• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gardening ..again

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stopped by the nursery today. That place was a "beehive". It appears alot of other gardeners got the planting bug.I bought a six pack of Straight Neck Squash and already have them in the ground.I want 3 more plants, I usually have 9. One of the brothers who run the place gave me a packet of Louisiana Green Velvet Okra seed.He said that he had these left over from his garden.My favorite price-No Charge.This makes a person wonder, Isn't it a bit early for Okra? And have any of you had any experience with this variety?
I’ve heard of the LA green velvet, but never tried it. Should be a good variety. I know your a head of my planting schedule but you still might be a couple weeks early for okra. Okra loves warm/hot soil, it’s the last seeds I plant, usually late April here. I soak the seeds overnight before planting.

Got a brother who has a birthday on April 15th. That's usually my day for planting Okra. Okra is in the cotton family and likes warm soil. Right I am a soaker too.

I got some creole tomatoes, sweet cherry tomatoes and bell peppers in the dirt today that I pick up from the local nursery. My heirloom seedling are waiting their turn.

Attachments

• 20240312_130903.jpg
    20240312_130903.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
I will put in Bell Peppers this week. Haven't yet located the "Big Bertha"variety. I've had great luck with those. But the California Wonders are almost as good.

I will put in Bell Peppers this week. Haven't yet located the "Big Bertha"variety. I've had great luck with those. But the California Wonders are almost as good.
Those are both great plants, I’ve grown them before. Unfortunately over the last few years my Wife and I both have a little trouble digesting green bell peppers. So we’ve been planting yellow and red varieties, whatever the local nursery has that looks good. I love bell peppers, raw (except green), cooked, and stuffed with ground beef.

In the years past I used to put squash and some others plants on mounds of dirt. Or I spent time making rows. I have since learned that just planting all plants in the ground is alot less work and they do just as well. That is basically what planting is isn't it? Putting the plants "in the ground".

Stopped by the nursery today. That place was a "beehive". It appears alot of other gardeners got the planting bug.I bought a six pack of Straight Neck Squash and already have them in the ground.I want 3 more plants, I usually have 9. One of the brothers who run the place gave me a packet of Louisiana Green Velvet Okra seed.He said that he had these left over from his garden.My favorite price-No Charge.This makes a person wonder, Isn't it a bit early for Okra? The sun is out but the ground is a tad cold yet. And have any of you had any experience with this variety?
I'm lousy at growing okra, I always pick it too late, and it's like eating cedar bark. I grow good hot peppers though, at least my backyard heard think so.

I'm lousy at growing okra, I always pick it too late, and it's like eating cedar bark. I grow good hot peppers though, at least my backyard heard think so.

I thought I had grown hot peppers until I started planting Tabasco peppers a few years ago.

Those things make a bush the size of a pine sapling and boy do they produce!

I thought I had grown hot peppers until I started planting Tabasco peppers a few years ago.

Those things make a bush the size of a pine sapling and boy do they produce!
Yessir. I last planted them 2 years ago, I couldn't give enough away. Last year I grew reapers, scotch bonnets, ghost chilies, habaneros, and jalapenos. The deer devoured them. Not the jalapenos too much, but the hot hot ones, they left me high and dry. They didn't bother the bells, or the lunch box peppers, but ate the chocolate peppers too. I was looking forward to trying those. Ah well, lest they are good. Had a good tomato year too. Those Cherokee purple grape size were Dee lishous. Id get my coffee and a salt shaker and head out to the patch for breakfast. Can't wait.

I don't much care for hot peppers but I must admit all peppers that I've tried seem to grow very well down here in South Texas.And none have taken much care and looking after. Just stick em in the ground, water and weed. The neighbors will think you're a Master Gardener.

I don't much care for hot peppers but I must admit all peppers that I've tried seem to grow very well down here in South Texas.And none have taken much care and looking after. Just stick em in the ground, water and weed. The neighbors will think you're a Master Gardener.
I never knew that danged deer liked them so much. We like to make salsa in verrying degrees of painful. occasionally well have to open the kitchen window and wear a mask. That's when you know it's gonna be a good batch.😉

Pick okra the length of your middle finger. You will have to pick every day to keep it in control.
Yessir. I last planted them 2 years ago, I couldn't give enough away. Last year I grew reapers, scotch bonnets, ghost chilies, habaneros, and jalapenos. The deer devoured them. Not the jalapenos too much, but the hot hot ones, they left me high and dry. They didn't bother the bells, or the lunch box peppers, but ate the chocolate peppers too. I was looking forward to trying those. Ah well, lest they are good. Had a good tomato year too. Those Cherokee purple grape size were Dee lishous. Id get my coffee and a salt shaker and head out to the patch for breakfast. Can't wait.
Try this to control pepper eating deer. For years I have used a raw egg whipped with a fork in a cup then mixed with a quart of warm water, strained thru a wire sieve. Pour it into a spray bottle. Mist it onto your plants after dew is off. Renew after rains and every few days. It’s been cheap and effective for me.

25 years ago I bought 7 horse tiller. I could handle it fine, I wasn't quite 50 yet. A few years ago some bearings went out so I just went and bought another to replace my old one. I should have downsized.I'm getting too old for this.
My old tiller was the kind that beat you to death I was young and could handle it was using it one time and the axle broke off and the tiller ran across the ground I used to raise a big garden but it's been years and the ground has gotten super hard .I was thinking about trying to raise a bucket garden take 5 gal buckets and raise some lettuce radishes and onions with some tomatoes.. sounds like you know a lot about gardening what type of dirt do you think I need to do that if you don't mind me inquiring.

We can’t handle hot peppers anymore either, but we do grow Banana peppers that are sweet to mild. They do great at home.

My old tiller was the kind that beat you to death I was young and could handle it was using it one time and the axle broke off and the tiller ran across the ground I used to raise a big garden but it's been years and the ground has gotten super hard .I was thinking about trying to raise a bucket garden take 5 gal buckets and raise some lettuce radishes and onions with some tomatoes.. sounds like you know a lot about gardening what type of dirt do you think I need to do that if you don't mind me inquiring.
Growing in a bucket isn't any different than in the ground, good composted top soil mix in some vermiculite , voila! I usually drill 6- 3/8 or 1/2" holes in the bottom of the bucket for drainage, cover with a piece of landscape cloth, a couple 3 inches of gravel, then fill it with dirt Voila! This year I'm planting Green, Red and Yellow or Orange peppers, Sugar Snap Peas, a hill of Green Beans, Maters 2 diff cherry types and 1 slicing, Zucchini, Crook Neck Squash in buckets, Pickle Cukes go in the raised bed.

I got some creole tomatoes, sweet cherry tomatoes and bell peppers in the dirt today that I pick up from the local nursery. My heirloom seedling are waiting their turn.
Is creole a variety of tomato? I got 3 varieties of Heirloom tomatoes in the ground already and probably won't put anymore in (this year) but you have me curious about the "creole". Heirloom?

Latest posts

Back