• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

General question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firehawk

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hello, when my Uncle passed away his basement was full of stuff. My aunt recently found this and I think it is PART of a muzzle style gun, but not really sure.

All I can make out on the side of the stock is M Vance I think. Unfortunately, it does not have the barrel and I think part of the wood is broken.

I'm not really sure if this has any value or can be restored, too far gone, worth doing?

I just happened to find a post on here with the same name and am assuming this is a muzzle loader type gun.

Any information, thoughts you can supply would be awesome. This is way beyond my knowledge of guns.

Thank you.

Attachments

• 20230922_170812.jpg
    20230922_170812.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 3
  • 20230922_170822.jpg
    20230922_170822.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
According to my aunt he wanted to restore it but he loved his work and never really took time to do stuff like this... I don't know if she has the barrel. I'll try to get a better picture of the front of wood to show damage later.

Sorry I don't get much time to respond. I'm in Commie Jersey. Does anyone know if there are any gun experts in this area that I can bring this to and evaluate it?

Not even sure if there is a specific name I should be looking up. Muzzle loader gun Smith, old fashioned gun restoration? Any thoughts?

Sell it to somebody here on the forum. There are people here capable of restoring that gun, and happy to do it. I doubt if you'll find a gunsmith that would care to take that job for any price.

Sorry I don't get much time to respond. I'm in Commie Jersey. Does anyone know if there are any gun experts in this area that I can bring this to and evaluate it?

Not even sure if there is a specific name I should be looking up. Muzzle loader gun Smith, old fashioned gun restoration? Any thoughts?
It has no value and can't be fixed without the barrels.

The quality of the checkering and the ornamentation on the lock plate suggest a good or high quality gun. I concur that searching that basement for the barrel is your next step. There are people on this forum who are capable of the work. Would also suggest you find a copy of the now defunct Double Gun Journal. A number of excellent smiths advertised in it. Doug Turnbull Restorations is one that I recall.
You had best really like the gun, because this will not be cheap.

Hello, when my Uncle passed away his basement was full of stuff. My aunt recently found this and I think it is PART of a muzzle style gun, but not really sure.

All I can make out on the side of the stock is M Vance I think. Unfortunately, it does not have the barrel and I think part of the wood is broken.

I'm not really sure if this has any value or can be restored, too far gone, worth doing?

I just happened to find a post on here with the same name and am assuming this is a muzzle loader type gun.

Any information, thoughts you can supply would be awesome. This is way beyond my knowledge of guns.

Thank you.
Wood can be repaired. No point in replacing anything if it's going to cost more that it's worth. Kind of like Davy Crockett's tomahawk: the handle has been replaced three times and the head twice. Now it's not really his tomahawk. Many old guns are just that, decorators or parts items. Other than nostalgia or family heirloom value, little reason to bend over backwards to 'restore'.

Latest posts

Back