• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Percussion cleaning help

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm not new to muzzleloaders always used flintlocks. So I'm now getting into percussion. 3 times now with 2 different rifles I've had a problem. I will snap a cap before I load and then load. I will go to fire and nothing happens. 2 or 3 caps later still nothing. Usually ends up with me pulling the nipple and dribbling a little powder in and it goes off. After it shoots I have no issues with firing. What am I doing wrong? I'm thinking I have to much oil in the barrel but I don't use a lot.

Always remove any oil from the bore before shooting.

Be it ML or Modern.

PS: Clean the nipple too. Also, it could be you're not getting any powder near the nipple. After you pour the powder in, give the gun a few taps opposite the lock. To get that powder closer to the nipple.

What kind of percussion rifle?

Last edited:
As stated you need to clean all your oil out before loading. What you're doing is forcing oil contaminated charge powder into the cap's flame path. Use a few patches soaked with rubbing alcohol and then some dry ones. You should hear dry air rushing in and out of the nipple when you pump the last patches up and down.

Also, when you snap your cap prior to loading, a good visual is to place the muzzle near a leaf or some blades of grass and look for it to move when the cap goes off. That's a very good indicator that the entire system is clear to fire a load.

Always remove any oil from the bore before shooting.

Be it ML or Modern.

PS: Clean the nipple too. Also, it could be you're not getting any powder near the nipple. After you pour the powder in, give the gun a few taps opposite the lock. To get that powder closer to the nipple.

What kind of percussion rifle?
I have 3, a pedersoli double barrel 58 rifle (never had an issue with it), a H&R springfield stalker 45 cal. (Happened once) and just built a tradition crockett (happens all the time) I do shoot it the most though.

As stated you need to clean all your oil out before loading. What you're doing is forcing oil contaminated charge powder into the cap's flame path. Use a few patches soaked with rubbing alcohol and then some dry ones. You should hear dry air rushing in and out of the nipple when you pump the last patches up and down.

Also, when you snap your cap prior to loading, a good visual is to place the muzzle near a leaf or some blades of grass and look for it to move when the cap goes off. That's a very good indicator that the entire system is clear to fire a load.
Thanks I will do that.

Your problem will go away if you store your rifle muzzle down so that the oil doesn't flow into the breech and nipple.
You know what I just went and looked at my muzzleloaders. Everyone of my flintlock at stored muzzle down all of my percussion are stored the opposite. I have no excuse for being a idiot. I will take my walk if shame now.

Everything above with the possible exception of blowing off all those caps during this time of cap shortage. If you have an air compressor and a blower, dry out bore as stated, remove nipple and blast out the channel with the barrel pointed down and dry the bore again before heading to the range or hunting. Make sure the nipple is dry as well. A quick dunk in alcohol and a blast from the blower should do it. Works for me. Of course, Crisco nailed it as usual. I store mine muzzle down, but still follow the above protocol...because it works and I hate wasting caps. Good luck. SW

Everything above with the possible exception of blowing off all those caps during this time of cap shortage. If you have an air compressor and a blower, dry out bore as stated, remove nipple and blast out the channel with the barrel pointed down and dry the bore again before heading to the range or hunting. Make sure the nipple is dry as well. A quick dunk in alcohol and a blast from the blower should do it. Works for me. Of course, Crisco nailed it as usual. I store mine muzzle down, but still follow the above protocol...because it works and I hate wasting caps. Good luck. SW
I didnt realize there was a cap shortage until I just read a few different posts on here. Most stores in my area have caps. I may want to buy a few extra tins. Maybe it just hasn't hit here yet. With that being said I like your alcohol thing. I wonder how doing that and using caned air would work. Throw it in my range box and then not have to worry about forgetting to do it before I leave the house.

I didnt realize there was a cap shortage until I just read a few different posts on here. Most stores in my area have caps. I may want to buy a few extra tins. Maybe it just hasn't hit here yet. With that being said I like your alcohol thing. I wonder how doing that and using caned air would work. Throw it in my range box and then not have to worry about forgetting to do it before I leave the house.
Tanker, I had a can of air laying around at home and brought it with me to the range. It was the kind for cleaning computer keyboards etc. and I used a clear tube from an auto parts store from the can to the nipple hole with the nipple removed when the crud built up. Also, take a pick to the nipple while you have it out and scrape the crud from the bottom of it. It definitely helped out. SW

I have 3, a pedersoli double barrel 58 rifle (never had an issue with it), a H&R springfield stalker 45 cal. (Happened once) and just built a tradition crockett (happens all the time) I do shoot it the most though.
Get a chamber scraper for your Crockett. Especially if you shoot it a bunch. It helped me with mine.

I'm not new to muzzleloaders always used flintlocks. So I'm now getting into percussion. 3 times now with 2 different rifles I've had a problem. I will snap a cap before I load and then load. I will go to fire and nothing happens. 2 or 3 caps later still nothing. Usually ends up with me pulling the nipple and dribbling a little powder in and it goes off. After it shoots I have no issues with firing. What am I doing wrong? I'm thinking I have to much oil in the barrel but I don't use a lot.
Read about patent breech’s on this forum. Bore cleaning with a cleaning jag doesn’t clean a patent breech, unless you have a tube connected to the nipple and push your cleaning solution in and out thru it. Also, when you snap your cap are you placing it near a blade of grass to see the puff of air from your muzzle?

Stop wasting caps.

1. When cleaning the rifle run a bristled pipe cleaner in and out of then flame channel.

2. Remove all oil from bore and breech before loading. Most shooters use too much oil.

3. After loading the powder, lean the barrel lock side down and give the stock a couple whacks. This allows powder to enter the patent breech and flame channel.

If you must pop caps first shove a dry patched ramrod into the breech. After popping a cap check the patch.

Stop wasting caps.

1. When cleaning the rifle run a bristled pipe cleaner in and out of then flame channel.

2. Remove all oil from bore and breech before loading. Most shooters use too much oil.

3. After loading the powder, lean the barrel lock side down and give the stock a couple whacks. This allows powder to enter the patent breech and flame channel.

If you must pop caps first shove a dry patched ramrod into the breech. After popping a cap check the patch.
I have always snapped a cap or two after a complete cleaning.

I use oil and my ML's don't rust in this humid climate. Not all climates are the same.

I used to use pipe cleaners but no more. Now I spray some kind of cleaner down into the flash channel (Windex or carb cleaner) and follow up with compressed air (when home) and a clean patch. You might be amazed at how much more crud one comes out after a complete cleaning, spraying some sort of cleaning agent into the flash channel, shoot some compressed air down through it and out into the bore, then follow up with a clean patch.

Snapping a cap or two after cleaning is not a waste to IMO. It is a preventative measure that provides more confidence during a hunt.

I do wrap on the lock side of the buttstock after pouring powder down the barrel.

I never have misfires.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back