• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Barrel Condition

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Might help to stay away from soaps , clean with warm water , wipe as dry as you can get the bore , then stand the gun muzzle down after cleaning causing any residue to go foreward from the breach overnight , wipe once more the next AM. Oil the bore and done.

Because it destroys accuracy. Go to your local range and talk to the bullseye shooters.
My target rifles that shoot jacketed bullets will usually go 600-800 rounds before they loose accuracy and need cleaned.
Schuetzen rifles shooting lead bullets and smokeless are the same.
A most interesting theory. I wonder why it never took off?

Weren't you paying attention? All modern stuff, most all disciplines involving lead and/or copper jacketed bullets.
I was. I am just unfamiliar with the 'All Modern Stuff'' discipline. Last time anyone used .38 spl lead in even semi-serious competition was right after Police in the US switched to semi-auto. Then it was mousefart-loaded full wadcutters at 10'.
Only thing lively in .38spl for a long time's been trickshooting.

I was. I am just unfamiliar with the 'All Modern Stuff'' discipline. Last time anyone used .38 spl lead in even semi-serious competition was right after Police in the US switched to semi-auto. Then it was mousefart-loaded full wadcutters at 10'.
Only thing lively in .38spl for a long time's been trickshooting.
Bullseye is shot with 3 different guns from 25 yards to 100 yards. All of it is shot with soft lead. .22, .38sp. And 45acp. Used to be all revolver with open sights. Now semi auto and scopes are legal. Mainly because everyone who does it is old.
Bullseye competition is old. Pre ww2 and still has a following today.

Bullseye is shot with 3 different guns from 25 yards to 100 yards. All of it is shot with soft lead. .22, .38sp. And 45acp. Used to be all revolver with open sights. Now semi auto and scopes are legal. Mainly because everyone who does it is old.
Bullseye competition is old. Pre ww2 and still has a following today.
And they don't clean their guns? Is this what I am to understand?

A most interesting theory. I wonder why it never took off?
I have never heard this before and I shot a lot ? I cleaned after every outing. I would fire a fouling shot before a match. The number one thing that I found about rifles that came to my shop that would no longer group well was improper cleaning. A clean rifle and the correct ammo make a huge difference in a winner and an also ran.

I have never heard this before and I shot a lot ? I cleaned after every outing. I would fire a fouling shot before a match. The number one thing that I found about rifles that came to my shop that would no longer group well was improper cleaning. A clean rifle and the correct ammo make a huge difference in a winner and an also ran.
They said the same thing about the the M16 during Vietnam. Guess it works out better against paper.
I have always believed that the cornerstone of accuracy is consistency. Consistency in EVERYTHING. From the same cheek-weld to to ambient temperature. EVERYTHING has to be exactly the same as the shot before or the shot after.
A common misconception is that modern primers and powders are non-corrosive. They are much, much less corrosive, but they are not non-corrosive.

They said the same thing about the the M16 during Vietnam. Guess it works out better against paper.
I have always believed that the cornerstone of accuracy is consistency. Consistency in EVERYTHING. From the same cheek-weld to to ambient temperature. EVERYTHING has to be exactly the same as the shot before or the shot after.
A common misconception is that modern primers and powders are non-corrosive. They are much, much less corrosive, but they are not non-corrosive.
No two things are exact. You get as close as you can. I was in the transition period when the 14 was canned for the 16. We felt it was a step back not forward. If we could have got the idiot that made the change we would have shoved that thing up his %$#@! Sorry I couldn't resist!

Yea, but steel on steel will also scratch the manure out of your barrel. It would be better to use some bronze wool that's softer than the barrel, but harder than lead.
True along with rounding off land corners. I found and use a product called Gunzilla on a very tight cloth patch that removes lead from a barrel better than any thing else I've ever tried. The patch will squeal like a neutered pig when passed though the barrel on a tight patch as it snags and removes the lead stuck to the bore.
The other thing I like about Gunzilla is that it is all vegetable with no petroleum in it to make carbon fouling in a bore.

@M. De Land I'm open minded and willing to try new things. Gunzilla is on my list.

My main points in this topic has been 1. Shooting lead bullets will lead your barrel. 2. It's absolutely imperative that it be removed due to the potential for serious corrosion under the lead.

Main problem being that most shooters, me included, don't have a way to inspect for it so assume it's there and get it out!

Used to be an expensive Hawkeye borescope was the only option. Now Amazon sells one for a buck and a quarter. The Lyman one is a little more but within Reach for a working man. I find one is critical kit when buying used guns, and cleaning match rifles back to a like new bore.

@M. De Land I'm open minded and willing to try new things. Gunzilla is on my list.

My main points in this topic has been 1. Shooting lead bullets will lead your barrel. 2. It's absolutely imperative that it be removed due to the potential for serious corrosion under the lead.

Main problem being that most shooters, me included, don't have a way to inspect for it so assume it's there and get it out!
I use lead bullets almost exclusively for cartridge gong rifle and revolver shooting and of course muzzle loaders, I also have a Hawkeye bore scope and nothing, not even a bronze brush, or Lewis lead remover, will take lead from a bore like Gunzilla on a tight patch.
It also leaves a film in the bore to protect it from corrosion and help stop lead from adhering.
I was given a small bottle of Gunzilla by my son-in-law but thought it was just a gimmick and I hated the name and wouldn't even try it for about a year and half, then curiosity got to me and my eyes were opened.
I have since purchased two 16 oz bottles and keep a small bottle in my shooting box.
Although it has replaced my Hoppe's #9 solvent for real lead removal I still keep the Hoppe's around for the smell of it!
I always figured any good looking gal that would wear a touch of Hopp's #9 behind each ear could snag any real shooter that lives ! 😄

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back