• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Greeting from Missouri

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just thought I'd sign up here to see some of what you folks are using and building. I'm not new to muzzleloading been shooting and building smoke poles for 40+ years. For years I was involved in rendezvous camping, shooting and trading. Was involved with the Corp of Discovery during the Lewis and Clark bicentennial. but alas I'm getting older now and camping on the cold ground isn't what it used to be. Still go to the gatherings but it's shooting only now.

Just thought I'd sign up here to see some of what you folks are using and building. I'm not new to muzzleloading been shooting and building smoke poles for 40+ years. For years I was involved in rendezvous camping, shooting and trading. Was involved with the Corp of Discovery during the Lewis and Clark bicentennial. but alas I'm getting older now and camping on the cold ground isn't what it used to be. Still go to the gatherings but it's shooting only now.

Welcome from the north west part of the show me state. Same here, grew up around muzzleloaders (rifle, shotgun and in the last 30 or so years pistols. early on I joined a group but that got old in a hurry, wasted lead and powder, a whole bunch of chiefs and no Indians. Slept on the ground in Army, so that wasn't great either. I guess I have always preferred to hunt and tinker with the old weapons. Don't have a thing against the people that enjoy trying to revive the old ways. For 18 years of my young life I thought the old ways were the most up to date.
Some of my greatest enjoyment is watching people shoot. Right now I am working on an old Jukar .45 kentucky pistol that has been butchered from a kit several years ago. The action and barrel are solid and instead of chopping out a new stock I thought I would make repairs to the original since a lot of modern repair articles have come on the market. I have thought several times that a new stock would be the easiest way to go, and the old Jukar isn't going to be worth much, It is just a challenge.

Last edited:
Welcome from the north west part of the show me state. Same here, grew up around muzzleloaders (rifle, shotgun and in the last 30 or so years pistols. early on I joined a group but that got old in a hurry, wasted lead and powder, a whole bunch of chiefs and no Indians. Slept on the ground in Army, so that wasn't great either. I guess I have always preferred to hunt and tinker with the old weapons. Don't have a thing against the people that enjoy trying to revive the old ways. For 18 years of my young life I thought the old ways were the most up to date.
Some of my greatest enjoyment is watching people shoot. Right now I am working on an old Jukar .45 kentucky pistol that has been butchered from a kit several years ago. The action and barrel are solid and instead of chopping out a new stock I thought I would make repairs to the original since a lot of modern repair articles have come on the market. I have thought several times that a new stock would be the easiest way to go, and the old Jukar isn't going to be worth much, It is just a challenge.
Competition shooting has be pretty much a bust this year but fortunately I own my own range so can still get out for practice.
If all goes well next year I'm hoping to go down to Fort de Chartres in April for the trade fair and competition shooting.

Welcome aboard Andy. How were you involved with the L&C re-creation? I was lucky enough to run into those boys when they had their keel boat docked at Washington.

Welcome aboard Andy. How were you involved with the L&C re-creation? I was lucky enough to run into those boys when they had their keel boat docked at Washington.

I was a member of Corp of Discovery for several years and played the part of Joseph Field. There were actually two keel boats the first one burned in a warehouse fire in 1996, the second was complete in 2001. Glen Bishop who had built the first one was pretty disheartened with the lose and just about gave up. We convinced him build another which was a massive undertaking when you're building a 55 foot wooden boat by hand.
Both boat were featured in films, the first one was in "Undaunted Courage" , second one in a short film made here in Missouri.
I'm the guy leaning on the rifle at 3:55 in the film.

Back