• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Vent Liner Learning Curve

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I had read so many posts on don't take them out, then others say take them out. So mine has been in my rifle for a year. Yesterday i decided to take it out n have a look. 2 things i found i did not like, one there was a nasty spot of rust working on the coned inside. I worked it over fairly well cleaning it. 2nd i found that when mine is snugged it protrudes into the Breech. It does have a Patient breech, .40 cal jag could not go down to breech plug face. I put on my old .32 jag n it goes by the patiend breech area to rest on plug. I also tested the Vent liner by installing it while jag was resting there. It locks the jag tight, so i learned the liner needs some removal for clearance. Some of that maybe part of the problem from Factory parts. I am off to see the Wizard.

I had read so many posts on don't take them out, then others say take them out. So mine has been in my rifle for a year. Yesterday i decided to take it out n have a look. 2 things i found i did not like, one there was a nasty spot of rust working on the coned inside. I worked it over fairly well cleaning it. 2nd i found that when mine is snugged it protrudes into the Breech. It does have a Patient breech, .40 cal jag could not go down to breech plug face. I put on my old .32 jag n it goes by the patiend breech area to rest on plug. I also tested the Vent liner by installing it while jag was resting there. It locks the jag tight, so i learned the liner needs some removal for clearance. Some of that maybe part of the problem from Factory parts. I am off to see the Wizard.
The liner doesn't need to be removed for clearance of the cleaning jag and patch. The liner needs to be shortened so the protruding end of the liner in the barrel doesn't interfere the cleaning jag. Actually, I see rereading the entry that Smokepolehall understands that it is the liner that needs to be shortened (have a few of the threads removed from the end). The touch hole liner shouldn't need to be removed for cleaning of the firearm.

Ah now i am going to get confused, lol. The Patient breech is a rough estimate of 3/4" long. So to get my .32 jag to BP face i need to take about 1 to 1 n half threads removed from vent liner. So the jag can go by to clean the Patient breech. Once i see if this light mod will help the ignition improve over the rough estimate of 1/4 second delay. Then i will invest in SS vent liners. If it does not get rid of the delay i will be trading this rifle off.

Ah, @smokepolehall, I see the problem. You have a patient breech that is waiting to ignite the T7 charge and needs to be updated to a patent breech. Excuse me for putting in that last bit of stupid comment. Let's try to solve the problem.

Your rifle has a chambered breech (often referred to as a patent breech) and the touch hole liner is installed to enter in the chamber. Can you identify your rifle by manufacturer and model?

Let's take a look at a drawing of your chambered breech. Yours is probably the first breech pictured.

1690987163493.jpeg

You will benefit from a coned liner that opens toward the chamber. I'm surprised that your liner is long enough to penetrate to the chamber and interfere with the cleaning jag, but it obviously does. So, it needs to be shortened. Wiping the chamber with the 32 caliber cleaning brush is a good practice and will remove fouling from the breech face and chamber. The touch hole liner will need to be cleared of fouling also. I use a paint tip cleaning brush from Harbor Freight. What is the diameter of the touch hole? I recommend a 1/16" touch hole diameter. What powder are you using? Real black powder of 3Fg granulation is what I recommend. You may want to use a number drill to open the touch hole a bit more. If the 1/16" touch hole is still delayed, I recommend the #50 drill. Don't enlarge the touchhole to be larger than 5/64". Hopefully, using a larger touchhole will solve the delay and shortening the liner will provide clearance for your jags.

#530.05951.5113
1/16 in0.06251.5875
1.6 mm0.06301.6000
#520.06351.6129
1.7 mm0.06691.7000
#510.06701.7018
#500.07001.7780
1.8 mm0.07091.8000
#490.07301.8542
1.9 mm0.07481.9000
#480.07601.9304
5/64 in0.07811.9844

Ah, @smokepolehall, I see the problem. You have a patient breech that is waiting to ignite the T7 charge and needs to be updated to a patent breech. Excuse me for putting in that last bit of stupid comment. Let's try to solve the problem.

Your rifle has a chambered breech (often referred to as a patent breech) and the touch hole liner is installed to enter in the chamber. Can you identify your rifle by manufacturer and model?

Let's take a look at a drawing of your chambered breech. Yours is probably the first breech pictured.

View attachment 241685

You will benefit from a coned liner that opens toward the chamber. I'm surprised that your liner is long enough to penetrate to the chamber and interfere with the cleaning jag, but it obviously does. So, it needs to be shortened. Wiping the chamber with the 32 caliber cleaning brush is a good practice and will remove fouling from the breech face and chamber. The touch hole liner will need to be cleared of fouling also. I use a paint tip cleaning brush from Harbor Freight. What is the diameter of the touch hole? I recommend a 1/16" touch hole diameter. What powder are you using? Real black powder of 3Fg granulation is what I recommend. You may want to use a number drill to open the touch hole a bit more. If the 1/16" touch hole is still delayed, I recommend the #50 drill. Don't enlarge the touchhole to be larger than 5/64". Hopefully, using a larger touchhole will solve the delay and shortening the liner will provide clearance for your jags.

#530.05951.5113
1/16 in0.06251.5875
1.6 mm0.06301.6000
#520.06351.6129
1.7 mm0.06691.7000
#510.06701.7018
#500.07001.7780
1.8 mm0.07091.8000
#490.07301.8542
1.9 mm0.07481.9000
#480.07601.9304
5/64 in0.07811.9844
I have a Pedersoli .45 cal Scout.I have drilled the vent to 1/16". Yes the vent threads extend into the chamber. My .32 cleaning jag will n does go into the patient breech chamber once i remove the vent liner. Of course i have learned by this i was not getting a good clean bore at the BP area n fouling was building up in the area.

Back