• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Grits

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Heck this morning as I was getting dressed, some weird cooking show was on the boobtube. They were making Shrimp and Grits.

When I was a tyke, my dad kept a jar of pickled tripe in the car to have an occasional tid bit from. Nothin like chewy vinegar flavored cow guts to help ya lose weight.

My god mother is in Ft. Worth, in fact I was just there a few weeks ago munching down on chicken fried steak. :grin:
Chili? Cubed beef, Ground up or pureed chili pepper (I like ancho), a little cumin, Mexican oregano, and NOTHING else. :thumbsup:

And for the REAL ARTICLE, "Texas Red", nothing but hand-chopped into cubes beef, with ZERO hamburger or "chili-ground" beef either.

TRADITIONAL Texas Red has EIGHT ingredients: beef, onions, salt, black pepper, red pepper, cumin, oregano & nothing else but water.
AND
It's simmered for a LONG, LONG time.
(Our Central Plaza Chili Queens of the 1820-45 period simmered it for 24 hours, according to THE BEXAR LIBERTY-MESSENGER in 1849, a bi-weekly.)

Pinto beans, sliced onions & corn tortillas were often served with chili in "the olden days". Hot coffee and/or "adult beverage" completed the meal.
(It was a reasonably healthy, tasty, filling and most of all CHEAP meal that would "stick to your ribs" for hungry "man alone".)

yours, satx

tenngun said:
Started with grits verd off to mush now its chili.
We do have some new people here who's minds seem to wander. Look at the warnings in other threads. Same guy every time. :confused:

First response to the post in this thread went to hoe cakes.Looks like it just grew organicly.The chili post by loyest dave was the first post that stepped away from corn meal of some sort. But chili and some sort of corn meal mix go together like powder and ball.
Or motes and beams

Okay all you anti-grits folks, I gotta tell y'all something....I love grits. I love grits and eggs. I love shrimp and grits. I love fried grits. Hell, I even love grits with sugar and milk on them. I don't care what you damn Yankees say, grits are good and good for you. The best grits I ever ate came from a small mill in Georgia just outside of Atlanta. Those grits were better than ice cream. Don't like grits.....Hrumph.....bunch of damn Yankee drummer boys. :blah: And Rifleman, I never took you for a Carpet Bagger.....I am shocked, :shocked2: shocked, I tell you. But, you're a good guy so I guess I'll get over it. But please work on learning how to fit in to the southern culture by developing a taste for our national dish. With a serious effort you can do it, I know you can. :haha: Can I hear an Amen?

Billnpatti said:
Okay all you anti-grits folks, I gotta tell y'all something....I love grits. I love grits and eggs. I love shrimp and grits. I love fried grits. Hell, I even love grits with sugar and milk on them. I don't care what you damn Yankees say, grits are good and good for you. The best grits I ever ate came from a small mill in Georgia just outside of Atlanta. Those grits were better than ice cream. Don't like grits.....Hrumph.....bunch of damn Yankee drummer boys. :blah: And Rifleman, I never took you for a Carpet Bagger.....I am shocked, :shocked2: shocked, I tell you. But, you're a good guy so I guess I'll get over it. But please work on learning how to fit in to the southern culture by developing a taste for our national dish. With a serious effort you can do it, I know you can. :haha: Can I hear an Amen?
:thumbsup: AMEN! And I'm from up north!

Thank you for that amen. You are obviously a man of refined taste.

I know Rifleman is, too, he just has this one flaw in his otherwise fine character. But give him time, he is a work in progress. :wink:

I thought the southern National dish was Koolaid pickles, or was it fried pickles?

I was born in the south, but the family moved to Oregon when I was a baby. As a result, I grew up eating all kinds of southern foods that my friends had never heard of. Grits, hush puppies, black eyed peas, collard greens, cornbread, fried okra, and other such foods were common at home, but unheard of by those who were born here.

Grits are my favorite breakfast food. Mix in some bacon or sausage, some butter, salt and pepper and you have heaven in a bowl.

AMEN!

My favorite is fried grits covered in fried country ham strips and/or bacon with 2 over-easy eggs piled on top, with a bowl of cream gravy & cathead biscuits.
(For "outlanders", you cut into the eggs, so that the yolks drip down into the goodies below.)

yours, satx

Well I got a big new bag of Grits, a nub end of an elk roast, a chunk of 5 year old Wisconsin Cheddar, and eggs.

Y'all forced this breakfast on me at post point! :haha:

After I'll HAVE TO go hunting to work it off (again forced to it).

:surrender: ok ok I'll have cheesey Grits with elk & eggs, and then go hunting. Stop twistin my arm! :grin:

EGAD! As this was failed to be mentioned...,

Prepare your grits. "Original grits" is the "fast" version of hominy, so don't use "quick" nor "instant" grits.

Then fry up a ham steak until browned on both sides. Remove from the pan and add about cup of strong black coffee to make redeye gravy. Stir the pan to scrape up the bits left behind by the ham steak. Place your finished grits next to your ham steak on a plate, and then pour some of gravy on the grits, and if you wish on the ham as well.

Now some folks add a little bit of flour to the gravy, and that's how I was first taught this, as it thickens it..., but others object that redeye becomes sawmill gravy when thickener is added.

LD

Zimmerstutzen, you, sir, are mistaken. Those items are eaten in the south but are most assuredly not The National Dish of The South. It's a forgivable mistake that could easily be made by any non-southerner.

Messers Bilder, satx78247, Sean Gadhar and Loyalist Dave, you gents are obviously Southern Gentlemen regardless of where you are living. Your refined southern taste shows in your appreciation of grits. Were it within my power to do so, I would award each of you the honorary title of Colonel. Should you wish to be awarded such title, contact the State of Kentucky and request to be awarded the honorary title of Kentucky Colonel. Each of you have shown the refinement and good taste to be worthy of such title. I have had such honor conferred upon me. :hatsoff:

Your Humble Servant,
"Colonel" Bill

small mill

I think you meant 'SAW' mill and ye wuz eatin' the sawdust. Really, ye can't tell the difference.
BTW, as for accepting the culture.....
I served in the State Legislature in 1836 when Arkansas territory became a State and later voted to join the Confederacy to fight against the northern insurgence. Yes, I did, for a fact. And, it is on film, I can prove it. :wink:

Rifleman1776 said:
BTW, as for accepting the culture.....
I served in the State Legislature in 1836 when Arkansas territory became a State and later voted to join the Confederacy to fight against the northern insurgence. Yes, I did, for a fact. And, it is on film, I can prove it. :wink:

"as for accepting the culture" I Night hunted, night fished, gigged, drug the bed out ta the porch so as I could sleep, Helped "get hold of" Ken's dads home made wine during a neighborhood party based around Smoked mullet, helped get a truck so stuck in the mud, folks "came ta see",
Learned all cops are Sir! And Ladies are ALL Ma'am. Learned it's ok to shoot a cotton mouth where ever you are. And Grits!!!

I accepted all that at 15 years old in the first two months of the year I lived in Florida. :grin: It was a good year

Rifleman1776 said:
Florida? :shocked2:
Florida ain't the 'south'. It may be way down there, but it ain't the 'south'. :wink:

Good luck getting invited to a Florida Hog hut, Oh and there's a long list of guys you may not want to get in a boat with.. :nono:

I'd ah soon said they were quiche eaters as "ain't the South"

I'm from Colorado so Anything South of our southern border & east of me is The South or Texas. :idunno:

Rifleman1776 said:
Florida? :shocked2:
Florida ain't the 'south'. It may be way down there, but it ain't the 'south'. :wink:
Pffft...Coming from a non grit eater. :shake:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back