• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Good day for old guns

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I got a call from a friend needing to get rid of his uncles stuff. I knew of his uncle who passed away 5 years ago. I didnt know he was into guns. I went over to check things out and came home with this stuff. I’m trying to figure out the caliber on the rifles. A .375 ball is too big. Was a good score.

IMG_6987.jpeg

Depending on age, some of those caps or at least the tin are collected by some people. Unopened

I got a call from a friend needing to get rid of his uncles stuff. I knew of his uncle who passed away 5 years ago. I didnt know he was into guns. I went over to check things out and came home with this stuff. I’m trying to figure out the caliber on the rifles. A .375 ball is too big. Was a good score.

View attachment 266067
Shoot! There’s $500 worth of percussion caps there! 😎

That's a great haul, @T4halo1 ! There's some great stuff in that collection.

Regarding bore size, you can use the smooth shanks of fractional and letter-gauge drill bits as plug gauges to get a pretty good idea of your bore size. Try for the largest one that will "go," and then mike the shank to double check. This may save you some expense trying different balls.

I'll bet the caps and ammo are good. The last time I went to the range, I shot with some Alcan #12 caps my dad and I bought back in the sixties, using an old 1/4-28 nipple that was sized for them. They were as good as new. Maybe better than new, if some of the reports are true about faulty caps these days. If the caps in your collection were mine and the tins have been opened, I would not hesitate to use them. I would save the tins, though.

Thanks for showing all of this!

Notchy Bob

Back