• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Value of original 1851 Navy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flak Jacket

32 Cal
Reaction score
My son in-laws friend's uncle is selling off his black powder stuff and asked if I would be interested. One of the things he has is an original 1851 Navy. I handled it briefly and shot it a couple of years ago. About all I can remember there is no finish left on it and someone and turned the V on the hammer into a squared notch. Hopefully I'll get a chance to check it out more closely. What should I look for and what would be a fair price?

Check gunbroker for comps. As for the notch, Blackie Thomas does similar on utube when dialing in for windage. Manipulating the rear is a lot easier than changing the front, per Blackie.

Good advice stated above on values.

Posting clear, close up pictures of the 1851 Navy will help members help you. Look for matching numbers including the wedge and top flat of the loading lever. Front sights are often changed. Barrels are often loose against the frame, etc.

Your posting details and pictures showing the condition will help a lot.

Years ago a casual gun show acquaintance bought a Colt 1851 Navy .36 that looked original to him. He paid above $3,000 and later found out the gun had major repair / restoration while keeping the "original" look. It was worth less than half what he paid.

Can I say this? Buying old ones is for serious antique investors. Just like art.
On here most are shooting italian repros, having fun with <$400 pistols.
There are serious antique buyers out there. Like Robert said about his friend, you can get in over your head. I have 3 Ubertis which i get to shoot a couple times a week. I see a lot of rusted pitted originals asking for many thousands of dollars, not interested. Im in it for the fun, not investing.
But thats just me.

Last edited:
I have a friend who has a large collection of original percussion revolvers. He said you had better know what you are looking at and what to look for. A lot of originals have had replacement parts fitted over the years which lower the value. Especially internals where you can't see them. Refinishes that have faded to look old fool the novice. People are very very good at antiquing things now. Altered firearms like the notch you mentioned will lower the value. Best bet is to have it checked out by a very knowledgeable person before buying if you are going to drop a good sized chunk of change on one.

I have a friend who has a large collection of original percussion revolvers. He said you had better know what you are looking at and what to look for. A lot of originals have had replacement parts fitted over the years which lower the value. Especially internals where you can't see them. Refinishes that have faded to look old fool the novice. People are very very good at antiquing things now. Altered firearms like the notch you mentioned will lower the value. Best bet is to have it checked out by a very knowledgeable person before buying if you are going to drop a good sized chunk of change on one.
I just had a friend offer to me what’s supposed to be an original Colt 1860 for $1400. Too rich for my blood but I’d love to have it. But as you mentioned above I could never tell if it’s truly an original.

As Rifleman said, prices are all over, but doubt you could get even a beat up one for less than a thou. Have to be through in examination; bought one on an internet auction a dozen years or so that had rather extensive damage not visible in photos, but I didn't pay that much. Also have one with a replacement cylinder, done quite well, including serial number, and closer examination with other minor damage I surmised someone fired it with smokeless and blew the original cylinder. Again, bought it anyway as it was martially marked and not overly expensive. As aways, buyer beware.

I'm not an expert. These are things I would personally check for.
Where did he get the revolver from? Any history on the revolver is good to have. Check the markings and see if they are correct and that the serial numbers match. The grip frame, grips(marked with pencil on the inside), trigger guard, the frame, the cylinder, the barrel wedge, and the barrel all should have serial numbers that hopefully match, and they should be int he same font. If they are not marked they may be replacements; the wedge is usually the culprit here. If all numbers match it adds to the value, if they don't it takes away. A lot of these are found in the white but that often lowers the value some. If there is any finish or patina on them it adds to the value. You can check for remnants of the original finish-there is usually case hardening left on the rammer where it pivots on the barrel, there is usually some case hardening left on the frame under the trigger guard, the trigger guards and grip frames were sometimes silver plated brass so you can find remnants of that on the undersides of them. Modifying the rear sight and front sights were fairly common for guys that actually used them a lot. If the modification is historic and wasn't just done by the guy you might buy it from, that can add value or at least not take value away. If its the original front sight it will usually be worn down. Look at the bore condition and condition of the screws. 99% Originals will not have a perfect bore. They will be worn and pitted to some degree. The screw heads on originals will usually be messed up or worn to some degree or another. Fakes often get the color right, but the screws and bore will be perfect. It sounds like the timing and lockup are fine if its been shot. If you plan on shooting it, which you should in my opinion, check the nipples on the cylinder. A lot are rusted in place and require drilling out. If its the original cylinder and you can get the nipples out, that is a huge plus if you want to shoot it. As far a price, they start around 1000 and go from there. As others have said check comparable revolvers and you might ask him what he wants for it. I've found lots of times if the owner knows it will go to a good home they are very reasonable.

Over the years we have sold many of these revolvers, its all about condition and the person wanting the firearm. Numbers matching and condition will tell you what your dealing with. Look on the auction houses websites for a good idea for value.

Buck

Back