• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

GPR vs Mountain Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PRB or bullets? You sorta have to pick which you want to hunt with and go from there. Any of the guns you listed will do the job. As will a TC Hawken. (what I have). So maybe you are deciding between a relatively fast twist .45 or .50 or a slow twist deep rifled .54. I get better accuracy with bullets than the PRB but that may be due to my lack of knowledge and skills.

Last edited:
Trying to decide on gun for deer hunting. Have looked at 50 and 54 in GPR and CVA Mountain Rifle and Browning Mountain Rifle. All seem to be okay for that purpose. Any thoughts?? Thanks.
When you mount them, which one fits you best? Try mounting it with your hunting jacket on.
If you place your shot well, any of them, in either caliber, will kill a deer.

About that Browing Mountain Rifle thing, the ones I've seen are nicely made. The one guy I knew who owned one, a .50 he decked a moose with, and loved it. All good however I'm certain I've recently read replacement main springs are impossible to find. I don't know how often they fail but I believe one person recounted breaking two of them.

Might be worth a bit of research before investing in the Browning, they usually sell for a pretty fair chunk of dough.

I'd like to find an older cherry Lyman GPR in .54 for the right price.
The unattainable main springs for the JBMR are available you just have to do some searching or be on the look out. I recently picked up a couple for back up. The only other issue I’ve seen with these is the stock seems prone to developing a crack at the lower butt plate screw.

Back