• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Old Restarting, suggested to (re)start here.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
And "Old" in this case only means 30 years, but that was 30 years ago taught to a Teen when things were different and in many cases much easier- and probably a lot less safer (like having a massive block of lead the size of a watermelon you could shoot or hammer off whatever you needed to go quick cast).
It may matter: I'm in New York.
Everything I used to use is out in MO, so starting from scratch. A buddy from work has an 1858 Pietta that I'm going to go practice/check out as a possible entry.
What I always loved though were the rifles and muskets.
Unfortunately I have no idea what crazy things they built out there. And after all of these years and a stroke I certainly could have mixed memories, so please go gentle on inaccuracies- just point them out and I'll read up and try to correct them in my head.
My favorite was the .72, hexagonal barrel, that needed a fork. At least I didn't near that age but my Uncles did, and while it would knock me good and hard it was a beautiful to load. Was a ball as far as I can recall but I swear they showed me loading it with Minnies- so I don't know.
The second was a cartridge black powder (and yes I've spent dozens of hours googling and looking) where I thought they were around .64 with some brass straight necked cartridge. Absolutely a massive kick, almost a musket length barrel (again, teen aged with the whole perspective of height still not grown into).
I don't know if that's enough to get me started on figuring out what I used to use, and if not I'll understand- and thank you for your time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome, and ....

OK, so a hexagonal bore would likely be a Whitworth. The one below is made by Pedersoli.

WHITWORTH RIFLE.jpg

WHITWORTH.jpg

As for the cartridge rifle, if it was a version made by 1865 or earlier, and used an external cap, then we can chat about it, but..., if it used a primer in the brass, then we talk about it here. HOWEVER that doesn't mean some of the members couldn't send you a Private Message with their ideas on the subject

LD

And "Old" in this case only means 30 years, but that was 30 years ago taught to a Teen when things were different and in many cases much easier- and probably a lot less safer (like having a massive block of lead the size of a watermelon you could shoot or hammer off whatever you needed to go quick cast).
Everything I used to use is out in MO, so starting from scratch. A buddy from work has an 1858 Pietta that I'm going to go practice/check out as a possible entry.
Unfortunately I have no idea what crazy things they built out there. And after all of these years and a stroke I certainly could have mixed memories, so please go gentle on inaccuracies- just point them out and I'll read up and try to correct them in my head.
My favorite was the .72, hexagonal barrel, that needed a fork. At least I didn't near that age but my Uncles did, and while it would knock me good and hard it was a beautiful to load. Was a ball as far as I can recall but I swear they showed me loading it with Minnies- so I don't know.
The second was a cartridge black powder (and yes I've spent dozens of hours googling and looking) where I thought they were around .64 with some brass straight necked cartridge. Absolutely a massive kick, almost a musket length barrel (again, teen aged with the whole perspective of height still not grown into).
I don't know if that's enough to get me started on figuring out what I used to use, and if not I'll understand- and thank you for your time.
Welcome from the Valley of the Sun

Welcome, and ....

OK, so a hexagonal bore would likely be a Whitworth. The one below is made by Pedersoli.

View attachment 296632

View attachment 296633

As for the cartridge rifle, if it was a version made by 1865 or earlier, and used an external cap, then we can chat about it, but..., if it used a primer in the brass, then we talk about it here. HOWEVER that doesn't mean some of the members couldn't send you a Private Message with their ideas on the subject

LD
That photo is dead on with the barrel. I was always picking up externally hexagonal barrels which made me always think I'd totally f'd up my memory (there's a bunch due to cancer treatments, usually in like 2 months 'segments' that disappear until something triggers them all back).

I know we did external primers over a nipple, but they also had some in brass or paper cartridges that were breach loaded- big heavy swing block. I swear that those had primers at the back of them on a brass or copper plate.
Like I said they very well could have made these up out of parts they had. I know for a fact they weren't using smokeless (heh, that's easy) but in some cases they also made up their own (also for fireworks).
If it was a primer in the brass (probably a shotgun primer as there were tons of hunts out there), which forum should I look at? Sounds like my Uncles were even crazier than I knew.
Wish they were still around.

welcome from north carolina

I'm in New York.
Left New York quite a few years ago, and at the time one could own a cap and ball revolver with little issue. However, if one also possessed powder, ball and caps, it was required that the cap and ball revolver be on one’s pistol permit. I am not up to date on current NYS handgun rules and regulations, but doubt they have been relaxed. Check out and understand the rules if you are out with a buddy’s 1858.

Left New York quite a few years ago, and at the time one could own a cap and ball revolver with little issue. However, if one also possessed powder, ball and caps, it was required that the cap and ball revolver be on one’s pistol permit. I am not up to date on current NYS handgun rules and regulations, but doubt they have been relaxed. Check out and understand the rules if you are out with a buddy’s 1858.

.... damn. First I'd heard of that. Definitely need to read up. Thank you.

Latest posts

Back