• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Good news....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brit I grew up in the part of New Jersey that produced a lot of people that preferred to skirt the law. Unfortunately I learned how to be devious at an early age. At 79 years old I just can't seem to break that train of thought when I feel that the politicians are trying to stick it to me!
Good man ...

dont want to loose you againe. [ really jesse :) ] can you move here? may buy ya a little time the way things are going here also.:mad:
Here is Jess having a lesson several years ago on yet another dumb law change.
It became illegal to hunt hares with dogs, rabbits yes, hares no. Jess was a keen hare hunter so I had to explain it to her and I kid you not since that day she has left hares alone!
IMG_20160725_181915.jpg

If they can't ban the gun, they'll ban the ability to use it. That seems to be the mantra of all anti gun elements these days.

A situation like that if it were me, would be to file it under what I call the 95% rule. I tell everyone, I'm only 95% honest. A case such as this would have me invoking my other 5%, and Id ignore that ruling as long as I could get away with it..

These stupid laws come about because ALL governments want to control all citizens from birth to death. There are many in the population who think because they don't like something they want to keep you from doing/having/owning anything they don't approve of. Slavery is the natural preference of modern man. They scream, "protect me from anything in life that offends me and punish those who enjoy those things that offends me". So they take from a huge part of the population anything that offends society's dregs.

Britain, brainless Britain is on the cusp of banning lead ammunition.
This is going to force me off the web, if I want to continue hunting with my muzzloaders that is.
Ha, for you too... :(
It is the same way on this side of the Channel: the small fine shooting lead is replaced by steel in the wet zones, and the bismuth begins to appear for the smooth bore.
They are talking about this for target shooting too, but it'll be only the bismuth I guess: steel won't perhaps give a good job with the rifled barrels... :(

Here is Jess having a lesson several years ago on yet another dumb law change.
It became illegal to hunt hares with dogs, rabbits yes, hares no.
The point you are apparently missing is that brown hare numbers in the UK are declining and they are a protected species. Rabbits are not protected and are considered a pest.

I have been wondering something. Has anyone ever had a warden pull the loads on your ML's to see if they were lead? And, just for giggles, I like to load a few rounds in pill bottles. I wonder if I mixed steel shavings/filings in with lead balls.........
Sorry. Can't help myself. Descended from people who ignored game laws to live.

The point is to make the game laws so onerous and difficult that they are impossible to follow. The hunting regulations in some former Soviet countries could have been written by Kafka…..

We can always make room for JUST ONE red coat 😉
Heck yes we can. Even though we went to war with your country twice a long time ago because they were treating us (their own, really) just like they're treating their own now, I think it is safe to say we ain't holding no grudges! Sell your stuff and fill out some papers. Get on a boat before it's too late.

I have helped to pioneer an alloy specifically for bullet casters who wish to hunt with their own cast bullets in areas which forbid lead projectiles, or for those who wish to hunt with antique guns and cartridges which are unsuitable for solid copper bullets. This was strictly for the sorts of weapons wendo not discuss here, but I mention it because my experience with the alloy allows me to provide a few facts that may be helpful with regard to muzzleloader projectiles.

Lead free, hand-castable alloy suitable for hunting will work as a patched round ball in a smoothbore and I think would require a sabot to work in a rifled barrel due to being too tough to ram if big enough to imprint and grip the patch. It makes good cast shot but range is reduced. The alloy is basically Bismuth and tin tempered with a small amount of antimony and is similar to commercial Bismuth shot except not as brittle and is more finely grained so is very suitable for cartridge guns. The alloy is available from Rotometals under the name "lead free bullet casting alloy".

Latest posts

Back