• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gardening ..again

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I grew the Cherokee purple cherry sized tomatoes last year, and will say they were fantastic to snack on with a little dash of Tajin.

🤣 To be honest friend, I've never tried Dukes, or Blueplate. I have heard it sparks fierce debates in some circles. I will say I'm not a fan of miracle whip.
Guess it's like chocolate vs vanilla. But, for me, Dukes is better suited to tomatoes.
I suspect Miracle Whip is a refinery byproduct.
As a kid would carry a salt shaker to the garden and munch on a tomato like it was an apple.

Guess it's like chocolate vs vanilla. But, for me, Dukes is better suited to tomatoes.
I suspect Miracle Whip is a refinery byproduct.
As a kid would carry a salt shaker to the garden and munch on a tomato like it was an apple.
I still do that, either salt shaker or Tajin. Miracle whip was a cheap alternative to mayonnaise created in the depression era (I watch too much history channel).

Acid? My wife says "Mortgage Lifter" tomatos (Heirloom) are too "acidy". From what I have read they are one of the least in acid content and a real nice size tomato.Anyone got a comment?
I have grown them for several years here in Indiana. They do get big and are tasty. We don't think they are high in acid. The one big problem with heirloom tomatoes is when they get close to being ripe pick them then , they over ripe real fast and go bad. Second is the plant dies early .

I am tempted to possibly try and grow one or two Mortgage Lifters this season yet but it is kind of late for seeds. If not for the fruit it would be to update my seeds. Plus I have no more room in the full sun.

Bama or Duke's mayo.

I am surprised they were able to market that stuff.
🤣 I kinda figured I would've started a dialogue over mayo preference. Not a bad thing, just means our fresh off the vine mater sammiches are something we all take seriously. Even though some of you guys are using the wrong mayo 🤣 (sorry, couldn't resist).

Actually I prefer my bread in the form of a stale homemade biscuit. Maybe we should wait until someone posts his first ripe mater and then fire up a thread on this topic.
I don't have the discipline to leave any biscuits behind. I have a buddy that's a shade tree bee keeper, and warm from the oven biscuits with butter and honey would be my on list for my last meal on earth.

When the tomatoes start coming in I will eat at least one tomato sandwich each day, sometimes two. Salt, pepper, and (sorry @Piquant) Dukes mayonnaise. But Blue Plate mayonnaise would be the only 2nd choice. Luckily I’ve never eaten miracle whip, don’t think I want to either.
First ripe mater is a bloody sacrifice consumed in the garden without any embellishments, in sight of his immature friends.

🤣 I kinda figured I would've started a dialogue over mayo preference. Not a bad thing, just means our fresh off the vine mater sammiches are something we all take seriously. Even though some of you guys are using the wrong mayo 🤣 (sorry, couldn't resist).
Any mayo would be the wrong mayo. Y'all are ruining the flavor of the tomato. Tomatos taste great by themselves, they don't need any help from mayo.

Back