• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

fusil de chasse

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you want to build a cows foot FDC the closests parts you can probably get would be the TOW 44"barrel "TULLE" parts set the .66 barrel will bring it at a reasonable weight and a different lock, or modification of the Davis Tulle lock would be in order the last still to short, have to settle for American Walnut and add the 16 flats at the wedding ring, this is the closest parts set available and toss the plans that come with it and use Bouchards or other references Alex has built about the best one I have seen if looking for a builder, not sure where he gets his parts.No kits or completed guns from any of the regular vendors are very close to the originals, I did one in from TOW .58 44" barrel that is just under 8lb due to barrel profile and modified the Davis lock, not a copy of the real thing but closer than what the rest of the competition offeres as kits or complete guns.

After having seen one of Alex's guns in person, I have to say that to my untrained eye, the craftsmanship was quite impressive.
I'm poor and looking for an English gun, so anything I buy will either be used or in the white, or with some assembly required, but were I looking for a French gun Alex is the guy I'd talk to.

If you want a real nice English gun one of Mr. Brooks Carolina guns are the cats arsse in my humble opine, the next peg on the ladder would be NSW

I built one from TOW with inputs of some people on here. I am probably going to redue the stock again and make it slimmer.

tg said:
If you want a real nice English gun one of Mr. Brooks Carolina guns are the cats arsse in my humble opine, the next peg on the ladder would be NSW

What I am thinking I'd like is something along the lines of the Wilson Commercial Musket on page 125 of Of Sorts for Provincials. I'm not sure who's work would get me closest to this at this point in time or how I'd go about it, but I don't have to be yet... because I can't spend the money on one just yet. I've got some time to figure it out.

I am not familiar with that gun, but would suspect that Mike could easily reproduce one to anybodys satisfaction he is one of a few who are top notch builders as well as very well studied gun historians, many are one or the other only a handfull wear both hats comfortably.

TG - I have no doubt of that. From what I've seen on here and on Brooks' site, I can't imagine anyone being disappointed with his work. But I don't need to spend the money on a musket just yet...

And as far as Mr. Efremenko is concerned, I called him last year around this time to ask about French guns and in particular, a French 1728 Musket. Quite frankly, the amount of stuff he knows about French guns is staggering. He knows stuff about French guns that most people don't even know they don't know!
I talked with him in person last year at a reenactment here in PA and looked one of his guns over. The workmanship was excellent and the gun handled like an extension of my body. IIRC, he's got a .66 caliber FDC for sale right now on a couple forums, so the OP should get in touch with him before it sells.

That is a nice gun he has for sale, a bit bigger than the common hunting gun bore but not out of line at all with originals from excavations, he has a very good price on the gun as well, his work is quite well respected by those in the know about the French guns of the 18th century, I think I may add a .66 bore barrel to mine for Turkey and to bring it down to about 7 lbs, I will keep the other barrel as well so the gun will have a wider range of usage.

Latest posts

Back