• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

GPR Vent Liner length

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently measured the length of four vent liners for a GPR .50 cal.: two Lyman and two RMC. I came up with four different lengths. Has anyone ever looked into the barrel thickness of the .50 cal. GPR at the touchhole?

GPR has a straight barrel ( no swamp or taper) so barrel wall is the same at muzzle and touch hole. Use calipers then measure from bottom of a groove to outside flat. Make the liner a few thousandths shorter.

The touch holes on Lyman flintlocks enter the chambered breech. Caliber and barrel wall thickness have nothing to do with the length of the touch hole channel.

You are right. Sorry I forgot about the GPRs having a chambered breech and one of my flinters has one. :idunno: Oh well, senior moment I guess.

In the case of chambered breeches, does the length of a liner make any difference?
TC

In the case of chambered breeches, does the length of a liner make any difference?

Not that I can see. The only possible problem would be if the liner were so long that it extended into the chamber. I know of no liner that long. A liner being shorter than the channel is not an issue.

To measure the hole length it's easy to put a sharp 90 degree bend in a piece of wire to make a gauge.
Hook the bend down in there on the backside of the hole, mark the wire at the flat on the barrel, pull it out and see what it measures.

Back