correctly describe its condition. The five pics start at the breech and end near muzzle. A gunsmith said condition is mainly normal wear and tear.

Thanks in advance.

1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG

Attachments

• 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 0
You mentioned leading! Just going to suggest that if you have been shooting conical, you will have leading. A brass brush won't remove it. Looks like you had lead deposits with fouling trapped underneath and of course corrosion ensued beneath.

I wouldn't call it normal. If we'll maintained an ml barrel should improve.

Longcruise - I only shoot round lead balls in my muzzleloaders. This picture is from before the latest cleaning and I'm assuming the lighter colored areas are lead deposits which were found only near the muzzle while the two rust spots were near the breech without any nearby lighter areas. Jefftbolt
IMG_0089.JPG

Can you feel any roughness when you run a tightly patched ball down the bore?
These borescope thingys are about the worst thing a guy can buy.....
Yes. Run one down a new never fired bore and you'll be very surprised. I wonder what the average lightly used bore in the 18th century looked like ?

Back