• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Greetings from Middle Earth, Oceania.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What Ho Chaps and Chappesses….
Middle Earth, Oceania. Otherwise known as New Zealand, hiding in the South Pacific and I am here because I used Aunty Google to search for “Black Powder loads for Muzzle Loaders.” Aunty sniffed, said “ too easy,” produced a link to your splendid site, then wandered off to console a paranoid relative, Marvin, who was prone to make similar remarks, such as, “"Here I am, brain the size of a planet, and they tell me to take you up to the bridge. Call that job satisfaction? 'Cos I don't."…….Phew.

My interest in Black Powder was first aroused in wanting to reload and fire BP in a 1903 303 Magazine Lee Enfield.....which was how they started life before moving on to nitro. At that time I was active in "re-enacting" and it was but a small wander, backwards in the time continuum to more casting and reloading black powder delights for an Enfield Pattern 1853 followed by a Martini Henry and then finally, a Snider.
Sobering reality kicked in before flintlocks.........One can only cope with so much time travel, 'tho Dr. Who seems to have managed quite well. Probably has a good agent /manager.

On the non military side, first was an I Hollis & Son’s side by side black powder 12 bore cartridge gun. Of course there was nothing for her to chew on so it was another learning curve which branched off last year when I came into possession of not one but two “front stuffers” as some of the locals here refer to them, A 180 year old, English, Joseph Williams 10 bore, sbs, twisted steel barrels, muzzle loader which came bundled with a 20 th century Pedersoli replica.
The previous owner, had used the Pedersoli but never fired the Williams, which is the exact opposite of my intentions as it seemed too sad to leave her, unused in the gun locker, so after several bore scoping inspections and cleaning exercises she had the opportunity of going Boom this week with 1 oz of #4 and a matching scoop size of 2FFG. Such fun, such fun.

Starting, safety wise, with small loads, the patterning was very good, to my surprise so here I am, warts and all hoping to glean knowledge on some more Tailored “ loads as I have read that the muzzle loaders prefer heavier loads.

End of long boring aside….

Attachments

• V20.jpg
    V20.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 36
  • V18.jpg
    V18.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 32
Welcome Aboard Colonel from Middle England - An Island a lot further West and Long way North of you.. That Williams looks a nice SxS.Looking up Williams I found Bemjamin Williams in Birmingham,1767to1818,your Jos. may have been a son. Then there was Williams and Powell in Liverpool,1834. What are the proof marks. Crown over CP. is London.. Crown over Crossed Maces for B'ham,wih date letters (or may be just Crossed Maces with date letters).There was a much earlier John Williams back between1714-20 listed in London..Send a photo of the mark if you can..Are you N or S. There is OLD FRIEND,RUDYARD in Nelson.. OLD DOG..

Welcome Aboard Colonel from Middle England - An Island a lot further West and Long way North of you.. That Williams looks a nice SxS.Looking up Williams I found Bemjamin Williams in Birmingham,1767to1818,your Jos. may have been a son. Then there was Williams and Powell in Liverpool,1834. What are the proof marks. Crown over CP. is London.. Crown over Crossed Maces for B'ham,wih date letters (or may be just Crossed Maces with date letters).There was a much earlier John Williams back between1714-20 listed in London..Send a photo of the mark if you can..Are you N or S. There is OLD FRIEND,RUDYARD in Nelson.. OLD DOG..

What Ho,
She is rather bereft as regards stampings but I attach a file which will enlarge quite well to show the only 4 stamps to be seen, two on each barrel. I think "this" is my J Williams. obtained from Internet Gun Club

"JOSEPH WILLIAMS Entry Information: Given Names
First name/s: Joseph
Surname: Williams
First Address: 67 Threadneedle Street City/Town: London Country: United Kingdom
Trade: Gunmaker
Dates: 1827-1840
Notes:
Joseph Williams went into partnership with David Gameson in 1827 at 67 Threadneedle Street. He was made a freeman of the Farriers Company by redemption in 1833. David Gameson had become a gun maker in 1805 at 3 Chamber Street; between 1806 and 1824 he was not recorded, but from 1825 to 1832 he was recorded at 23 Chamber Street.
In 1827 Gameson & Williams was formed. From 1830 they traded under their own names from 67 Threadneedle Street (Gameson & Co and Joseph Williams).
David Gameson appears to have ceased trading in 1832, and Joseph Williams appears to have ceased trading in 1840
John Sergeant Witton was apprenticed to David Gameson and then worked for Joseph Williams before establishing his own business.

I was emailing for a while with Rudyard but we / he / me have gone quiet. Not sure what has happened. Could have just run out of conversation?
As for my "whereabouts, I have been in rural Wanganui, "without an h" for 6 years after relocating from West Auckland wherein I dwelt for some 40+ years. Will never go back there again :>)

Attachments

• V8.jpg
    V8.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 15

Latest posts

Back