• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gardening ..again

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, but I was referring to planting dates back home in Louisiana. But even there we don’t plant until after Easter. Up at my camp I’ll add another couple of weeks to that. We’ll have a couple of light freezes next week.
It's always a toss up. Being too early or too late can just be a matter of a few days, sometimes!

No way would I ever use human waste....
I never have and dont intend to use human, dog, or cat waste.They all contain Pathogens. All manures do, I suppose. I have heard of tomato growers who use their own urine as a nitrogen rich fertilizer, sorry I can't bring myself to do that. I try to go organic but that's a little far in my opinion.

I was at an educational seminar recently and the presenter mentioned that our fruits and veggies and less nutritious now because they're not allowed to ripen on the plant, since it takes time to ship them to the stores and they don't want them to rot, so homegrown should be more nutritious.

I was at an educational seminar recently and the presenter mentioned that our fruits and veggies and less nutritious now because they're not allowed to ripen on the plant, since it takes time to ship them to the stores and they don't want them to rot, so homegrown should be more nutritious.
Yes that sounds very reasonable. That and you know where it came from, and who handled it. Etc., and in my opinion tastes better.

In that scenario he was probably right. Plus I imagine he was talking about today's "flavorless" hybrids.I doubt anyone plucking a vine ripened veggie from his own garden would have anything to worry about.We are certainly not shipping to anyone, are we?

Someone left 5-6 potatoes on the counter top at our church kitchen last month. They have sprouted and it was up to me to clean up. I figured I may as well plant them. Cut up, I got 17 pieces out of them. I haven't had much experience in potato planting. Is it too late? (I'm in South Texas) How deep a trench or how much soil goes on top of the "seed". I think they had purple flowers, at least I can maybe attract some bees if I don't eat them.
I can't plant potatoes or sweet potatoes in the ground because of mice. First time I grew sweet potatoes, planted in rose like they said to do they were big but mice got them first. Last year planted them in 32 gal. Trash barrels and it work pretty good. Even did it with regular potatoes.

I can't plant potatoes or sweet potatoes in the ground because of mice. First time I grew sweet potatoes, planted in rose like they said to do they were big but mice got them first. Last year planted them in 32 gal. Trash barrels and it work pretty good. Even did it with regular potatoes.
Sure it was mice? Sounds like a gopher problem.

Sure it was mice? Sounds like a gopher problem.
I think and hope Indiana doesn't have gophers ,at least not like the ones out west have. These mice have another name because how big they are. I call them field mice. I kill them daily in the spring and summer. Kill them weekly in the barns. For some reason there are no snakes around, stray cats don't last long.

I have heard to use a wire mesh on the bottom of your raised bed to keep mice and moles from eating your plants. Never tried it myself, always forget the wire when building a box.

I never have and dont intend to use human, dog, or cat waste.They all contain Pathogens. All manures do, I suppose. I have heard of tomato growers who use their own urine as a nitrogen rich fertilizer, sorry I can't bring myself to do that. I try to go organic but that's a little far in my opinion.
My understanding is the proper manure for fertilizer is from ruminants, not carnivores. It also needs composting so it heats enough to kill the seeds it contains.

I have heard to use a wire mesh on the bottom of your raised bed to keep mice and moles from eating your plants. Never tried it myself, always forget the wire when building a box.
I'm trying that and something less this time . The plastic trash barrel worked ( got dirt cheap at a auction) got to make sure vines don't hang down to the ground though. Yes it's a lot of extra work. Probably could buy at store cheaper, but what fun is that?

Someone left 5-6 potatoes on the counter top at our church kitchen last month. They have sprouted and it was up to me to clean up. I figured I may as well plant them. Cut up, I got 17 pieces out of them. I haven't had much experience in potato planting. Is it too late? (I'm in South Texas) How deep a trench or how much soil goes on top of the "seed". I think they had purple flowers, at least I can maybe attract some bees if I don't eat them.
I have yet to put those potatoes in the ground. It has showered here for the last 3-4 days and the trench dug for the planting is muddy.Cant really call it rain more of a drizzle.I somehow feel potatoes should not be placed in the mud. Would they rot instead of sproutng? Or does it even matter?

I have yet to put those potatoes in the ground. It has showered here for the last 3-4 days and the trench dug for the planting is muddy.Cant really call it rain more of a drizzle.I somehow feel potatoes should not be placed in the mud. Would they rot instead of sproutng? Or does it even matter?
Maybe plant a few and then plant the rest once it dries out a bit and see what happens?
Jay

I don't go out to the garden and pee on the tomatoes either. But as a side note, the urine of a healthy person is sterile.

Latest posts

Back