• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Grits

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oops! My bad. You are absolutely right. Thanks for the correction. :hatsoff:

Can't say I am. Biscuits n (sausage) gravy is my happy place.

But I can't eat grits, punishment for wayward children in work houses of the 18th and 19th centuries, any more than I can watch NASCAR, wear a baseball cap but not wear an undershirt and anit-perspirant/deoderant under a dress shirt, or sniff model glue. No Sir.

Grits has its place -- being poured down a hole into a cavern filled with permanently sealed-in "three-strikes-you're-out" violent felons.

Oh, Alden (my eyes wide with surprise and my hands thrown in the air) You are hopeless......hopeless, I tell you! I fear that you have gone beyond redemption. You poor soul. My heart goes out to you. I'm not going to mention corn bread or buttermilk because if you told me that you didn't like corn bread or buttermilk, my heart couldn't take it. Thank God, at least you like biscuits and gravy. Oh, and muzzleloaders, too. I can tell that with the exception of the grits problem, you are a great guy. Hmmmmm :hmm: I wonder if there is a grits rehabilitation center somewhere in Georgia that could help you because I really think you are worth saving. :hatsoff: :haha:

But anointing violent felons with one of God's gustatorial gifts to mankind? Naw, I can't go along with that. That same hole in the cavern full of violent felons would be an excellent way of disposing of lutefisk, though.

Billnpatti said:
Oh, Alden (my eyes wide with surprise and my hands thrown in the air) You are hopeless......hopeless, I tell you! I fear that you have gone beyond redemption. You poor soul. My heart goes out to you. I'm not going to mention corn bread or buttermilk because if you told me that you didn't like corn bread or buttermilk, my heart couldn't take it. Thank God, at least you like biscuits and gravy. Oh, and muzzleloaders, too. I can tell that with the exception of the grits problem, you are a great guy. Hmmmmm :hmm: I wonder if there is a grits rehabilitation center somewhere in Georgia that could help you because I really think you are worth saving. :hatsoff: :haha:

But anointing violent felons with one of God's gustatorial gifts to mankind? Naw, I can't go along with that. That same hole in the cavern full of violent felons would be an excellent way of disposing of lutefisk, though.

Your concern and compassion are infused with grace and taste, and appreciated. And in those regards I liken you to a big pan of cornbread Sir.

Buttermilk, the oft-idealized effluence of the base at the churn, I grew out of when I was a lad though my predecessors obviously did not or I'd know little of it and nothing of its shame. I'm not sure actually if one of my grandmothers chawed and had a spitoon too but it is not out of the realm of possibility -- she was a pre-electrification impish Army-brat.

Yet grits has none of the former and all of the latter.

Had it any actual describable taste the despicable paste only holds the promise that good men would probably despise it all the more. Its general lack of flavor may be its only, and is inarguably its finest, quality. Those conditioned to it wouldn't find it necessary to add any, every, condiment and complement to it were this not the truth.

As for the desparate, defensive, heathens desensitized to the drivel, they know not what they do. Nor what the rest of us understand.

Grits is to food what Rap is to music.

Well now Son, in Florida they may well be. But I don't think you all want to go through that, again. Heck, you may not survive an actual "stand your ground law" battle!

Alden said:
Well now Son, in Florida they may well be. But I don't think you all want to go through that, again. Heck, you may not survive an actual "stand your ground law" battle!
Pretty sure I would be the one "standing my ground"
The lack of good food has made you a little :youcrazy: :haha:

OMG Alden now you have to go and get mean....rap music indeed. I am sorry that you live in such a deep tasteless hole. I weep for you my friend.:)

Can you believe it? I make some goofy 'grits' remark and 129 posts later....! Geeze Louise, this thing has taken on a life of it's own!

On a lighter note...wonder where Alden stands of Cream-Of-Wheat!!?? :rotf:

Well...

I admit I liked Cream of Wheat made with milk as a kid, but it was infrequent and as an adult I don't remember having it.

Farina (sp?) I hated and would not eat.

