• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Getting caps to fire reliably

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The problem MAY be the caps since all caps seem to have different shapes. CCI and Winchester caps seem to be the same. Others (RWS, Remington, etc.) are more of a cone shape with a taper and some have straighter sides more similar to a cylinder. Placing a cylinder-shaped cap on a tapered nipple makes it bind at the bottom before seating all the way.

Trial & error is the only way I know to find out which one fits the best. I had to buy 4 different brands and sizes to find what works best for my guns.

I tried several different brands, and the Remington #10 fits the best on all 6 guns, and always fire reliably. Can't say that of the CCI or Winchester.

I did a complete tear down over the weekend. There was a lot of orange inside the frame. It surprised me how much gets in there. I've only owned this gun since Christmas, but I have shot it a bunch. Maybe 100 rounds. Anyway, I cleaned that all up and reassembled it and I can't report that it shoots any better. I can tell you that percussion caps are realy really loud in the basement. I think next step is to mark the cylinders somehow so I can determine if its the same cylinders that fail to fire each time.

I agree. I suspect nipple/cap fit. Have seen this for first time this year. Replaced nipples on the ROA and cured that. Saturday was shooting a potential buy of an Ingram under hammer 2 strikes most every time to fire. 1st step in scientific problem solving is to ACCURATELY define the problem. Test the easy ones first. Suggest removing all the nipples but one for testing so no chance of confusion and sort into 2 piles - fires first strike and requires more than one hit. If the problem of 2 strikes is consistently seen w the same nipples then the theory must be proved. It's easy enough to chuck a nipple in a portable drill, sling it slow on a file and try it again w the same caps.

The Ingram having just the one nipple will get the drill and file in the next day or 2.

"mark the cylinders somehow"

White Out works well and is easy to remove. Inexpensive water based (acrylic) craft paints come off with warm soapy water and a toothbrush as in when you clean the gun and don't damage the finish. They are also great for painting your sights.

YA....I will get some and try on my blade front site. Shot a gun for 1st time in 10 yrs +/- Sunday and COULD NOT see the target and site at the same time :shocked2: :shake: :doh: I'm old now fer sure.

I am very pleased to report that remington #11s and the Track nipples solved all my problems. I popped 18 caps without a failure and then fired 30 shots with round ball and 25br 3F without a single failure.

DO NOT use your thumb to seat caps. Use a dowel or something. If a cap detonates on a loaded chamber then very high pressure, very hot gas, will come back through the nipple and remove your thumb which makes shooting single action guns difficult. It has happened and the shooter lost his right hand thumb tip to joint.
WB

First as stated your hammer face should never actually contact the nipples. Secondly do you prime first or last???
Try priming first and once you are done placing caps on all the nipples, point the revolver down and cycle the action and each time let the hammer down with your hand easy on the seated cap. Use your thumb press on the backside of your hammer against the capped nipple until you hear a click. At this point your problem is over and you've insured each is seated properly 100%.
I'm pretty sure this practice will clear up your problem with factory or aftermarket nipples. As always does for me.

First as stated your hammer face should never actually contact the nipples. Secondly do you prime first or last???
Try priming first and once you are done placing caps on all the nipples, point the revolver down and cycle the action and each time let the hammer down with your hand easy on the seated cap. Use your thumb press on the backside of your hammer against the capped nipple until you hear a click. At this point your problem is over and you've insured each is seated properly 100%.
I'm pretty sure this practice will clear up your problem with factory or aftermarket nipples. As always does for me.
I’ve done as you suggest as a field expedient solution and it works.
Properly sized nipples combined with the proper caps will fire 9999 times out of ten thousand. Simply put, if the caps require seating with the hammer or a stick or other implement, they don’t fit the nipple. Chuck the nipple into a drill press and dress it with a file until the caps slip on and seat fully with light thumb pressure alone and that gun will fire first time every time.

Honestly I kinda prefer if they stick a little. I've never changed a nipple or had to ever alter a nipple on any of my revolvers. I have however had to plane the hammer face on plenty of them.
When I prime I seat just as I described above and I've never had any issues.

Honestly I kinda prefer if they stick a little. I've never changed a nipple or had to ever alter a nipple on any of my revolvers. I have however had to plane the hammer face on plenty of them.
When I prime I seat just as I described above and I've never had any issues.
You can’t argue with success!

A friend has a Pietta 1860 Army with the same problem. The failures to fire even occurred after he installed the Slix-Shot nipples.

I tried it and noticed that after a few shots, there was fouling building up between the frame and both sides of the hammer. This caused the hammer to drag after the trigger was squeezed; resulting in a weak striking of the cap.

We wiped the hammer and inside of the frame. Then applied some oil.

Problem solved.

DO NOT use your thumb to seat caps. Use a dowel or something. If a cap detonates on a loaded chamber then very high pressure, very hot gas, will come back through the nipple and remove your thumb which makes shooting single action guns difficult. It has happened and the shooter lost his right hand thumb tip to joint.
WB

In "Sixguns by Keith" the author noted that he had, on several occasions, had the gun fire while seating caps with his thumb, and that each time it "instantly raised a healthy blister."

Back