• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

GM Drop in barrel question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john s mosby

45 Cal.
Reaction score
My new GM drop in 54 cal barrel arrived from Tip Curtis today. It dropped right in my TC. The hammer to nipple alignment is pretty close, being off just a tiny bit, not enough to worry about.

I do have one question though. At the breech end of the barrel on the top flat there is a tiny set screw. What is it for?? A sight maybe? Hope this isn't a really dumb question.
Thanks

I believe it is for mounting a scope base (yes , you can scope 'em) . Check page 5 of the booklet you got with it . :winking:

i'M THINKING ITS A SET SCREW OR LONG SCREW THAT GOES INTO THE BREECH PLUG. MIGHT BE WRONG
pardon the caps, big fingers.
doesnt seem to mess with anything on my gm 40.

DUH, when all else fails read the directions!!
Right there on page 5 it tells you it's drilled for a scope base. Guess it was a dumb question after all.

Where do you get a scope base ? What make, model, & number?

On page 5 of the GM Booklet that came with my barrel it says your barrel will accept scope mounts from Holden Scope Mounts, Quic-Kee detachable mounts and TC quick detachable and fixed mounts. It doesn't give part numbers.

I can just see me showing up at the next woods walk shoot with a big scope on my rifle. They'd laugh me all the way back to my truck. Might be good for hunting I guess.

There is no such thing as a dumb question , just dumb answears . IMHO , I think a scope on a sidelock would look kinda silly .

I've seen a few scopes on traditional rifles and they don't look all that bad. In fact a person I know has one on a T/C New England .50 caliber and it does some pretty impressive groups with maxiball. He then takes it off for the muzzleloading season.

I think you will find with the Green Mountain Barrel that they are so accurate the need for a scope will not be necessary. I really like my GMB drop ins.. All of them have been outstanding.

John S Mosby said:
My new GM drop in 54 cal barrel arrived from Tip Curtis today. It dropped right in my TC. The hammer to nipple alignment is pretty close, being off just a tiny bit, not enough to worry about.

I do have one question though. At the breech end of the barrel on the top flat there is a tiny set screw. What is it for?? A sight maybe? Hope this isn't a really dumb question.
Thanks

I have a Green Mountain LRH (1-28" rate of twist) that's 1" across the flats, and the T/C 9930 (for Renegade) scope base fits perfectly. And for those of you who are rolling their eyes, it's for long distance fooling around at the range, not for hunting. I got ahold of some 470 grain maxi-hunters in addition to the 350 gr ones I have for the normal 1-48 T/C bbls, which I'm hoping (ie, guessing) will be stable with that fast twist.

Does your Green Mt replacement barrel have the "Helicoil" niple insert?? Does the place you got your barrel have a web site?

In most cases it is not the accuracy of the barrel that is in question!

"Back in the day", before the introduction of the n-lines, I scoped literally hundreds of traditional ML rifles for customers. Drill and tap four holes and bend the hammer for a quick $50. Two scope jobs would put groceries on the table for a week.

The Quick Site see-tru mounts for the 336 Marlin worked best with the Weaver base for the 336 being second choice.

The terrible stock geometry of the TC guns is due to them being intended for use with a scope.

The barrel doesn't have the helicoil insert. I got it from The Tip Curtis Frontier Shop. He doesn't have a web site but his phone number is,
615-654-4445. His e mail address is, [email protected].
He told me he has thousands of barrels in stock without the helicoil insert. It was $190 plus $10 for shipping, and I had it in less than a week.

As you put it, "Back in the day", I put a scope on an old Zouave musket I used for hunting. It worked pretty good too. I'm talking about 1976 or so. Boy, that was a long time ago.

I'm waiting for my GM .45 1:28 bbl to arrive. It is going to get a Malcolm 6x scope, which is a nice period correct piece of optics.

Besides using a mechanical rifle rest of some sort, is there a better or more precise method for testing the accuracy of different loads other than by mounting a scope? :hmm:

Back