• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Vent size and powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If white lightning liners help ignition in poorly designed flint guns...... Do they NOT help ignition in well designed flint guns?

Obviously you do not like them, I have used them for decades and do like them and see no reason to have one coned on the outside for no other reason than it is butt ugly to me.

Internally coned liners such as the White Lightning certainly do help ignition as they are part of a well designed flint ignition process. I find that using a small brush for cleaning paint sprayers clean out the internal cone to bring fresh powder close to the touch hole and pan.

Internally coned liners such as the White Lightning certainly do help ignition as they are part of a well designed flint ignition process. I find that using a small brush for cleaning paint sprayers clean out the internal cone to bring fresh powder close to the touch hole and pan.
I can easily make a WL style liner but have been experimenting with my own ideas in reversing the profile which seems to work just as well without the nasty side blast WL liners are famous for. As I have previously stated time and use will tell if it is as good or not but what I have found is that good ignition does not require a WL liner if all else is as it should be in the build.

Swiss 3F has pretty small granules, smaller I think, than say, 3F Goex. All the touch holes in my battery are drilled out to 1/16". Still I've found that, at least on some rifles, a slap or three on the off side lock panel can leave a few granules of 3F in the pan though not always. Seldom do I see this other than when smacking the lock panel several times. Since I have yet to burn out a liner it usually doesn't even enter my mind.

Swiss 3F has pretty small granules, smaller I think, than say, 3F Goex. All the touch holes in my battery are drilled out to 1/16". Still I've found that, at least on some rifles, a slap or three on the off side lock panel can leave a few granules of 3F in the pan though not always. Seldom do I see this other than when smacking the lock panel several times. Since I have yet to burn out a liner it usually doesn't even enter my mind.
I have to wonder how many folks actually realize when a liner is eroded enough to effect accuracy and ignition. It's often hard to tell with off hand shooting which is what most of us do most of the time.
A 5-10 shot group shot over sand bags from a bench rest will tell the story usually. Three shot groups don't mean much generally but five starts to tell the story and 10 will for sure. When you start getting unexplained fliers or the group opens up significantly it usually means it's time.

Latest posts

Back