Oatmeal? Do all kinds still, as well as other grains cereals. Doing blueberry oats and flaxseed as well as triple berry oats, wheat, barley, rye, chia, and flaxseed hot cereals this past week.

Grits? No, I had two parents, and they loved me.

I also have long term storage 6-Grain (Barley Flakes, White Wheat Flakes, Red Wheat Flakes, Rye Flakes, Rolled Oats, and Triticale seeds) Cereal in the larder.

Again, no grits! Humans, around these parts anyway, evolved beyond competing with their farm animals for feed and friendship...

Alden said:
Again, no grits! Humans around these parts evolved beyond their farm animals for transportation, feed, and "friendship"...
About the same way I look at oat meal, just can't go the texture. Suppose it's a 'to each, his own' sort of thing...maybe where you're raised! :wink:

YEP. 129 posts and no end in sight. = The comments of a certain DY indicate why most Southrons believe in "the natural inferiority" and "lack of taste" common among "those folks up there".
(CHUCKLE)

To quote the narrator of "PRIDE AND JOY", a PBS hour-long documentary that's being shown several times this week on TV, "Nobody, with excellent reason, advertises that they serve 'home-style NORTHERN cooking'." - When I head that, I had to LOL.

Btw, the THREE MAJOR FOOD GROUPS in Dixie are FRIED, HOT PEPPER & COLD BEER.

yours, satx

satx78247 said:
YEP. 129 posts and no end in sight. = The comments of a certain DY indicate why most Southrons believe in "the natural inferiority" and "lack of taste" common among "those folks up there".
(CHUCKLE)

To quote the narrator of "PRIDE AND JOY", a PBS hour-long documentary that's being shown several times this week on TV, "Nobody, with excellent reason, advertises that they serve 'home-style NORTHERN cooking'." - When I head that, I had to LOL.

Btw, the THREE MAJOR FOOD GROUPS in Dixie are FRIED, HOT PEPPER & COLD BEER.

yours, satx
Hard headed people too, I married one of (ahem) Them, Thirty years later and she still wont eat grits. Some people just aint right!!

Well, to be fair, y'all don't really "eat" grits. It ends up in your mouth and you kinda just... swallow.

It had many native names. In Seminole I think it is "phlegm." In Mohican, last I heard, it was called "mucous." To the Sioux, "luggie." I know, some Soutern kids think it's candy, but it's'not.

How VERY well that I understand that!
(2+ decades ago I was hitched for a spell to a FULLBLOOD German gal out of North Wales, PA.)

She was beautiful, well-educated and a great cook (Her German/Mennonite food was to die over. = Still miss her Kaiserbraten and fried apple pies.) but a constant case of, "don't confuse me with facts, as my mind is made up". =====> The word "compromise" wasn't even in her dictionary.
(Like most "mixed marriages", a union between a DY & a "rebel to the core" Texican doesn't work out too well.)

yours, satx

Alden said:
Well, to be fair, y'all don't really "eat" grits. It ends up in your mouth and you kinda just... swallow.

It had many native names. In Seminole I think it is "phlegm." In Mohican, last I heard, it was called "mucous." To the Sioux, "luggie." I know, some Soutern kids think it's candy, but it's'not.
:rotf: Damn yankee....both my folks shared your disablity :haha:

Boiled cabbage is a food, penuche is given to "Good" kids :shocked2: , Spice means salt &pepper. Yea the NE has it all over the rest of us heathens.

:surrender: You win, guess I'll suffer through my cheesy grits & elk medallions.
Tonight it's fish tacos (ground corn again :shocked2: )and out here when we say pepper we mean jalapeño!

Thank goodness for the food of the Northeast, it was surly the driving factor in westward expansion.
Would you rather face the hardships of unknown woods filled with man eating bear, and "wild" Indians. Armed with only your rifle, knife, and hawk. With a pouch of parch corn and a hope for game.

Or face a traditional New England boiled suppa :barf: armed with only salt & black pepper!

No wonder the Men with cutten teeth went west! :stir:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back